3DS with A9LH + Hardmod or Just with A9lh

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Thaulos, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Thaulos
    OP

Thaulos GBAtemp Regular

Aug 24, 2016
    Bedfordshire
    I have sent off my 3ds to a legit hardmodder found from the popular thread

But I am considering if the hardmod would be worth it if the a9lh is already installed

So should i get the hardmod anyway or just go with a9lh

2. el_gonz87

el_gonz87 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    Since you stated in other thread that the console was in 11.0.0.33e, then only option is to hardmod.
    You can have Decrypt9, HourGlass9, etc... all installed but there is no entry point on 11.0 fw.

I may be wrong, but at least that's what I've seen from similar threads. To be sure, just ask the person doing the hardmod, they would know better than anyone your options.

3. Thaulos
    OP

Thaulos GBAtemp Regular

Aug 24, 2016
    Bedfordshire
    I know it needs a hardmod, but the @gamesquest1 also offer the a9lh install service without hardmod (since hardmod can cause issue with reselling)

4. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    I would say no hardmod if it's cheaper. You only need it for the downgrade.

5. el_gonz87

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    Ah you mean they offer a DSiWare downgrade, then you should be good if they have a EUR 3DS.

You can refer here to make sure they have all the pre-reqs for your downgrade: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/DSiWare-Downgrade

Will prob need to re-download all of your eshop games and you will lose all your saves unless you use freakyhax + savemanager to back them up.

6. Thaulos
    OP

Thaulos GBAtemp Regular

Aug 24, 2016
    Bedfordshire
    Mhm, But then i would not be able to play around with other a9lh installs, just to see the features, which risks bricking unless i have the hardmod.

This thread is just to help me research more about a9lh and hardmods since this is the first time for me

7. el_gonz87

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    Hmmm not sure what you mean, if they can downgrade the 3DS, then you can follow Plailect guide to install A9LH starting in part 1 and choosing the current FW (after downgrade of course)

Thaulos likes this.
  8. Thaulos
    OP

Thaulos GBAtemp Regular

Aug 24, 2016
    Bedfordshire
    Ik he have the eur 3ds since he is based in uk. All my saves are on my sd (which is with me not in the 3ds) and i still have the old nand backup. Yes, i might have to redownload the games but hey, at least that give me something to do lol

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

But would i need the hardmod to unbrick my 3ds if something goes wrong?

9. Sp4rks

Sp4rks Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2016
    France
    Downgrading from 11.0 is now possible via DSiWare using an another 3DS with CFW. That's probably why he gave you the choice.
    I've never hardmodded my 3DS, I don't think it's something very useful now that A9LH exists, so I would not do it if it's more expensive and if you consider reselling your console when the time comes.
    Now, if you plan to flash your Sysnand on a regular basis to try different CFWs and stuff, I would recommend hardmodding since you'll be sure to never brick your 3DS even if you make a big mistake one day.

Thaulos likes this.
  10. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    You have to wait a week in between downgrades if you use the DSi method. He's probably gonna do a temporary hardmod.
    That's what I do, since I don't like making holes in 3ds's.

11. el_gonz87

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    I think, THINK... Once you have A9LH and Luma3DS, you can boot into Decrypt9 to un-brick console with a NAND backup (IMPORTANT TO HAVE AND KEEP A BACKUP)
    Basically re-do steps 2-3 of Plailect guide? no?

Also what did you use to get your saves on the SD card?

12. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah i do hardmods for the downgrade, i have explained to him about a9lh being 99% brick free, the only brick risk that remains is if you switch a9lh payloads/branches (i.e going from auroras fork to shadownand) , for anything else you can just use hourglass9 to restore a nand backup

Last edited by gamesquest1, Aug 25, 2016
    Thaulos likes this.
  13. Thaulos
    OP

Thaulos GBAtemp Regular

Aug 24, 2016
    Bedfordshire
    savedatafiler, I got 2 saves on fire emblem awakening and Fantasy Life.. the others can die in recycle bin

14. el_gonz87

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    That should work, you can re-inject them with the same app. Good luck on the modding!

15. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    dont worry all your saves will be fine, i always do backups before i do anything :)

16. vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb That hardmod guy....

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    Keep it, play with godmode9 and you will see why.

Xenon Hacks likes this.
  17. Thaulos
    OP

Thaulos GBAtemp Regular

Aug 24, 2016
    Bedfordshire
    Ahh, a save transfer made for a9lh (was made before a9lh but who cares)

Right, I made my mind. No need to pay for a9lh install as long i follow the instructions on that guide since it seems pretty doable. Time to downgrade :P

How do i lock threads anyway

Last edited by Thaulos, Aug 25, 2016
  18. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    You don't :P We don't usually lock threads unless they go awry.