3DS XL Hardmod: Lifted CMD Pad. Lost Cause?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by eXpired, Jun 16, 2015.

1. eXpired
    OP

eXpired Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2015
    United States
    I don't solder often, but thought hardmodding would be easy enough. That was a mistake. I believe I accidentally lifted the CMD pad on the motherboard. I'm not even entirely sure that I did, but nothing will stick there now so I'm fairly certain that happened.

Here's a crappy cell phone photo. It's crappy quality; I could upload a shot from my dSLR if it matters.

11349939_10206240506225506_789261093_n.jpg

Is there an alternate CMD point anywhere?

Am I completely hosed? My SysNAND is corrupted, though I have a backup so I was hoping to do this to restore it. I'd gladly pay someone to repair it if they think they could.

2. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Wow did you use a blowtorch? :tpi:
    At least the GND looks good. :P

@hundshamer to the rescue

3. eXpired
    OP

eXpired Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2015
    United States
    A lot of the discoloration is leftover flux, I think. And then we kept trying and trying since we weren't positive if the pad was lifted or not. Never could get it to stick.

Also, I fully admit I suck and shouldn't have tried this.

4. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    Iron should only touch the pad for a second or maybe 2 MAX. it's only a glue that holds the pad down, when that melts it comes away usually ripping the track with it.

5. milerwan

milerwan Seasoned technician

Dec 21, 2013
    France
    A customer of mine who tore the CMD pad on his 3DS XL had got permanent blue screen and the motherboard was dead.
    So I think you must test to switch on your console to see that first.

6. eXpired
    OP

eXpired Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2015
    United States
    Yeah, it was already bricked (managed to hose it while playing with rxTools, but have a NAND backup). Turning the device on is the same symptoms as before I screwed this up: black screens, no blue, no light even on the screen panel: just blue power LED.

Sent it to hundshamer, so we'll see if he's able to get this back up and running. Could be screwed, but desperate to try anything.

7. vastrolorde

vastrolorde Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2015
    United States
    is there any way we can make the wires stick to the points?? or maybe replace the pad.? i had a 3dsxl with the same issue.

8. eXpired
    OP

eXpired Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2015
    United States
    Not really. A trace is what carries the signal, and if it's ripped too much, it's not recoverable. hunshamer looked at my 3DS XL but the trace was lifted too far. So my 3DS XL is now junked.

On the bright side, it's a good excuse to pick up a New 3DS XL once I can justify spending another $200

9. vastrolorde

vastrolorde Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2015
    United States
    or maybe there is an alternative for the data 0 point. that's where i think i lifted the pad.