3DS to have achievements, friends list, potential voice chat

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by T3GZdev, Jun 17, 2010.

1. T3GZdev
    OP

Member T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

United States
    this info below was provided at nintendo everything.

This information comes from EA’s Ryan Stradling, who was speaking about the 3DS on Nintendo’s E3 site…
    I’m marking this as a rumor for now since Nintendo has yet to confirm this information outright. Also, the voice chat bit isn’t too clear at this point. Still, this news sounds exciting nonetheless.

SOURCE:
    http://www.nintendoeverything.com/42812/

[​IMG]
    from that above it looks like it.
    also at e3 Nintendo said it would have the feature to see when friends are online.

2. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    That would be kick ass.

3. Beats

Banned Beats Banned

Australia
    It's like it has Steam... [​IMG]

I'd lol if the system menu was steam. [​IMG]

4. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Yeah... No.

Anyways, this would be pretty cool, it would also mean there wouldn't be thousands of pages in the shoutbox filled with people posting shit on how they just won/lost a game of Mario Kart, Pokémon, etc. [​IMG]

5. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    I'm almost sure I will have voice chat, as some games already support it on the regular DS. As for friends lists, we have that on the Wii (Wii Address Book), so maybe they will bring that in?

Achievements... I'm not so sure about.

6. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    Wow it seems like the 3DS is trying very hard to be like a home console ....but smaller and portable......its entering the age were we no longer have to sacrifice features for a portable console.....i dare say it seems allmost as if the portable might dominate the home consoles [​IMG]

7. Dragonlord

Member Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue

Switzerland
    They should better make better games and better consoles instead of wasting time on crappy and useless gimmicks like this.

8. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    The 3d may be a gimmick....MAY.....but theres no denying that the console itself is vastly superior to the DSi
    Therefor 3DS = Not a gimmick......

9. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    I don't find this a useless gimmick at all. It's nice to know what you're friends are up to, and a chat feature of some sort through the 3DS itself would be a nice feature, even better if you could access it in-game via home menu.

10. T3GZdev
    OP

Member T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

United States
    gimmick? what game console? or handheld game console have console has ever had 3D without glasses before?

11. Dragonlord

Member Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue

Switzerland
    Achievements = gimmick (what a waste of time. if you are a true gamer you don't need shit like this)
    "fake" 3D = gimmick (and totally useless shit... only "true" 3D is worth it)
    Friends List = gimmick (biggest crap idea ever. if you are a true gamer you don't need shit like this)

So yes, this console is a huge gimmick parade. Better it is from a technical point of view in that it has larger screens and more 3D-Rendering (OpenGL! not "fake" 3D!) power than the previous console. But that's also not what I talk about. Somewhat more power is nice but if the games stay the crap they are today this won't help much.

12. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    @Dragonlord - True gamers play for entertainment. And gathering achievements is a form of my entertainment. If I'm not a true gamer I don't know what a gamer is... I play online games to become the best at killing people, and I love to talk trash over a mic. lol

13. snico1995

Member snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    how is the 3d fake again?? and achievements and friends list (which is almost needed to do online gameing) are not gimmicks they add aloooott to games, trust me, i hae had nothing but a wii for 3 years and now i bought a 360 and trust me....friends lists are nooottt a gimmick

14. Nikolay

Member Nikolay GBAtemp Fan

United States
    They better ditch friend codes.

15. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I like the sound of an online friends list and such, and the sound of achievements.

16. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    ^This. The 3DS would become a legendary handheld in my books, if it had everything the first post included.

17. Gus122000

Member Gus122000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    I would never touch my 360 again...

18. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    Well, the Wii and DS are constantly being criticized for not having these extra features, so... In an effort to make their consoles better, they're adding them.

Besides, how else can you make a console good without nifty features? [​IMG]

19. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Whats a XBOX 360 again? [​IMG]

20. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Umm, what? None of those are even confirmed for the 3DS. And no one knows what you mean by fake 3D(unless you're talking about the optical effect of the screen). What you are calling a gimmick is a hardware revision, which means you're saying the SNES, N64, and GBA were all gimmick systems? It all comes down to developers to make an incredible game. And you realize it's hard to create an amazing game on it's own when you're always comparing it to past games? No game has come close to OoT, Metroid Prime, Golden Sun, FFV, or SOTC. But none of those gave me the experience of Ouendan, Phoenix Wright, Hotel Dusk, and Demon's Souls. Plus, there are so many other games I can add from past and present generation gaming.

And who are you to decide what a true gamer is? I guess true gamers like to live with inconveniences. So true gamers are loners who don't have any friends? Or if they do they memorize all their friends' numbers or info. So I'm guessing you use IM services without adding friends and your cell phone has no contacts. Seriously, friend lists was one of the worst ideas ever known to man.