7 days free usenet access

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
lol, i've already downloaded around 10GB at least, it will be much more in the coming week
biggrin.gif

DEF-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I still can't belive that the newsgroups sites are running, I thought they would have been taken down by the likes of RIAA. Atleast I wouldnt mind seeing it happen, too easy to download stuff from there. The more that know how to, the more problems for us.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A quick tip for those who are using grabit: make a new server but input a bogus hostname and drop connections/timeout to as low as they go.

Now when you are downloading you can opt to not download an item by right clicking and clicking an item (or a bunch of selected stuff) and choosing to download with the dummy server, saves downloading and extra 10% or more for the pars/nzb/nfo/sfv/whatever unless you need them.

wabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First time i try a free offer that works that good. It max out my connection and it's smooth as butter. Thanks very much for the tip.

RayorDragonFall

I see you've played knifey-spoony before.
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not exactly sure why, but sometimes it goes down to like 0.02kbs, but after some time it continues to max out my connection. Anyone has this?
Maybe theres a cap on how much you can dl a day or something?

djgarf

I Am A Raver
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I'm not exactly sure why, but sometimes it goes down to like 0.02kbs, but after some time it continues to max out my connection. Anyone has this?

you sure it's not your isp doing that??

umm ive never used usenet before... anyone want to explain it?Â
biggrin.gif

have a read of http://slyck.com/ng.php

it looks more complicated than it actually is

ScipioAfricanus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
getting really slow speeds, and i have 20mb connection.

could anyone suggest a solution for this? This seems even slower that torrents.

i am useing newsleecher v3.8 final, it's a trail version i think could this be the problem?

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is excellent for a freebie and I thought about subscribing, but some of the prices are ridiculous (Giganews is £4 per month with a 2gb limit!)
Rapidshare is better IMO. It only costs £4 per month with unlimited downloads and it's just as fast. Only problem is that Halo3 will be on usenet up to two days earlier
frown.gif

And what's the deal with these par2 files? I downloaded most of MotoGP from RS before my subscription ran out, but when I downloaded the rest from usenet I ended up with mostly corrupt files. It's good (and clever) that they can be repaired with par2 files, but why are they corrupt in the first place?

Anyone?

djgarf

I Am A Raver
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
getting really slow speeds, and i have 20mb connection.

could anyone suggest a solution for this? This seems even slower that torrents.

i am useing newsleecher v3.8 final, it's a trail version i think could this be the problem?

are u using the 8 connections they allow?
it maxxed my 20mbit out with 8 connections

This is excellent for a freebie and I thought about subscribing, but some of the prices are ridiculous (Giganews is £4 per month with a 2gb limit!)
Rapidshare is better IMO. It only costs £4 per month with unlimited downloads and it's just as fast. Only problem is that Halo3 will be on usenet up to two days earlier
frown.gif

And what's the deal with these par2 files? I downloaded most of MotoGP from RS before my subscription ran out, but when I downloaded the rest from usenet I ended up with mostly corrupt files. It's good (and clever) that they can be repaired with par2 files, but why are they corrupt in the first place?

Anyone?

depending on how they propagate their files with other servers they mite get some incompletes but that is wot par2s are for
if ur getting into usenet seriously then i suggest a decent premium server like usenetserver

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Giganews is perhaps the most expensive news provider, it is also able to charge that because it can back it up (there are several other fantastic providers with bit less storage time and whatnot which can approach that sort of cost (especially with the dollar being so weak). I might just be extremely biased against rapidshare though (in my opinion there are far better examples of storage sites and to compare it to usenet is borderline obscene).

Still reasons for corrupt downloads:
As usenet only does ASCII characters and a few other select characters (the protocols are damn ancient: pre internet really) to post data it has to be encoded, most binary posts are encoding using the yEnc method (earlier methods include replacing the hex values with their ASCII equivalent, see Uuencode and Base64). This leaves several stages at which corruption can occur (the initial encoding, the initial transfer and propagation, the transfer from the news server to your machine (this is especially noticeable if you are after older posts) and the decoding on your machine).

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

Same thing is happening to me, as you said their server is probably unstable or something..it drops down to zero for a few hours then picks up again. Excellent speeds though, my 5mbs connection is maxed out
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work