Apple 4.2 due for the 9th

alidsl

I am now a lurker
OP
Member
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
2,823
Trophies
0
Age
26
Location
Kanto - Pallet Town
XP
658
Country
4.2 will be released on the 9th, however jailbreaking has a problem.
Cydia (and many other apps) are broken/dead/killed on 4.2, a jailbreak will take a while to be released
So don't update if you want to keep a Jailbroken device
Cydia has now been fixed for 4.2

Also, Save your SHSH's then you can downgrade of necessary


4.x Support for the iPad

iOS 4.0 features for iPad (Multitasking, Folders, etc.)

Updated Carrier Signal Strength Display (3G iPad only)

Increase in the length of the smaller signal bars

The method in which signal strength is calculated has been enhanced

Fixes glitch that can let a user get into the phone app while the phone is locked via “Emergency Call” by dialing a random number and quickly pressing the lock button after dialing that call

Fixes the alarm bug cause by daylight saving time which affected Australian iPhone and iPod Touch owners

iPad screen rotation lock switch is converted into a sound/silent switch in iOS 4.2 (Just like on the iPhones)

AirPrint Wireless Printing with Print Center

Import .ics calendar files directly for events

Birthdays icon has been changed in calendar

Updated Carrier Settings (US is AT&T 9.0) (iPad 3G only)

Text search on web pages

2 new fonts for Notes in Settings (Helvetica and Chalkboard)

New icon for Voice Memos (iPhone and iPod touch only)

Updated applications

AirPlay (replacement of AirTunes, AirPlay will offer stream video, music, and photos over WiFI

More than 30 new keyboards and dictionaries, including Arabic, Greek, and Hebrew for iPad

New Text Tone Alerts (New & Original tone lists) (iPhone only)

Ringer & Alerts on/off switch (Settings > Sounds) for volume buttons (iPhone only)

Assign different text tone alerts to each contact (iPhone only)

YouTube voting

New Multitasking Animation

New Parental Controls for deleting Apps, changing mail accounts and location services

FaceTime shortcut from Messages app

New wallpapers in Settings

New Bookmarks design (iPad only)

Minor improvements in UI graphics

Restores full Field Test Mode

I’m excited for the new features to drop as it makes it’s way closer to perfection.

Edit: Cydia has now been fixed for 4.2, expect a jb within a day or two of the 4.2 release

Edit 2: Date's changed to the 9th
frown.gif
 

Sotoro

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2008
Messages
404
Trophies
0
XP
127
Country
Gambia, The
so whats the deal for iphone4 or ipod touch 4g devices? i tought that the limera1n jailbreak isn't fixable. So it's safe to update and use your saved shsh files for a untethering jailbreak?
 

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
3,462
Trophies
0
Age
29
Location
North East Scotland
XP
670
Country
Limera1n is unfixable BUT it is only tethered. For 4.1 there was a usermode jailbreak found and inserted with the limera1n jailbreak to untether it.
If you update by accident but have your SHSH downloaded you can downgrade to 4.1. if you update though it won't be jailbreakable properly for a while as the structure of the firmware has changed as such that its broken Cydia so it doesn't run on 4.2 (they'll have tried on the Beta firmwares)
 

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2008
Messages
1,698
Trophies
0
Age
27
XP
493
Country
Gambia, The
I'll get my iPod touch next week, so if I download a firmware from iTunes, I won't be able to jailbreak it anymore, right?
Or is there a way that I could load 4.1 on the iPod?
ohnoes.png
 

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
3,462
Trophies
0
Age
29
Location
North East Scotland
XP
670
Country
MegaAce™ said:
I'll get my iPod touch next week, so if I download a firmware from iTunes, I won't be able to jailbreak it anymore, right?
Or is there a way that I could load 4.1 on the iPod?
ohnoes.png
Where/when did you order your iPod? If not an order then if you want jailbreakablility avoid the Apple Store (I'd imagine their's will be updated quickest). If you have web-ordered you should be fine and on 4.1
4.2 is jailbreakable (limera1n is bootROM not userland) but it will be tethered.

Also, is that the new version of Cydia or just a fix for the old one, Alidsl?
 

Xoo00o0o0o

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
833
Trophies
1
Age
26
Location
Dallas, TX
XP
1,301
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
MegaAce™ said:
I'll get my iPod touch next week, so if I download a firmware from iTunes, I won't be able to jailbreak it anymore, right?
Or is there a way that I could load 4.1 on the iPod?
ohnoes.png
Where/when did you order your iPod? If not an order then if you want jailbreakablility avoid the Apple Store (I'd imagine their's will be updated quickest). If you have web-ordered you should be fine and on 4.1
4.2 is jailbreakable (limera1n is bootROM not userland) but it will be tethered.

Also, is that the new version of Cydia or just a fix for the old one, Alidsl?

Thats not true. When i bought my 2g when 3.1.3 was out It was 2.0
 

metamaster

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2010
Messages
875
Trophies
0
XP
162
Country
Canada
^ There are certain exceptions (ebay)
I heard that they might implement a jailbreak that requires 4.1 SHSH blobs to untether. That was a few days ago, so I don't know if they decided to go on with that.
 

Xoo00o0o0o

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
833
Trophies
1
Age
26
Location
Dallas, TX
XP
1,301
Country
United States
metamaster said:
^ There are certain exceptions (ebay)
I heard that they might implement a jailbreak that requires 4.1 SHSH blobs to untether. That was a few days ago, so I don't know if they decided to go on with that.

Bought straight from apple store.
 

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2008
Messages
1,698
Trophies
0
Age
27
XP
493
Country
Gambia, The
Jamstruth said:
MegaAce™ said:
I'll get my iPod touch next week, so if I download a firmware from iTunes, I won't be able to jailbreak it anymore, right?
Or is there a way that I could load 4.1 on the iPod?
ohnoes.png
Where/when did you order your iPod? If not an order then if you want jailbreakablility avoid the Apple Store (I'd imagine their's will be updated quickest). If you have web-ordered you should be fine and on 4.1
4.2 is jailbreakable (limera1n is bootROM not userland) but it will be tethered.

Also, is that the new version of Cydia or just a fix for the old one, Alidsl?

I ordered it from ebay on Tuesday. (It's a new one, not used.)

So I just can unbox it and jailbreak it right away without loading a firmware onto it?
 

metamaster

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2010
Messages
875
Trophies
0
XP
162
Country
Canada
I doubt your device is on 4.2. If it's not, go ahead and jailbreak it, you'll be untethered. If it is on 4.2, wait for something else to get released. Also, sync your device with iTunes first, but just don't accept the firmware upgrade (it should ask you).

EDIT: 4.2 isn't out yet, so you don't have to worry about it.
 

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2008
Messages
1,698
Trophies
0
Age
27
XP
493
Country
Gambia, The
metamaster said:
I doubt your device is on 4.2. If it's not, go ahead and jailbreak it, you'll be untethered. If it is on 4.2, wait for something else to get released. Also, sync your device with iTunes first, but just don't accept the firmware upgrade (it should ask you).

EDIT: 4.2 isn't out yet, so you don't have to worry about it.

Thanks for answering my question!
biggrin.gif


I'm looking forward to getting my iPod.
biggrin.gif
 

alidsl

I am now a lurker
OP
Member
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
2,823
Trophies
0
Age
26
Location
Kanto - Pallet Town
XP
658
Country
Wabsta said:
Hmm, I will be getting my iPhone4 at the end of this month. I hope I will still be able to jailbreak, and have it untethered.
Jailbreak, Yes

Untethered, depends what if the devs want to use a userland or not
 

You may also like...

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: such peachy moments