Hacking 64gb or 128gb?

hisagishi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering if there are really enough games for a 128gb to be useful?

I mean with the prices on 128gb being so cheap I am going for it anyways (30 bucks) just want your opinions.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly you'll probably hit the limit before you fill 64gb SD card. Unless you plan on installing 16 4gb games. Even so with things like apps on the SD card you would only be able to install 15. Chances are a large majority of the games you will install are more around the 2gb or lower mark.

So really this is up to your needs. However please remember you will need to use a 3rd party program like minitool partition wizard. 64gb cannot normally be formatted for Fat32. This is the only file type the 3DS recognizes.

Exaltys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Use decrypt9 to format your card. Larger card will let you fit more homebrew and emu stuff too not just more home menu icons. Think of stuff like SCUMMVM. Some games for that are half a GB alone.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on what you want to throw on your SD card. If you are planning on installing a lot of large games, or dump a large cart collection to convert to cia, then you may want to go with 128gb. If you are just planning on downloading a few games, and a bunch of vcs/emulators, just stick to 64gb (Assuming it is much cheaper to buy a 64gb sd card compared to a 128gb one).

hisagishi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on what you want to throw on your SD card. If you are planning on installing a lot of large games, or dump a large cart collection to convert to cia, then you may want to go with 128gb. If you are just planning on downloading a few games, and a bunch of vcs/emulators, just stick to 64gb (Assuming it is much cheaper to buy a 64gb sd card compared to a 128gb one).

Do you happen to know what emulators are decent for the 3ds? I'd like to play some GBC/GBA/SP games that I never got a chance to but I dunno much about emulators vs injecting. I'll do some googleing but if you have any links that would be appreciative.

Also, I didn't know about the 300 CIA limit so thanks for that guys.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you happen to know what emulators are decent for the 3ds? I'd like to play some GBC/GBA/SP games that I never got a chance to but I dunno much about emulators vs injecting. I'll do some googleing but if you have any links that would be appreciative.

Also, I didn't know about the 300 CIA limit so thanks for that guys.
I have heard that VC injection is better for gbc/gba, but I haven't really messed with gb stuff much. Most gba games probably need n3ds processing power to run without lag.

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind, that even if both 64gb and 128gb are the same class10, the 128gb will be slower. Sharing from my experience. But hell, I have about 70 games installed, and still have over 70gb free on that 128gb SD card, which is kind of a waste to be honest. Make sure you set the cluster size over to 64k when formating it for the first time (increase speed and only loose little amount of space about 300mb for every 10,000 files )

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Honestly you'll probably hit the limit before you fill 64gb SD card. Unless you plan on installing 16 4gb games. Even so with things like apps on the SD card you would only be able to install 15. Chances are a large majority of the games you will install are more around the 2gb or lower mark.

So really this is up to your needs. However please remember you will need to use a 3rd party program like minitool partition wizard. 64gb cannot normally be formatted for Fat32. This is the only file type the 3DS recognizes.
Hitting the 300 game limit before filling up a 64 GB card would mean the games would be around 210MB each, in my experience 3DS games average around 1 GB so it should be easy to fill up even a 256 GB card without hitting the limit. Finding enough games actually worth playing to fill up 256 GB is another matter.
Just wondering if there are really enough games for a 128gb to be useful?

I mean with the prices on 128gb being so cheap I am going for it anyways (30 bucks) just want your opinions.
64 GB is a good size, but if you want to never worry about running out of space and having to delete games, I recommend a 128 GB card. The 64 GB in my Gateway is just about full but when I have to I'm sure I can find some games to delete that I'm never gonna play anyway.

Stevo_l33

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just want to add to the 128gb pool. Mines about half full with lots of games and now anime recently converted to .cia just get the 128gb you won't regret it.

hisagishi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also have a DSTwo laying around, would that be better at emulating certain systems? If so which ones?

(and can I play it from within RXTools?)

hibachib

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say get the 128GB if you can afford it. My 64GB card is nearly full, and it "only" has 150 titles installed. Note that I likes me my GBA VC injects, thus the high title count...

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Get the 128.

Between game mods, NAND Backups, an emuNAND, the games themselves, emulators and ROMS, I easily filled up by 64gig within days. Don't limit yourself.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Each person has different needs. For me, 16 GB is enough as I rarely pass the 8 GB mark. I only install a new game when I finish and delete another game. I usually only have 4 to 6 games installed at once (usually less). If you want to be a game collector 128 GB is a must. Perhaps more than one SD too.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hmmm.... I have a 64Gb one and seems reasonable. 128Gb seems OK, if you want to.
I don't put hundreds of games on the console, because it takes a horrible amount of time to convert a 3DS to .CIA and then install.

Besides, navigating a filled up home menu must be nightmarish.

I also play one/two games at a time, so that counts. I recently beat Fire Emblem: Awakening and I'll just delete it soon after playing the side quests.

I'd say, a 64Gb, given a "normal" use is more than enough, but if you want to fill the system with a bit of everything, the 128Gb is the way to go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @CameronCataclysm...