Homebrew Official 5.5.X ELF Loader

NWPlayer123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've spent the past 4 or 5 days fiddling with this to get it to work and it finally does, allows you to load a gigantic ELF into JIT, since apparently it's 32MB (and no RPX gets that big, even uncompressed because of the data section), and I just got it working. I've only tested it on my system but it should work on others if you have the ELF in the right place. It's provided as-is, with no warranty, feel free to do as you see fit. I'll get a better ELF documentation/structuring done soon.

Technical Explanation
If you wanna know how it works, I reused some code from FIX's ELF loader in libwiiu but I had to redo the whole thing because it was giving me lots of problems. It uses the very end of MEM1 (0xF5FFFFE0-FF)
to store stuff while it works, then copies the ELF into 0xF5800000 (slightly before that), it might have trouble with bigger stuff so I'd suggest developing file loading using sockets. It uses a catch() function at the start so I can jump to it to recover ROP chains. All the ROP does is copy the loader to the very end of JIT, and then reruns all the ROP to copy sections into the start as needed and then jumps to it.

Usage
It searches for a URL with /payload, so host it somewhere with a URL like http://192.168.0.7/payload?elfloader, it'll cut off that part and load a file called boot.elf (http://192.168.0.7/boot.elf)

Downloads??
Attached is libwiiu source for the ELF loader and the Hello World ELF I used to test. You can grab the code550.bin and host it wherever. It will probably only work on 5.5.X because of the ROP. Also had MrRean help me get this working, so thanks.

Attachments

• loadelf.zip
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,701
  • boot.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,274
Last edited by NWPlayer123,

NWPlayer123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would this help the development of Emulators ?
Definitely, gives you lots more room to work with
Are there any ELF files to load right now?

How can we develop them ourselves?
There aren't any now but I have plans for a whole homebrew framework, you can go look at the libwiiu source for an example https://github.com/wiiudev/libwiiu/tree/master/elfexamples/helloelf/src
Loadiine Elf ?
This could technically load in loadiine's ELF but it's not possible to run loadiine with just this because you need to patch the kernel for a bunch of stuff.
I'm probably doing something wrong. Pardon me, it's early and I'm dumb.
Let's say my server is http://22.22.22.22
It contains http://22.22.22.22/code550.bin and http://22.22.22.22/boot.elf
I opened the Wii browser, put in the address http://22.22.22.22/code550.bin and it says it can't load file.
What should I actually do.
You need to be using an exploit, yellows8 makes you create a php file which you then run, so you could have /payload?sysver=550 to load the code550.bin, or you could make it easy and use this. It'll let you put the code in /payloads, and the elf in /data (folders in the same place as the jar file), and then you can connect with /payload?elfloader (with /payload/elfloader.bin)

Noy2222

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think this goes over my head. Going to either need a much more detailed guide (don't feel the need to create one, I should probably just wait for -) or a much more script kiddie method.

NWPlayer123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will this work self hosted from an ez share card?
I'm not sure how those work, but if it's not like a normal server, you're probably out of luck. Browser doesn't have access to SD card without special permissions and this is a userspace-only thing. It shouldn't be too bad to modify it to load multiple .ELF files like a full homebrew channel thing, hosted on some server.
So what can we exactly do with this .ELF loader, NWPlayer?
Anything a normal program could, sound, music, graphics, games, fonts. You can do everything from a simple media player to a full blown game (minus load times)

Last edited by NWPlayer123,

Flux0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, no, browser doesn't have access to SD card without special permissions and this is a userspace-only thing. It shouldn't be too bad to modify it to load multiple .ELF files like a full homebrew channel thing, hosted on some server.

An ez share has a built in wifi access point to let devices connect to it. The main purpose they are marketed for is remote downloading of pictures off digital cameras. However the self contained AP along with the micro SD slot make them pretty good for self hosting stuff on the Wii U.

I was asking about if it works because it is just a fairly basic http server running there and didn't know if it needed anything beyond that.

NWPlayer123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An ez share has a built in wifi access point to let devices connect to it. The main purpose they are marketed for is remote downloading of pictures off digital cameras. However the self contained AP along with the micro SD slot make them pretty good for self hosting stuff on the Wii U.

I was asking about if it works because it is just a fairly basic http server running there and didn't know if it needed anything beyond that.
Oh, then yeah, that should be fine with yellows8's package.

Reactions: Flux0

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't one of the first things done when the Wii was exploited in Twilight Princess run .elf files? I think it was, and I recall a Sega Genesis emulator being one of the first .elf files. And eventually that method led to the ability to install the homebrew channel... is that theoretically possible with this kind of thing? Would we possibly through this method be able to install a Wii U homebrew channel (if someone managed to develop one) Cuz if so, this could be freaking huge.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a candy floating in the water, don't eat it!
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a candy floating in the water, don't eat it!