512kb Card1 save not working

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by bache, Jan 17, 2015.

1. bache
    OP

bache GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2009
    I've just backed up my Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance retail cart and save, however the save isn't appearing when I load the ROM. The game is card1, the save is 512kb, the required firmware is 3.0.0E and the file is named 0004000000095500.sav like it should be, but alas, the save slots are empty in game.

Unless I read the sticky regarding saves wrong, this should work, shouldn't it?

2. TheBroCode

TheBroCode GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Did you rename the rom from .3ds to .3dz?

3. bache
    OP

Sep 28, 2009

No.

4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah to use your own dumped save you need a dump of your own rom renamed to .3dz, as the save is tied to your carts unique header

5. bache
    OP

Sep 28, 2009

Oh wow, it's that simple? I was under the impression that if I changed it to .3DZ, I'd need to modify the save to match.
    Lemme try it, and I'll report back.

6. bache
    OP

Sep 28, 2009
    So I re-dumped my save, and upon loading the ROM, I received an error message telling me my save data was corrupt. I tried dumping it again, and this time I got a message telling me my save data was reset.
    I guess there's just no hope for this one :(.

7. yoshinatsu

yoshinatsu GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Greece
    Downtown Jigoku
    I've had the exact same issue.
    As far as I can know, you can't load your own save files on emuNAND if you have previously saved the game on a 6.x+ sysNAND, because Gateway uses an older 4.5 encryption for its save files, while your retail games use a much newer encryption.
    Gateway simply can't read the .sav file you're dumping.
    Even if you boot on Classic Mode and you insert your KH cartridge, the save file will show up as corrupt. But don't be scared, it isn't. It's just incompatible with emuNAND.
    The only way to play your retail games (that is, if you want your old save files, which I assume you do!) is to update your sysNAND to a version 6.0 and above (or just revert to your NAND backup).
    Which unfortunately means that you'll have to use the web exploit (or the Android app), and that you'll still need the cartridge to play.

8. bache
    OP

Sep 28, 2009

That would be brilliant if that was the case, but I'm actually already on 9.2.0-E. I thought that save encryption change only affected games that use a firmware greater than 6.X. Kingdom Hearts only uses 3.0.0

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    That only applies for games released after 6.x, any games released before then don't use 6.x encryption......not sure what's happening in the.Op's case, as apparently the game was released with 3.x and save is 512kb..... No reason it shouldn't be working

Just to confirm, the rom your loading up is a dump of your own original card done via the gateway menu right? You can't use a downloaded copy with a save from a cart unless you manually ripped the header and inserted it into the downloaded rom

10. yoshinatsu

yoshinatsu GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Greece
    Downtown Jigoku
    None of my dumped save files work either, not even Ocarina of Time which had version 1.1.0.
    I've tried Mario Kart, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, none of them works and none of them requires 6.x
    And yes, I had them renamed to .3dz

11. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    I thought you were talking about restoring the save made by .3ds . Didn't realize it was your own dump. Sorry I wasn't able to help earlier.
    Yes. Only games that have it specified in exheader uses that.

12. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    There is 2 limits
    1) saves doesnt use 6.x encryption
    2) the save is 512kb(or card2), oot is 128KB so that wouldn't work...not sure about the others, there isn't many 512kb card 1 games in my experience

13. bache
    OP

Sep 28, 2009

My fault, I used poor wording.

14. yoshinatsu

yoshinatsu GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Greece
    Downtown Jigoku
    Then Mario Kart 7, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and Harvest Moon 3D should have worked. They didn't >_>
    I'll try it once more and I'll report back. Just in case I missed anything the last time.
    I should also rename the save files to their TitleID, right? (e.g. 00040000000B1D00.sav instead of AMHP.sav) Because GW save files are dumped with the serial number instead.

15. blinkzane

blinkzane Panic at your moms house

Jul 24, 2012
    United States
    Florida
    did you unlinnk emunand?

16. bache
    OP

Sep 28, 2009
    Sure did :(.

17. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Mario Kart worked for me. I had 3 games using a 512kb save that were made before 6.x and they all worked fine when renamed to .3dz

18. blinkzane

blinkzane Panic at your moms house

Jul 24, 2012
    United States
    Florida
    okay what I want you to do is reinstall your backup NAND and then format emuNAND again, this time don't unlink and try it. I don't know what it is but I can't get any saves to load once I unlink.

actually see if your games/carts will load the saves in classic mode first. if they do then disregard my first messages.

edit: are you using the gateway save thing or savefileeditor? I find savefileeditor much more trustworthy

19. yoshinatsu

yoshinatsu GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Greece
    Downtown Jigoku
    I'll try it once more. What file name did you use for the save file? AMKP.sav or 0004000000030700.sav?

20. bache
    OP

Sep 28, 2009

Classic mode won't let you boot ROMs though. Retail carts load fine in sysNAND and Classic mode.