3ds xl stretching

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by TheCasketMan, Mar 23, 2013.

Mar 23, 2013

3ds xl stretching by TheCasketMan at 10:49 PM (1,868 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. TheCasketMan
    OP

Member TheCasketMan Keyblade Apprentice

United States
    I heard that the 3ds xl uses the same resolution as the normal 3ds. So if the images and graphics are stretch, does games on the xl look worse than on a regular 3ds. I have been wanting to buy one, but this is the reason I still haven't.

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    The physical pixels are larger, that's all.

3. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    I've been playing around with one for a tiny bit several times and it's not really noticeable, since it's the same resolution. You get a bigger screen so the pixels are bigger, but it's not annoying or anything. I kinda like the bigger screen, but I'm content with my regular 3DS begin small. I guess you should go to a store with demo stations and try both and see which size you're comfortable with.

4. jax604

Newcomer jax604 Advanced Member

Canada
    From what i can see, you won't really notice the "stretched pixels", unless your 3ds xl is 1-2 inches in front of your face.

5. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    In theory they are yes, but if you put them both side by side you'd instantly want to play the XL, I coudnt go back to the OG 3DS

6. TheCasketMan
    OP

Member TheCasketMan Keyblade Apprentice

United States
    I guess the best way to decide is to try it first. I had check some stores and they do not have it out to try, so I will check GameStop tomorrow. How is the 3d effect(does pop out more or is it more depth) and how do regular ds games look.

7. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Edit: misread the OP and thought you meant DS games on a 3DSXL

8. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I noticed the stretched pixels immediately. The colors are also slightly richer, like they've been saturated with extra red or blue hues.

The stretch may not be as noticeable on 3D, but 2D elements look like they've been blurred in a JPEG. I compared the original 3DS playing Fire Emblem to a 3DSXL playing Fire Emblem, and it was surprising just how bad the game looked compared to the original 3DS display.

Whether you'll notice this enough to bother you, well, I can't answer. But I can say that I returned the 3DSXL because I couldn't stand the screen quality difference. Mostly, I suppose that once I noticed the difference between the Fire Emblem games, that I would always be aware that something in every other game would be skewed and blurred too.

9. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    3D > mainly depth, but it gives a nice touch to games. Still not really important for the gameplay imho. Regular DS: That WILL stretch and won't look great. If you have a proper DS laying around, keep using that one for your DS needs. Else, you can still use your 3DS, since it's not THAT bad, but the original is better.

10. Jayro

Member Jayro MediCat DVD Developer

United States
    The pixels are NOT stretched, unless you play DS(i) software... The 3DS games still play at native resolution, and look the same. DS(i) software looks washed-out though, and the pixel stretching algorithms they are using are worse than most emulators I've seen.

11. zerofalcon

Member zerofalcon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    Or you can use the NDS 1:1 native resolution mode on 3DS XL, it looks great (if black borders doesnt bother you)

12. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    Depth/pop out entirely depends on the software, the 3D can go from incredibly deep to about things popping out 2 inches or so. The only thing limiting the depth/popout of the 3D effect is the screen size.
    XL is the way to go for DS games, if you hold old select or start you can play in 1:1 mode so DS games don't stretch at all.

13. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    And they're pretty much the same size as on an original DS when you use 1:1.