Hacking 3DS unbricking progress

BothyBhoy

Trophies
XP
Country
I decided to create a new thread with the our progress of unbricking the 3ds because there are several threads talking about this and its very hard to find anything by now in the threads.
So far we found a way to lock a normal card and it acts exactly like a bricked 3ds, doesnt shows up in windows explorer, cant write to it using any other tools or format it. All what we need now is someone willing to test our code on a bricked 3ds. Our code can be found at https://github.com/krisztian1997/3dsunbricker , its based on Roland's library with some custom code made by ryuga and me (thanks Coto for the CRC16 algo)
Forgot to mention, hardware mod is needed, we are using an Arduino to test our code on a SD card, but its exactly the same wiring like the one for nand dump except that DAT3 is also needed for CS. You need an arduino to can communicate with the eMMC controller directly, also some ways to reduce your voltage to 3v3 because arduinos I/O use 5v, the easiest and best way is to get a SD card shield, or if you cant get one, another good solution is an voltage divider with resistors, like this or this
Progress so far: Unbricking is possible now, there are around 10-13 confirmed unbricking with the raspi and 3 with the arduino
How much do you guys take for an unbricking thanks .....p.m. Me

cdante100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Software wise, yes. But hardware wise, it would be extremely hard to make a adaptor to plug the 3DS into the microSD slot.

Can not use an adapter like this?

2YkyhS

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can not use an adapter like this?

I had not saw a adaptor like that before but depending how it works it may actually work, as long it is basically extending the contacts and not doing anything else like a USB card reader would. It does have a chance of working.

The Pi Zero is supposed to be the same software as the Pi 1 which the unbricking software is made for so other then maybe making sure to grab the newest firmware files and drop them on the fat32 partition. It would be worth trying.

Reactions: cdante100

cdante100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I had not saw a adaptor like that before but depending how it works it may actually work, as long it is basically extending the contacts and not doing anything else like a USB card reader would. It does have a chance of working.

The Pi Zero is supposed to be the same software as the Pi 1 which the unbricking software is made for so other then maybe making sure to grab the newest firmware files and drop them on the fat32 partition. It would be worth trying.
Got it, thanks.

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
So with the recent DS2+ brickings happening i have a 3ds here to unbrick and hard mod, but i can't for the life of me get the RPI image to boot at all no matter what sd card i use. :(

It just refuses to recognize it at all (no activity light), and it isn't my RPI because i put my normal raspbian card back in and all is fine.

Scratch that, i got it to boot using the card i had raspbian on, for some strange reason my pi doesn't like my otherSD cards anymore...
And now it's just sitting there doing nothing after they keyboard appears in the list on screen (just a generic $5 usb keyboard.. hmm
Unplug the keyboard, and it does the same, just sits there doing nothing but this time after ethernet appears in the list on screen.. Why do you hate me!? :( Can't exactly unplug the ethernet port lol

Any ideas anyone? @hundshamer maybe? i don't know...

Nvm... I'm a noob, totally missed the "plug usb stick in as well" part.

Bloodyhell! One problem after another. :( Now I'm getting...
a2yA8KB.jpg

And it locks up there... argh!

Last edited by Shadowtrance,

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
And it locks up there... argh!

try only plugin in the SD card, the usb stick, (ethernet/hdmi if you use them) and power. in other words: no usb devices but the usb stick.

edit: and make sure by plugging it into windows that you have written the image to the usb stick correctly

just in case: bear in mind that you will need a valid nand dump for the unbrick again (*shakes fist at GW*)

Last edited by bkifft,
Reactions: cdante100

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
try only plugin in the SD card, the usb stick, (ethernet/hdmi if you use them) and power. in other words: no usb devices but the usb stick.

edit: and make sure by plugging it into windows that you have written the image to the usb stick correctly

just in case: bear in mind that you will need a valid nand dump for the unbrick again (*shakes fist at GW*)
Ok i sorted it out after a bit of sleep, usb stick wasn't playing nice. So rewrote the image yet again.
But i end up getting... SD_Init: error sending CMD27, error = 00010000. Giving Up.

I'm guessing that's a connection problem? Connections are pretty short and solid, so I'm not sure...

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok i sorted it out after a bit of sleep, usb stick wasn't playing nice. So rewrote the image yet again.
But i end up getting... SD_Init: error sending CMD27, error = 00010000. Giving Up.

I'm guessing that's a connection problem? Connections are pretty short and solid, so I'm not sure...
si. thats some sort of communication prob. stuff you can try: power the pi from a computer usb port, plug in or remove (whatever you did not yet) the 3ds power supply, quadruple check your connections.

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
si. thats some sort of communication prob. stuff you can try: power the pi from a computer usb port, plug in or remove (whatever you did not yet) the 3ds power supply, quadruple check your connections.
Yeah i have no idea what's going on. :(
Checked / Rechecked connections multiple times, power pi from pc, no charger to 3ds, charger to 3ds... everything except unplugging hdmi and the usb stick and keyboard. Still the same result as above. Is it possible this 3ds is just beyond repair or does it just hate me? (It isn't mine, and was bricked by using the DS2+ GW plugin).

For reference (if it makes any difference): the bootrom error code is...

Errcode: 00F800EF
FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF
00000008 00000000

... Well i can't seem to get anywhere with this damn 3ds. :( 3dsunbricker gives the error mentioned earlier every time when i try unlock, query is fine. arduino and teensy both give the same output no matter what i do. Everything is wired up good, wires are short (not even 10cm I'm guessing, didn't measure) and all is connected correctly... Has me stumped. :(
Arduino/teensy output...
Enabled outputs/inputs
Initialized SPI with 250khz frequency
Waiting the minimum 80 cycles for warm up
Keeping CS line on low for communication
Reset command sent on MOSI, but no answer from the slave. Please check your card connection/soldering
Initialization failed
Retrying...

technewbie389

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I have a question. I updated my 3DS today (seriously, what was I thinking?) and now my DS TWO Plus doesn't show up on the home menu. I've downloaded the files from the site to patch the flashcart but that never showed up. Changed the file from "dstwoupdate.dat" to "dstwoupdated.dat" which helped the last time but that didn't load either. So I'm stumped.

Plus I've been reading all these new posts about a new DS TWO flashcart 4-in-1 which has me thinking that maybe mine has been blocked/erased due to it being old? HELP ME PLEASE! >_<

EDIT: Will I be required to downgrade my version? And if so, how can I ensure that I don't end up screwing things up and bricking up my 3DS? Btw, my 3DS is the old one, not the new one.

Last edited by technewbie389,

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, I have a question. I updated my 3DS today (seriously, what was I thinking?) and now my DS TWO Plus doesn't show up on the home menu. I've downloaded the files from the site to patch the flashcart but that never showed up. Changed the file from "dstwoupdate.dat" to "dstwoupdated.dat" which helped the last time but that didn't load either. So I'm stumped.

Plus I've been reading all these new posts about a new DS TWO flashcart 4-in-1 which has me thinking that maybe mine has been blocked/erased due to it being old? HELP ME PLEASE! >_<

EDIT: Will I be required to downgrade my version? And if so, how can I ensure that I don't end up screwing things up and bricking up my 3DS? Btw, my 3DS is the old one, not the new one.
Hey bro, I'm not sure what exactly you have got going on here, but I think you're in the wrong thread. This is about flashing a dead 3DS. If your is still working, there's nothing for you here. I am not sure whether DStwo+ supports the most recent firmware, but if you're thinking about downgrading to make it work, there is a software solution for that if you look in the Custom Firmware/Flashcard forum. I think what you probably want to do is downgrade to like 9.2 and then use custom firmware. And then if DStwo+ is blocked for 10.5 I am sure someone has figured a way to put it on the white list by now so you can use in ds mode. This information may not be precise, but should put you on the right track with some google-fu.

chaaren

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
someone who already unbricked your console. before you fix the 3ds, the computer detects the sd Hardmod good or not detect ?. someone already did this in a New 3ds XL ?
the answers are appreciated

CodeKiller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you restore a brick without a NAND backup like say just from the Update files? Or can you use another nand backup from a different 3ds? Would it just clone that 3ds?

Peninsula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a US o3ds that I accidentally bricked while trying to install arm9loaderhax. Is there anyone I can send my 3ds to that would be able to unbrick it if I have a couple different NAND dumps? I would obviously pay for shipping and labor. Please PM me if you'd like to help. I'll edit this post if I've found someone.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I have a US o3ds that I accidentally bricked while trying to install arm9loaderhax. Is there anyone I can send my 3ds to that would be able to unbrick it if I have a couple different NAND dumps? I would obviously pay for shipping and labor. Please PM me if you'd like to help. I'll edit this post if I've found someone.
pm @hundshamer

Reactions: Peninsula

GREAFOX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

Whn I want to have a dump NAND, here's my ERRCODE :

00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000200 00400000

He is not good because I must have a ZERO and not FOUR

The good code is

00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000200 00000000

Someone have a solution please ?

robertorpg94

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I did an update of my sysnand to 9.2 , can when restarted , my 3ds did not work , and did not enter the recovery , now do not know exactly what to do to recover my 3ds .

told me they have a means using the raspberry pi, however, I do not have a backup of the nand .

is there any solution?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    I knocked the east coast backbone of EarthLink offline for like 6 hours one time, was on the news and everything well I mean I wasn't on the news.... Just they where having "technical difficulties" lol
    +1
    Was just one single custom packet. I miss when Internet security was an afterthought lol almost all modems and network hardware operated in promiscuous mode.
    Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol
    They did end up using some of my stuff in the first Gulf war though lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GUYS I JUST COMMENTED A YOUR MOM JOKE ON A GACHA YT COMMUNITY POST (the algorithm has cursed me in terms of community posts, bc I fuck around on that sort of community post, just commenting and being a jackass)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT FELT SO GOOD
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the OP made a couple vocaloid characters, and the post had the caption "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: they're from vocaloid"
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    to which I responded:
    "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: it's uremum"
    +1
    I studied IPV6 if they hadn't passed the cyber terrorism laws omg.... In theory I have some awesome pranks but I'm afraid to test them lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thank goodness for VPN nowadays
    I don't trust them lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I don't trust them lol