:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Dragonlord said:
Achievements = gimmick (what a waste of time. if you are a true gamer you don't need shit like this)
"fake" 3D = gimmick (and totally useless shit... only "true" 3D is worth it)
Friends List = gimmick (biggest crap idea ever. if you are a true gamer you don't need shit like this)

So yes, this console is a huge gimmick parade. Better it is from a technical point of view in that it has larger screens and more 3D-Rendering (OpenGL! not "fake" 3D!) power than the previous console. But that's also not what I talk about. Somewhat more power is nice but if the games stay the crap they are today this won't help much.

What the hell?

First of all, I love achievements and friends list. I don't know what the fuck your trying to do here. Maybe a pathetic troll attempt? I mean, even people at E3 said the 3D was amazing.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I may not be one for achievements and friend lists like people that are, but should Nintendo be pushing this, they would also be pushing for more "online" capabilities, you know, that connection that let's the "casual and hardcore gamers" play against each other around the world?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing I hate about this is that they assume everyone actually wants to go online with their games. Personally, I don't care one iota about going online with a handheld system. While I'm sure I'm in the minority on this stance, I'm also sure I'm not the only who feels this way.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
achievements extend the life of a game. I have a handfull of xb360 where I already beat the main game. Thanks to the achievements, I have a reason to go back and do the optional stuff. Witch I have done with 99% of them. I will be continuing to do so.

I know If the wii had achievements, I would go back to playing SMG more often. However it doesn't and now it will collect dust for months on end until i get in the mood to play it again.

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
achievements extend the life of a game. I have a handfull of xb360 where I already beat the main game. Thanks to the achievements, I have a reason to go back and do the optional stuff. Witch I have done with 99% of them. I will be continuing to do so.

I know If the wii had achievements, I would go back to playing SMG more often. However it doesn't and now it will collect dust for months on end until i get in the mood to play it again.

Agreed. I BARELY EVER play wii, due to all of the flaws. It's a great system, but... really Nintendo? Only 480i? It looks like total shit on a 1080p TV and I just can't stand it. Sure, I can take it to play some good games every once in a while but it just looks terrible..

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
^480p

ProtoKun7 said:
Great idea!
yay3ds.png

Hopefully there won't be any 3DS shovelware though...
Nice emoticon.

What is shovelware?
Is it low quality games? I don't think it could be, then it would be called "bad games", to me shovelware seems like a word for a console having so many games, that you have to shovel them out of your way to play a good one.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
^480p

ProtoKun7 said:
Great idea!
yay3ds.png

Nice emoticon.

What is shovelware?
Is it low quality games? I don't think it could be, then it would be called "bad games", to me shovelware seems like a word for a console having so many games, that you have to shovel them out of your way to play a good one.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

That's what it's always meant to me.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
Nollog said:
^480p

ProtoKun7 said:
Great idea!
yay3ds.png

Nice emoticon.

What is shovelware?

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

That's what it's always meant to me.
lol
Power_Shovel_ntsc-front.jpg

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, shovelware pretty much means games that are universally considered bad produced in high quantities.

A few decades back, there were a lot of bad games that were basically sent to landfills. It might come from that.

popoffka

Trophies
Website
popoffka.ru
XP
Country
Shovelware is a derogatory computer jargon term that refers to software noted more for the quantity of what is included than for the quality or usefulness. The term is also used to refer to software that is ported from one computer platform or storage medium to another with little thought given to adapting it for use on the destination platform or medium, resulting in poor quality.
The metaphor implies that the creators showed little care for the original software, as if the new compilation or version had been indiscriminately created/ported with a shovel, without any care shown for the condition of the software on the newly created product.
The term "shovelware" is coined with semantic analogy to phrases like shareware and freeware, which describe methods of software distribution.

Wikipedia

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
popoffka said:
Shovelware is a derogatory computer jargon term that refers to software noted more for the quantity of what is included than for the quality or usefulness. The term is also used to refer to software that is ported from one computer platform or storage medium to another with little thought given to adapting it for use on the destination platform or medium, resulting in poor quality.
The metaphor implies that the creators showed little care for the original software, as if the new compilation or version had been indiscriminately created/ported with a shovel, without any care shown for the condition of the software on the newly created product.
The term "shovelware" is coined with semantic analogy to phrases like shareware and freeware, which describe methods of software distribution.

Wikipedia
so basically shovelware only exist on computers & macs?

killeryunran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
t377y000 said:
popoffka said:

Wikipedia
so basically shovelware only exist on computers & macs?

I lol'ed. But shovelware also means every remake that isn't 'upgraded' in some way or another. So it doesn't mean that every shovelware game is bad...
Because there are still some great rem...you know, never mind. After thinking a bit. I've come to the conclusion that there wasn't even one remake which I was very happy about except for those remakes that I've never played before...

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Very glad they are adding achievements now, it's an achievement I'm going to love that one.
Voice chat, don't care, friends list is a nice addition but not necassery IMHO.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know It would be a nice change for Big N to add achievements to there games. I mean lets look at the Metroid Prime Trilogy, (Yes I know it's not a handheld game) but bare with me. I scraped every corner, nook and cranny to find those achievements and dammit I found them all...lol. So I ask why not do the same thing to there 3DS or even there next batch of wii games?

Only the future will tell, I suppose!

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
awssk8er said:
I'm probably going to turn the 3D off after the first week to save battery.
i'm guessing the way it will work is that turning 3d off will just move both cameras to the same position so that both eyes see the same thing..
if that is in fact what they're doing then you wouldn't save any battery life in 2d mode
frown.gif

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My replies are in bold!
Dragonlord said:
If you have no idea about 3D rendering and 3D tech in general don't go around dissing people. Fake or true 3D refers to the eye-distance. If it's non-matching it's fake or incorrect. Not only is the effect limited it's also bad for the eyes and brain over long time since you have to "twist" your eyes and brain so to speak. Again more I won't say since the same people keep asking the same stupid questions. Fact is the 3DS uses "fake 3D" like 3D movies are using it or these new 3D tvs and no dissing is going to change that. Nothing more to say about that topic too.

So How many other things are you going to diss at because they use the same fledgling technology?

Improved Wifi... don't make me laugh. There isn't much improved on that. The analog nub/stick I already mentioned why it is a design-fail. As what goes for graphics I said they are improved. More or less the only thing which really improved. Increased storage is nice but that alone does not make a big difference. I doubt the storage limitations had limited NDS games. I've seen many NDS games with medium size consumption beat those going all the way up. "evolution" in game consoles is anyways something else by the way. Only a few changes in history so far had been real revolutions. The replacement cycle in consoles is anyways since quite some time a critic point. Of course you can simply look past this and pretend it's "evolution" but that would be far fetched... or rather said "hype machinery".

I don't think you understand the difference between revision, and evolution. The DS has gone through three revisions, and the same can be said about the GBA. The GB and GBC can be considered hardware revisions also. Revisions are a marketing strategy. However the only reason the GBA went through that 3rd revision (micro), is because Nintendo was afraid that the DS was too new of a name, and that they needed to have something to fall back on. However when a new Generation comes out with new features such as: Wi-Fi, increased storage, better graphics, and software additions such as these etc., it's called a evolution.

I didn't say it sucks. I said it's not worth the drama nor hype since it's more or less just an NDS with a better GPU. Most of the gimmicks tacked on top of it are there to try to position it as something better. A typical marketing stunt. If you have an NDS there's not much reason to go for a 3DS. If your NDS breaks though or you have none then it makes sense to go for a 3DS. But it's not going to be the holy grail nor a quantum leap... not with what is here on the table right now as hard and solid facts. I'm looking at this from a pure technical and game-dev point of view. Everything else doesn't interest me. If it's not helping the game it's gimmick.

You are basically saying it sucks by calling it a gimmick. Because in the general sense a "Gimmick" describes something that has been poorly implemented/ new and otherwise unfamiliar to the general public. This could have described the DS when it first came out, and the same could be applied to GPS when it first came out as well. Also due to the fact that they will inevitably drop DS support entirely, upgrading to a new generation is a good idea.

Guys, this person has stated their opinion (in quite lengthy comments I might add), so don't flame him/her. While their opinion may be a bit biased (trollish to some), I for one believe that this is a turn in the right direction. It's time for handhelds to become fully fledged consoles. I in fact play my DS more before I go to bed, I even play it sometimes for two hours or more at a time. This could keep me from my Home console as I do so enjoy playing as I go. We all know the random place that there is a public or unsecured Wi-Fi network.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL