Hacking 4 GB micro SD Date Release?

gearzero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just wondering when will the 4 GB micro SD card Date release is set? Will the new 4 GB work on DS flash carts? M3 simply? etch....

GBA_Temper

*KING OF GBATEMP*
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm just wondering when will the 4 GB micro SD card Date release is set? Will the new 4 GB work on DS flash carts? M3 simply? etch....

Well no one really knows about the release date but for the red question-hahahaha jk
rofl2.gif
how would we know...

NDSkid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sandisk makes a 4GB microSDHC card which is not compatible with microSD. so present day cards will probably not work with anything larger than 2GB.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
2GB maximum? Ha, sucks being a Slot1 card owner, doesn't it?

*goes back to his M3 CF with 6GB storage
*bwahahaha.

wink.gif

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There don't seem to be any 4GB micro sd cards out yet, but a couple of reports seem to suggest manufacturers could be shipping as early as this month. Judging by product placeholder pages prices look set to be around $100-120.

All 4GB Micro SD cards due out seem to be SDHC compliant ones and so will only work with new SDHC compliant devices; the cards are not backwards compatible with most micro sd/sd readers in products currently on the market today.

The R4DS spec sheet does say it is compatible with 4GB micro SD cards however does not mention anything about SHDC cards.

smile.gif

omkire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theres no need for 4 gb lol. i have a 2 gb and i currently have 45 ds games couple mp3 files 15 nes games 12 snes games and 2 videos.

GBA_Temper

*KING OF GBATEMP*
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I have the GBAMP V2 CF. It works with all homebrew except HexenDS, because that needs RAM on the flashcard.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SD Cards have limitations and cannot exceed 2GB unless they are SDHC complient. To be SDHC complient, a manufacturer has to licence this technology from Panasonic which costs money. These flashcart makers obtain the dev specs from leaked sources. SDHC is relatively new so don't expect it to be implemented in your slot-1 solution anytime soon. Besides...WTF do you do with 4GB of stuff on your flashcart? I'm still using a 256MB CF card.

Kinda reminds me of that Steve Jobs Saturday Night Live parody...."A million songs.......A million songs! ....................................A Million Songs."

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Besides...WTF do you do with 4GB of stuff on your flashcart?
I watch it
happy.gif

256 MB is enough for a few games, but if you want to watch movies or listen to music, you either have to swap stuff on your card every day, or you need a bigger card.

There are times when I'm days away from my PC, but I like having tons of stuff with me. Several movies, several music albums, comics, books... it piles up. This way, I don't have to run to the computer and back every now and then.

Also, I have an Olympus C8080 WZ, and it also uses Microdrives/CF cards, so I have an excuse to buy ridiculous amounts of memory... "excuse" meaning I keep telling myself "it's not for the DS, it's for the camera"
laugh.gif

But if all you do is games, 256 is enough. That way you savour every game, instead of playing ten at a time and not finishing any of them.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think some people are missing the point... SDHC cards don't just allow for a higher capacity but will also provide much better read, write and access times. So for all those moaning that the R4DS isn't fast enough to run games like Castlevania and Tony Hawk perfectly, an R4 capable of taking SDHC cards may solve this.

smile.gif

mrekli

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
oppressthebutton.com
XP
Country
United States
A bit off topic but they have to license with Panasonic? What's in the Wii then? SD or SDHC? I'm pretty sure they have a deal with Panasonic on all their SD stuff like Play-Yan, that GameCube Memory Card thingie, and now the Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users