Hacking 3DS unbricking progress

krisztian1997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
The erase feature only works if there is a password set, otherwise it just returns an error because theres no reason to erase

Moquedami

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Ah, that explains the rebel SD card then.
Until now Pizzatime and me had failed attempts with a Samsung, and Asus with a Toshiba.
Only Kahlaan made it work it seems. It would be nice to have pictures of his setup to try to reproduce the process and result.

tobelight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
One question: if I do not backup nand and I unlocked the MMC, it is possible to extract thereafter NAND? (with Win32DiskImager ..button READ)

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
One question: if I do not backup nand and I unlocked the MMC, it is possible to extract thereafter NAND? (with Win32DiskImager ..button READ)
only thing one could do then is to flash the emuNAND from the same console if it exists (which will most likely be a higher firmware than 4.5, so no more exploits but at least it would still work).

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well their is still a small bit of hope if you set up emunand I have read you can extract the nand file from the emunand partition and use it to restore the 3ds to a working but updated condition.....you could atleast sell it on to cover the costs of a replacement 3ds on 4.x

....beat to the punch XD

tobelight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok thank you. The person who bricked his console has not used your emunand no bakcup nand

I thought the brick arrived only emunand fashion is obviously not the case

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Ok well in that case, the only choice would be waiting to see if their is any hope of a unlocking method being found that doesn't wipe the nand......the chances are looking pretty slim

In the mean time don't even bother trying the current unlock methods as it would just eliminate the last chance of possible restore

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ok thank you. The person who bricked his console has not used your emunand no bakcup nand

damn... then this person would need the unlock password, which at the moment only a few persons can generate (and i am not one of them). the best bet would be to wait (not throwing it away yet though) and/or ask gateway for the password.

in no case should he/she use the force erase though, as then there would be nearly no chance to get it working again.

gamesquest1:
k, now the beater became the beatee ;)

Reactions: gamesquest1

ASUS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
zo6f42.png

23hsuj8.jp

If I connect the DAT1 and DAT2 the program will not work on Arduino?

krisztian1997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
If I connect the DAT1 and DAT2 the program will not work on Arduino?

You dont need dat 1 and 2 for arduino. I been looking over our code all day but I cant find anything wrong with it, I tried sending CRC7, CRC16 and same result, my cards always boot up perfectly... its really annoying that me and ryuga has no idea what is wrong with arduino.

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Did anybody try a file recovery program or something of the sorts after the force erase to try and recover the nand?

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Did anybody try a file recovery program or something of the sorts after the force erase to try and recover the nand?

Shouldn't (better said mustn't) work according to the specifications: file recovery programs work by reading the raw information from a drive while ignoring the filesystem. This works because most delete operations don't remove the data itself, only the FS entries (like erasing a chapter name and page number from the index of a book, but leaving the chapter itself still inside; you can then no longer look it up easily but still find it when you skim over all the pages).

The force erase is specified to destroy the data itself (in the book analogy: you clear out the whole book using bleach or tipp-ex) so the raw information is gone for good.

(Foot note: it might as well be that the eMMC controller only pretends that the nand memory is clean, but the only way one should be able to access it is by decapping the emmc and probing the NAND using microprobes. which would still result in a garbled mess in most cases.)

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
ye, still would be cool to see a complete low level raw sector clone of the nand chip to a file, disregarding the filesystem or partition or whatever and see if it's all zeroed out or not :P

It's easy to recover whole partitions after quick format on windows for example, i understand it's different, but how long does the forced erase take? if it's quick it would mean that it doesn't overwrite the nand and probly everything is still there... ^^

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ye, still would be cool to see a complete low level raw sector clone of the nand chip to a file, disregarding the filesystem or partition or whatever and see if it's all zeroed out or not :P

It's easy to recover whole partitions after quick format on windows for example, i understand it's different, but how long does the forced erase take? if it's quick it would mean that it doesn't overwrite the nand and probly everything is still there... ^^

Inaki should be able to help you out with the dump of a force erased 3DS.

I've just taken a dump of my freshly force erased 64MB test MMC which i filled to capacity with a random file on ext4 beforehand, from what I've seen all 0xFF now (as such a file compresses down really well I'll attach it).

edit: yes, as the quick format just deletes the whole index while still leaving the books content (mostly) untouched.

As per the specification the force erase is allowed to take up to 3 minutes (and that is for 128GB memory), using RPU it finishes on the 3DS in less than 2 seconds.

And even if the NAND wouldn't get completely overwritten: the controller knows it's supposed to be deleted and simply tells you "nothing of interest here".

Attachments

• force_erased_64MB_MMC.rar
    38.1 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: Elusivo

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
someone should make a dump then force it to be locked again using clone launcher....unlock, then dump again and see if any of the contents are still intact, im presuming it must do something though, or the 3ds would just work after unlocking without needing a nand restore

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
ok, i just read from a website that using those low level commands it can fully wipe an emmc in seconds, so maybe everything does get overwriten, maybe something like a switch that flips everything too FF at same time... which makes some sense, as if it didn't really overwrite everything, it would make the force erase somewhat useless...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like I said ancientboi has plenty of experience milking bears