Hacking 512kb Card1 save not working

bache

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've just backed up my Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance retail cart and save, however the save isn't appearing when I load the ROM. The game is card1, the save is 512kb, the required firmware is 3.0.0E and the file is named 0004000000095500.sav like it should be, but alas, the save slots are empty in game.

Unless I read the sticky regarding saves wrong, this should work, shouldn't it?

bache

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah to use your own dumped save you need a dump of your own rom renamed to .3dz, as the save is tied to your carts unique header

Oh wow, it's that simple? I was under the impression that if I changed it to .3DZ, I'd need to modify the save to match.
Lemme try it, and I'll report back.

bache

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I re-dumped my save, and upon loading the ROM, I received an error message telling me my save data was corrupt. I tried dumping it again, and this time I got a message telling me my save data was reset.
I guess there's just no hope for this one :(.

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So I re-dumped my save, and upon loading the ROM, I received an error message telling me my save data was corrupt. I tried dumping it again, and this time I got a message telling me my save data was reset.
I guess there's just no hope for this one :(.
I've had the exact same issue.
As far as I can know, you can't load your own save files on emuNAND if you have previously saved the game on a 6.x+ sysNAND, because Gateway uses an older 4.5 encryption for its save files, while your retail games use a much newer encryption.
Gateway simply can't read the .sav file you're dumping.
Even if you boot on Classic Mode and you insert your KH cartridge, the save file will show up as corrupt. But don't be scared, it isn't. It's just incompatible with emuNAND.
The only way to play your retail games (that is, if you want your old save files, which I assume you do!) is to update your sysNAND to a version 6.0 and above (or just revert to your NAND backup).
Which unfortunately means that you'll have to use the web exploit (or the Android app), and that you'll still need the cartridge to play.

bache

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I can know, you can't load your own save files on emuNAND because Gateway uses an older 4.5 encryption for its save files, while your retail games use a much newer encryption.
Even if you boot on Classic Mode and you insert your KH cartridge, the save file will show up as corrupt. But don't be scared, it isn't. It's just incompatible with emuNAND.
The only way to play your retail games is to update your sysNAND to a version 6.0 and above (or just revert to your NAND backup).
Which unfortunately means that you'll have to use the web exploit (or the Android app), and that you'll still need the cartridge to play.

That would be brilliant if that was the case, but I'm actually already on 9.2.0-E. I thought that save encryption change only affected games that use a firmware greater than 6.X. Kingdom Hearts only uses 3.0.0

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
As far as I can know, you can't load your own save files on emuNAND because Gateway uses an older 4.5 encryption for its save files, while your retail games use a much newer encryption.
The only way to play your retail games (that is, if you want your old save files, which I assume you do!) is to update your sysNAND to a version 6.0 and above (or just revert to your NAND backup).
That only applies for games released after 6.x, any games released before then don't use 6.x encryption......not sure what's happening in the.Op's case, as apparently the game was released with 3.x and save is 512kb..... No reason it shouldn't be working

Just to confirm, the rom your loading up is a dump of your own original card done via the gateway menu right? You can't use a downloaded copy with a save from a cart unless you manually ripped the header and inserted it into the downloaded rom

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
That would be brilliant if that was the case, but I'm actually already on 9.2.0-E. I thought that save encryption change only affected games that use a firmware greater than 6.X. Kingdom Hearts only uses 3.0.0
That only applies for games released after 6.x, any games released before then don't use 6.x encryption......not sure what's happening in the.Op's case, as apparently the game was released with 3.x and save is 512kb..... No reason it shouldn't be working
None of my dumped save files work either, not even Ocarina of Time which had version 1.1.0.
I've tried Mario Kart, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, none of them works and none of them requires 6.x
And yes, I had them renamed to .3dz

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I thought you were talking about restoring the save made by .3ds . Didn't realize it was your own dump. Sorry I wasn't able to help earlier.

Yes. Only games that have it specified in exheader uses that.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
None of my save files work either, not even Ocarina of Time which had version 1.1.0.
I've tried Mario Kart, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, none of them works and none of them requires 6.x
There is 2 limits
1) saves doesnt use 6.x encryption
2) the save is 512kb(or card2), oot is 128KB so that wouldn't work...not sure about the others, there isn't many 512kb card 1 games in my experience

bache

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought you were talking about restoring the save made by .3ds . Didn't realize it was your own dump. Sorry I wasn't able to help earlier.

Yes. Only games that have it specified in exheader uses that.

My fault, I used poor wording.

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
There is 2 limits
1) saves doesnt use 6.x encryption
2) the save is 512kb(or card2), oot is 128KB so that wouldn't work...not sure about the others, there isn't many 512kb card 1 games in my experience
Then Mario Kart 7, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and Harvest Moon 3D should have worked. They didn't >_>
I'll try it once more and I'll report back. Just in case I missed anything the last time.
I should also rename the save files to their TitleID, right? (e.g. 00040000000B1D00.sav instead of AMHP.sav) Because GW save files are dumped with the serial number instead.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Then Mario Kart 7, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and Harvest Moon 3D should have worked. They didn't >_>
I'll try it once more and I'll report back. Just in case I missed anything the last time.
I should also rename the save files to their TitleID, right? (e.g. 00040000000B1D00.sav instead of AMHP.sav) Because GW save files are dumped with the serial number instead.
Mario Kart worked for me. I had 3 games using a 512kb save that were made before 6.x and they all worked fine when renamed to .3dz

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure did :(.

okay what I want you to do is reinstall your backup NAND and then format emuNAND again, this time don't unlink and try it. I don't know what it is but I can't get any saves to load once I unlink.

actually see if your games/carts will load the saves in classic mode first. if they do then disregard my first messages.

edit: are you using the gateway save thing or savefileeditor? I find savefileeditor much more trustworthy

bache

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
okay what I want you to do is reinstall your backup NAND and then format emuNAND again, this time don't unlink and try it. I don't know what it is but I can't get any saves to load once I unlink.

actually see if your games/carts will load the saves in classic mode first. if they do then disregard my first messages.

Classic mode won't let you boot ROMs though. Retail carts load fine in sysNAND and Classic mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hands free vr