Hardware 3DS Sound Options - virtual surround, how does it work?

BiggieCheese

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is something I’ve thought about for a long time, but what’s with the surround output setting located in the System Settings app? Obviously, it doesn’t provide true surround sound as the 3DS doesn’t have any outputs capable pushing out that level of bandwidth, so it likely uses an HTRF/3D audio solution. But I guess what I was wondering was: given that it seems to be forced on a system-based level (DS(i) and GBA modes excluded) do any games actually have proper support for it (like they have proper channels dictated internally for what would be rear/front surrounds that HTRF handles and maps for 2.0 speaker output)
Why does it seem to lower the overall sound quality when enabled, does it lower the actual output frequency or is Nintendo’s HTRF algorithm just somewhat destructive? Would it, in theory, be possible for someone to create a custom HTRF profile (assuming such a thing even exists within the 3DS and is accessible) and modify the system firmware, allowing for that to be used instead of Nintendo’s standard version?
Oh and another thing, I remember reading people suggest it’s explicitly designed with the 3DS’s system speakers in mind and not a pair of headphones a long time ago, I don’t think there’s that much public documentation on it from Nintendo’s end, so does anybody know if there’s any truth to that?

Last edited by BiggieCheese, , Reason: Added another question

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Toxic pills are best
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, He fucked around and found out.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Lol Veho
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O OMG. A Very EXPENSIVE way to find out :ohnoes:
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    He was trying to whip shitties but instead he wiped out and ate shit.
    +3
    He was better off Whipping his own :shit:. :unsure::unsure::unsure: But then again.. Maybe not. Eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Whip it real good
    Nah. Cool Whip is better :D
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cool wHip
    Especially on Chocolate Ice Cream :D:wub::D
    awwwh :shit: ! I shouldn't have done that. Now that song will play on my mind ALL Day :sad::cry:
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder how long it will take for my number to port over lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dm it to me and you'll find out
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :ninja: