421 Errors, 86 warning

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by macgeek417, Nov 21, 2010.

1. macgeek417
    OP

macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

Nov 10, 2009
    United States
  2. Evo.lve

Evo.lve All that you could be.

Oct 11, 2010
    Away from you.
    You can verify that this is true how?

3. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    What the hell is this?

4. Infinite Zero

Infinite Zero Almost!

Apr 25, 2010
    United States
    California
    Can't even tell if it's accurate.

5. Wabsta

Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Apr 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    SCUMM Bar
    But it works right? GBAtemp I mean.

If it isnt broken, don't try to fix it.

6. tj_cool

tj_cool Site dev

Supervisor
    Jan 7, 2009
    Belgium
    This planet
    I don't see why the Admins should bother fixing that. Sure, it's not really difficult, but it does take quite some time and I don't think anyone is going to complain that we don't comply to the W3C guidelines [​IMG]

And as said above it works, so yeah.

7. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    You seriously want admins to go through 421 errors and 86 warnings?

nou.

8. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I think it would be good to update the code in small steps... one thing I know works using dreamweaver, is that you can search for a string and replace it with another... nothing new, But: You can choose to do it in all the files in the working directory and subdirectories and stuff... then, searching for
    and replacing with
    will get rid of a good few of those errors.

And those of you who ask if it's true and what not: It's the W3C, those who made the standards. so It is accurate.

Sure there are many many "errors" and it still works, but things like alt attributes to link areas will help those who rely on hearing etc. and also, doing some maintenance on the code a little at the time isn't as bad as trying to fix it all [​IMG]

EDIT: Just to make sure: I don't say that anyone SHOULD do this... I'm saying that it could be a good idea to make sure the compatibility is as good as it possibly can, some time. It is a lot of work, and all... but as I said, a few of these errors are rather easy to iron out. the search and replace of
    , and also saw that the text for the spoiler tags "warning: spoiler alert" or what it was.. starts with and ends with just making sure that it is lowercase can also be done with a search and replace [​IMG]

9. Overlord Nadrian

Overlord Nadrian Banned

Banned
    Jul 28, 2008
    Belgium
    Riviera
    Made me think of this: http://gbatemp.net/i-Stats

The thing I'm going to say is probably mentioned somewhere in the site you linked in the OP, but I couldn't be arsed to look through all that. Anyway, if you go to said page (the top 20 posters of the day), and highlight the part above 'Today's Top 20 Posters', you get 'Screenshots NDS 3085 Screenshots NDS 3086'. It's nothing bad, the only thing that happens is you get a fake JavaScript error, but it doesn't look nice.