Hacking 6400mAh Battery Mod for Switch Results+Guide

DaLZy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
nice but battery from 2017? nope for me.
It's general guide. You don't neccessarily have to use the same cells as me. Anyway, depending one when you bought your switch, it might have a battery from 2017 in it anyway.
Post automatically merged:

@DaLZy
Can you please post the full guide here, not just publish a link to outside?
Is there a issue with that? I'm new here. It seems you can view the entire thing without leaving the gbatemp with the way the link is embedded.

Last edited by DaLZy,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello. I wrote the Guide below on how to upgrade the battery of your switch without changing the shell:

Nice mod. Batteries made for RC could be a better fit, if you can get the right size, since they can tolerate high current applications and use the more common 3.7V chemistry instead of 3.85V, so you wouldn't be wasting battery capacity.

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's general guide. You don't neccessarily have to use the same cells as me. Anyway, depending one when you bought your switch, it might have a battery from 2017 in it anyway.

Is there a issue with that? I'm new here. It seems you can view the entire thing without leaving the gbatemp with the way the link is embedded.
yeap and you put in there again a 6/7 year old battery :X smells like wasting money to me but good and fun project otherwise

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
He is getting a extra hour of battery life, how is this a waste?
1693653121280.png

BUuuut like i said cool project just dont use batteries this old.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

BUuuut like i said cool project just dont use batteries this old.
As long as the battery hasn't been connected to anything while in storage, it probably still has some charge left in it so it's fine to use.
If it fully drained while in storage, the battery could be damaged.
Good idea to measure the voltage of any battery that has been in storage for a long time. If below 2.5V, it should not be used (often you may be able to resurrect such a battery with a slow trickle charge but at best battery life will still be affected to some degree), but if above 2.5V it should not have taken any damage.

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As long as the battery hasn't been connected to anything while in storage, it probably still has some charge left in it so it's fine to use.
If it fully drained while in storage, the battery could be damaged.
Good idea to measure the voltage of any battery that has been in storage for a long time. If below 2.5V, it should not be used (often you may be able to resurrect such a battery with a slow trickle charge but at best battery life will still be affected), but if above 2.5V it should not have taken any damage.
dude, it was almost 7 years ago... someone who sells it probably revived it somehow i doubt that these batteries were charged to avoid damage for 7 years straight, perhaps I have trust issues :D.

DaLZy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Nice mod. Batteries made for RC could be a better fit, if you can get the right size, since they can tolerate high current applications and use the more common 3.7V chemistry instead of 3.85V, so you wouldn't be wasting battery capacity.
Any capacity gained from a 4.2v chemistry would be offset by how low the capacity density on RC batteries are. Just measured the one RC battery I have. 15mm2/mah vs 6.5mm2/mah for the phone batteries. The Switch VRM would sooner blow up than need the 25C on RC batteries. Anyways the capacity is not "wasted" anyway, charging to a lower voltage will prolong service life

Nice.. mine I modded my switch lite with 8000mah.i parallel 2 4000mah battery
Just interested, have you tested the capacity of your battery or checked the reported capacity in Hekate? My mod is also technically 8000mah, but 6400mah in reality. I imagine the lite will get more usable capacity as it charges up to 4.35v

Rodel

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Just interested, have you tested the capacity of your battery or checked the reported capacity in Hekate? My mod is also technically 8000mah, but 6400mah in reality. I imagine the lite will get more usable capacity as it charges up to 4.35v
Actually not just 8000mah its 8555mah of total here is my hekate
IMG_20230902_211447.jpg

Reactions: Illuminaticy

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ooooo I like this. Well written guide and a killer idea, will give me motivation to use my switch again - battery life just kills the fun for me. Not sure why I never researched a battery swap but here we are.
Curious what batteries @Rodel is using as well

My childhood DS still charges to 800MAH and lasts far too long for its own good - and you (OP) seem to have an understanding of what you're doing and I'm sure you tested as needed. Focusing on the seven year old battery is silly.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think the issue is more for archival purposes.
There's a lot of dead links on the internet. Who knows if/when reddit ever decides to change anything, there are more subreddit revolts, or reddit simply decides to ban/delete the SwitchHacks subreddit.

5 years from now, someone could be looking back over this thread and have no idea the steps you took.

So the preferred way would be to copy/paste the content from the Reddit post in your original post here, and then just give a link to the reddit thread. That way everyone here can see the information, even if reddit is deleted tomorrow. But at the same time, give the links and let people read the thread and comments on the reddit side as well.

DaLZy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
I think the issue is more for archival purposes.
There's a lot of dead links on the internet. Who knows if/when reddit ever decides to change anything, there are more subreddit revolts, or reddit simply decides to ban/delete the SwitchHacks subreddit.

5 years from now, someone could be looking back over this thread and have no idea the steps you took.

So the preferred way would be to copy/paste the content from the Reddit post in your original post here, and then just give a link to the reddit thread. That way everyone here can see the information, even if reddit is deleted tomorrow. But at the same time, give the links and let people read the thread and comments on the reddit side as well.
Honestly this version of the Guide will probably not be relevant for too long. There's a lot more I could do to get way more capacity(I know for a fact 11000mAh is possible). Truth be told I am a bit lazy to upload all the images again, this time to this site, and everytime I copy my post from reddit it seems to like to add extra spaces between my words that i have to painstakingly filter out.

Reactions: hartleyshc

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Honestly this version of the Guide will probably not be relevant for too long. There's a lot more I could do to get way more capacity(I know for a fact 11000mAh is possible). Truth be told I am a bit lazy to upload all the images again, this time to this site, and everytime I copy my post from reddit it seems to like to add extra spaces between my words that i have to painstakingly filter out.
It's the same issue when you try to paste text into the editor on Reddit. Their editor is just broken. I think I fixed it by turning the markdown/WYSIWYG editor off.

Kitsune_sempai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually not just 8000mah its 8555mah of total here is my hekateView attachment 391642

Did you simply stack two batteries on top of each other and wire them to the same BMS?
I want to attempt this but since I'd like to keep my flip cover I wanted to know it causes bulging or does it fit after some case trimming/shield cutting.
Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro