Homebrew 3DS System Transfer without NNID?

naddel81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi @ all,

I am quite certain I do not even have a NNID on my 3DS since I never went into eshop to buy anything. I have created a personal mii, of course. But I cannot remember to have ever created or logged into a Nintendo Account an a 3DS.
So if I transfer my system to another 3DS:
1. Will that work from Emunand if the target 3DS has a smaller SD Card?
2. Can I still play everything when I restore my SD card (from a Win32Image) on the source 3DS?
3. Do I still have to wait 7 days and call Nintendo?

Best wishes!

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
1. Yes, the target 3ds will use the source's sd card after the transfer is done.
2. Assuming you're saying from the source, right? Yes. However, you need to backup your emunand and all the content of your sd card first then restore it after the transfer is done. No need to use win32imager
3. If you want to transfer back, you'll have to wait for a week OR call Nintendo to transfer it back immediately.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

naddel81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply. How does the transfer work if I only have a smaller SD card on the target system?
I want to restore the SD Card after deletion immediately. So I go to win32imager and put it back into my source 3DS. will that work or do I have to call Big N for that?

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
AFAIK system transfer won't transfer anything from the source's sd card to the target's sd card. You'll have to use the source's sd card to the target 3ds (Better Option) OR transfer the files yourself manually using a PC (Best option). May I ask why you want to do a system transfer?

EDIT: there is actually an option to transfer the files during the system transfer process but it's not recommended to use.

naddel81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need to system transfer in order to get a bought DSiware game to the new system (because of DSiwarehax).
I would rather start fresh on the new3DS.

What I am about to do now is: Clone the old SD Card and use a 1:1 copy in the new one. That way I have both the new and the old 3DS use the same games, right? I have never used a NNID on my 3DS.

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
No need to have and NNID for the system transfer to work.

Here's my suggestion on what you need to do:
1. Make a nand backup of your source 3ds. (to be safe)
2. Backup all the contents of your source's sd card to your PC. (to be safe)
(No need to use the win32diskimager since the emunand partition won't be deleted)
3. Do the system transfer.
4. Use the source's sd card to the target 3ds. (just until you do the dsiware firm downgrade)
5. Do the dsiware firm downgrade.
6. restore the files from the PC to your source's sd card and insert it back to the source 3DS.
7. restore the source's nand backup.
8. continue with the arm9 setup on the target 3ds with a different sd card.
9. ???
10. profit!

EDIT: only legally bought games can be transferred, pirated games won't.

Last edited by annson24,
Reactions: naddel81

naddel81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
great! will try that! I do not need the Sysnand backup, only SD cards emunand backup is needed for that from the source 3DS, right?

I'd rather do a full card 1:1 image so in this case I have both (folders and emunand partition) back to how it was before.

After the hack on the new 3DS I could use the SD card in both devices and the games would be recognized, right?

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
If you're going to transfer from emunand then you need to do an emunand backup first. Otherwise, do a sysnand backup. It's up to you on how you will backup :). Unfortunately, the target 3ds won't recognize the pirated games from the source 3ds, you'll still have to install the games to the target 3DS.

Reactions: naddel81

naddel81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And it won't even recognize the pirated content after installing CFW on the new device? I thought system transfer would copy the encryption and make the old content usable on the new CFW machine?

To be clear: I will system transfer my emunand to the new machine and then be able to use the sd card with all its content on the new device? Why would aid have to reinstall even on CFW on the new 3ds?

Last edited by naddel81,

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
AFAIK you'll have to connect to Nintendo's server just before the system transfer begin, doing so, Nintendo will tell the 3ds'es which titles are legally bought and should be included in the transfer. I may be wrong with this but I've already tried doing a system transfer and no pirated games got transferred.

naddel81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, that sounds understandable. But what if I restore my sd card after transfer from an image I made before? Then I should be able to use everything on the new CFW machine, right? Basically I just want to clone the emunand and the games to the new machine. Will that work when I use CFW?

Last edited by naddel81,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Gy3BOmvLf2w?list=OLAK5uy_k27izUIERfT-RIE1qN1CHIOIkW4h5A9BY Play this song if...