3rd Wave Feminism

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The problem is, we can't use genetics to determine whether or not someone deserves the same amount of pay for the same job, or equal treatment in any aspect barring extreme cases. We have people who defy these norms quite often anymore, making them rather obsolete definitions. Hell, women fight to not be contained by genetic definitions, while employers are fighting to have access to the information for a myriad of hiring decisions. We can no longer compare ourselves to other animals either. We've effectively removed ourselves from the food chain, with only genetic links left to remind us that in some way, we're related to those other animals out there. You can say there's a reason the lioness goes out hunting (shopping) and the lion protects the territory (stronger, dominant, head of the house), but feminism already seeks to defy such basic definitions that are viewed as sexist, not just out of political correctness.

I mean, I understand what you're saying, but this is about feminism. Genetic links and animal gender relationships serve no purpose in the long run.

Quick Edit: Having actually taken a class on genetics as well, I can say with ease that things are still changing so rapidly in the field of genetics, old research being overturned, new things being found, that they're hard to use in a debate at all.
Oh, at no point did I mean that either of those traits should be used as a measure of someone's pay and so on and so forth - to the contrary, what I meant was that we are different and we should embrace those differences rather than fear them - do read my posts above. ;)

In nature, everything equals out. For example, women have aprox. 4% less brain cells then men, however those brain cells are more tightly connected with white matter than in the case of men who have more gray matter - communication between them is much faster. Women have a higher concentration of neurons in the frontal lobe - this is the area where decision-making and and problem-solving occurs. Men on the other hand have a higher concentration of neurons in the parietal cortex - the part of the brain involved in space perception. These and other differences in the brain cause various differences in actual, real life traits such as multitasking, abstract thinking and so on.

There's also the question of hormonal balance. In men, it is relatively static as we don't go through menstrual cycles. Changes in the hormonal balance in men occur slowly but gradually with age. With women it's a whole different story - the hormonal balance skyrockets and plummets all the time during the menstrual cycle and only once it stops does the situation normalize. This hormonal balance, or lack of thereof in some cases can lead to mood swings - they do not affect everyone but they do occur.

What I'm saying is that, to an extent, we are naturally talented in different areas and our behavior is, to an extent, dependant on our bodies. Since we are human, we can deliberately choose to train ourselves in areas that are not necessarily our forte and that's a great thing. We can choose to be a man in a feminine role of a "mother", we can choose to be a woman "breadwinner" and in some rare cases we may actually be born into those roles as well by a stroke of the genetic wand.

We should all be treated equally, but at the same time we should be mindful of the differences between us when dealing with each other. True equality doesn't mean that everyone gets the same ladder to get over a fence regardless of how tall we are - true equality means that everybody gets a ladder that fits him or her so that everybody gets over the fence.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Its nice to see the temp isnt as petty and stupid as it used to be, I havent seen an actually discussion where two parties disagree yet dont fire memes and gifs calling the other stupid in months.
I'm still in the process of looking through my .gif collection in search of something appropriate. :tpi:

Reactions: The Milkman

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We should all be treated equally, but at the same time we should be mindful of the differences between us when dealing with each other. True equality doesn't mean that everyone gets the same ladder to get over a fence regardless of how tall we are - true equality means that everybody gets a ladder that fits him or her so that everybody gets over the fence.

Between your lion analogy and this metaphor, I have to say - I prefer the ladder.

In all seriousness, I definitely think this is the right (or at least, the best approach). I think it's more productive if we emphasize flexibility with gender roles ("Men usually do this, women usually do this, but they don't have to and that's totally okay.") than, say, trying to destroy them or disempower the other gender as compensation for past wrongs.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Between your lion analogy and this metaphor, I have to say - I prefer the ladder.

In all seriousness, I definitely think this is the right (or at least, the best approach). I think it's more productive if we emphasize flexibility with gender roles ("Men usually do this, women usually do this, but they don't have to and that's totally okay.") than, say, trying to destroy them or disempower the other gender as compensation for past wrongs.
Sh*t son, C-c-c-combo Breaker! :lol:

But yes, that's precisely what I meant. Rather than fight each other, we should complete each other... Aww yeah... :creep:

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And a little quote from Vedic literature:

A Woman must be honored and adorned by their fathers, brothers, husbands, and brothers in law, who desire their own welfare. Where women are honored, there the gods are pleased; but where they are not honored, no sacred rite yields rewards. Where the female relations live in grief, the family soon wholly perishes; but that family where they are not unhappy ever prospers. The houses on which female relations, not being duly honored, pronounce a curse, perish completely, as if destroyed by magic. Hence men who seek (their own) welfare, should always honor women on holidays and festivals with (gifts of) ornaments, clothes and (dainty) food. In that family, where the husband is pleased with his wife and the wife with her husband, happiness will assuredly be lasting. (Manusmriti: The Laws of Manu, Chapter 3,55-60)

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And a little quote from Vedic literature:

A Woman must be honored and adorned by their fathers, brothers, husbands, and brothers in law, who desire their own welfare. Where women are honored, there the gods are pleased; but where they are not honored, no sacred rite yields rewards. Where the female relations live in grief, the family soon wholly perishes; but that family where they are not unhappy ever prospers. The houses on which female relations, not being duly honored, pronounce a curse, perish completely, as if destroyed by magic. Hence men who seek (their own) welfare, should always honor women on holidays and festivals with (gifts of) ornaments, clothes and (dainty) food. In that family, where the husband is pleased with his wife and the wife with her husband, happiness will assuredly be lasting. (Manusmriti: The Laws of Manu, Chapter 3,55-60)

eh? What does this have to do with Feminism? A woman could be honored and adorned without having any rights or a say in anything.

XDel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then she is not adorned.

In Hinduism they consider the Man the Head of the House Hold, and the Woman the Heart of the House Hold.
Girls are schooled at a very young age to be knowledgeable and instinctually wise, or gnostic if you will.They then pass this knowledge and aspiration towards instinctual wisdom to the young ones once she becomes the wife of a house hold. She also teaches various survival skills that the family members will need to move forward through their lives.
They say when the woman, the center, the heart of the family is not happy, healthy, and shown love, that not only does she fall sick, but so does the rest of the family.

So in relation to Feminism, this IS FEMININE at it's very core. :)

Just food for thought is all.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then she is not adorned.

In Hinduism they consider the Man the Head of the House Hold, and the Woman the Heart of the House Hold.
Girls are schooled at a very young age to be knowledgeable and instinctually wise, or gnostic if you will.They then pass this knowledge and aspiration towards instinctual wisdom to the young ones once she becomes the wife of a house hold. She also teaches various survival skills that the family members will need to move forward through their lives.
They say when the woman, the center, the heart of the family is not happy, healthy, and shown love, that not only does she fall sick, but so does the rest of the family.

So in relation to Feminism, this IS FEMININE at it's very core. :)

Just food for thought is all.

Oh yeah, im not doubting that its word to live by, I was just a bit confused as to how it related to the thread.

XDel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
She: Stop objectifying me you savage beast!!!

"The Savage": Listen here princess, I'm not the one writing these ridiculous books.
774061.jpg

Reactions: Engert

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/IGY5Zu1OpmA