Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfreduk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I've been around modding case etc since the good old GameCube era, having recently adopted the Nintendo switch, I've enjoyed it a lot however, I play it in handheld mode a lot but the giant screen border was really bothering me, I mean, many phone/ tablet manufacturers are pushing the screen border ever so much, and some such as Samsung went as far as to making borderless model.

So hare's my very latest mod guys, it was costly but worth it. I hope the likes of XCM adopts it and provides a similar mod to the masses.

IMG_20190829_145415.jpg
IMG_20190829_145947.jpg

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wow, Amazing mod!! Congratulations.

I thought that the Switch IPS pannels where custom, so it was impossible to swap for another one on the fly, how do you did it?
And if possible, do you think that an OLED/AMOLED display could be swapped in? That should give an amazing look to games in portable mode, and let's not talk about battery life.

Reactions: MAXLEMPIRA

Amost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wow, looks great!
Any more pictures? Of the process?
Does the switch keep the same depth?
[Edit]
Is the panel 720p or 1080p?

Last edited by Amost,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
hmmmmm....is this fake, some of the reflections don't seem to line up, plus there is little "bits" on the screen frame that are still present on the "replacement", i dont see how you would end up with a little hair still in the exact same place after removing the original digitiser

most obvious flaws
- The poster in the top right of the screen would indicate he just stretched the original screen in photoshop
- small hair on bottom left still in the exact same place even though it goes across the frame and digitiser, this would obviously be knocked loose when removing the digitiser

there is also a pretty clear hard line along the bottom of the screen

anyone genuinely doing such an impressive mod would certainly be eager to share all the guts of their work not only for "proof" but simply to show off their handy work

Last edited by gamesquest1,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi everyone, I've been around modding case etc since the good old GameCube era, having recently adopted the Nintendo switch, I've enjoyed it a lot however, I play it in handheld mode a lot but the giant screen border was really bothering me, I mean, many phone/ tablet manufacturers are pushing the screen border ever so much, and some such as Samsung went as far as to making borderless model.

So hare's my very latest mod guys, it was costly but worth it. I hope the likes of XCM adopts it and provides a similar mod to the masses.

View attachment 177817 View attachment 177818
More information required. A build log if possible with steps. This looks awesome.
I'm quite happy with the screen on the Switch as it is, but there does seem to be a lot of wasted space, and text and GUI elements in some games can get really small. A mod like this would be a total game changer if real.

Sadly does look a bit fake according to what @gamesquest1 said, but in theory there is no reason a mod like this wouldn't be possible. There isn't anything in the screen assembly that could get in the way IIRC. The biggest hurdle might be getting a replacement touchscreen digitizer. Which you can live without, very few things actually need the touchscreen, but it's nice to have.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
More information required. A build log if possible with steps. This looks awesome.
I'm quite happy with the screen on the Switch as it is, but there does seem to be a lot of wasted space, and text and GUI elements in some games can get really small. A mod like this would be a total game changer if real.

Sadly does look a bit fake according to what @gamesquest1 said, but in theory there is no reason a mod like this wouldn't be possible. There isn't anything in the screen assembly that could get in the way IIRC. The biggest hurdle might be getting a replacement touchscreen digitizer. Which you can live without, very few things actually need the touchscreen, but it's nice to have.
yeah, unfortunately a mod like this would probably have to drop the digitizer completely and just replace it with plain glass or something, I'm not too sure if the switch LCD uses any sort of custom protocol or if it would be possible to manually wire up or make an adapter for a different larger LCD, else you would probably need to do the whole thing from scratch with new case and dock built into the console to use a standard portable hdmi lcd.. . which kinda ruins the whole project idea imo

I honestly dont quite understand why people still do these fakes when they dont even bother to fix up the reflections and stuff. I dont like to be the FAKE! guy, but alas this was a low effort fake 2/10 :rofl:

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Newbie Joined Yesterday....Suspicious pic...no tutorial or proof of his work...and no answer of OP...means fake:teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.