3rd party / chinese knockoff chargers... are they good?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by terns21, Mar 21, 2017.

1. terns21
    OP

terns21 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2017
    Canada
    will it damage my n3dsxl?

2. SirECK

SirECK GBAtemp Fan

Jul 1, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    Don't recommend.
    While they might work I have read on this forum that there was a knockoff brand being sold and where getting hot and catching fire.
    There are plenty alternative chargers/ways to charge your system. If you decide to save a few bucks, find a known good seller that shows reviews for the product.

3. terns21
    OP

terns21 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2017
    Canada
    Thanks!

4. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Don't buy a mains/wall charger (3rd party). I usually buy 3DS usb chargers overseas and they are pretty good. (Still on my first one!)

5. andeers

andeers Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2012
    Cote d'Ivoire
    They're the purest crap. My 3DS turned off and it was connected.

6. romanaOne

romanaOne GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    where the potential goes to zero
    My knockoff power supplies (often included with a 3DS/DS on eBay) all failed annoyingly in less than a year: you have to jiggle the cord to get them to charge. The slightest disturbance causes the connection to break again. Thanks for the "extras," eBayers.

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Some cheapo chinese chargers are so badly designed they could potentially damage hardware, although it's rare for that to happen.
    But as SirECK said, they could simply be a fire hazard. They are very rarely designed in a safe way, using components that are not fit for the task and even omitting important safety features just to save a couple of bucks on production.
    I do use cheapo 3DS USB charging cables though as there's not much that could go wrong with them.
    I suggest sticking to original chargers, or using a USB charging cable together with a decent quality wall plug.

8. terns21
    OP

terns21 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2017
    Canada
    Thank you all for all the inputs... guess i will just buy a refurbished orginal charger from nintendo... it's still a few bucks less than a brand new one.

9. kaputnik

kaputnik GBAtemp Regular

Sep 10, 2007
    I'll have to agree to this. In most cases those knockoff mains chargers ranges from bad ("dirty" voltage, lots of ripple, etc) to outright dangerous (inadequate separation between primary and secondary side, low quality and under dimensioned components, etc). Just avoid them.

USB chargers basically just need to shave off 0.4 volts from the 5 volts USB supplies. It could be satisfactory done with a simple diode. Even the cheapest possible design should be fine, at least from an electrical point of view.

Last edited by kaputnik, Mar 21, 2017