Hacking 3DS randomly crashing (Argh!)

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luma 8.0 and greater will only work on B9S 1.2+ so if you have 8.0, 8.1 or 8.1.1 you will have B9S 1.2+
Again, I'm -really- dumb about this and paranoid.. How can I check for sure what version of Luma I have? After I can check, I'll downgrade it and get back to you, which, btw, you and everyone else in this thread have been a great help to me and I really appreciate it :)

Hopefully we can nip this issue in the bud and have an archived solution in Google for if anyone else comes across this problem, because I hadn't been able to really find a conclusive answer to it yet

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, sorry for double-posts, but y'know, updates and stuff.. I think downgrading to 7.1. might've fixed my random ErrDisp messages, but funnily enough, given my luck, I've been getting random error messages from the actual 3DS software. Earlier, I got one that said "An error has occurred. Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again. For help, visit support.nintendo.com." while playing Street Fighter 4, and just a minute ago, when trying to launch Freeshop, I got a message saying "The SD card was removed."

The important part of this is that both messages were portrayed -way- differently than the errors I had originally written in about, with them appearing in a more Nintendo-ish font, and obviously being from the actual software on the system, as opposed to a CFW error screen.

It's one thing after another, isn't it? Ah, well.. If you guys have any ideas, I'm all for 'em at this point. Who knows what could be the problem now.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well, sorry for double-posts, but y'know, updates and stuff.. I think downgrading to 7.1. might've fixed my random ErrDisp messages, but funnily enough, given my luck, I've been getting random error messages from the actual 3DS software. Earlier, I got one that said "An error has occurred. Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again. For help, visit support.nintendo.com." while playing Street Fighter 4, and just a minute ago, when trying to launch Freeshop, I got a message saying "The SD card was removed."

The important part of this is that both messages were portrayed -way- differently than the errors I had originally written in about, with them appearing in a more Nintendo-ish font, and obviously being from the actual software on the system, as opposed to a CFW error screen.

It's one thing after another, isn't it? Ah, well.. If you guys have any ideas, I'm all for 'em at this point. Who knows what could be the problem now.
I think the same thing is happening, just before Luma was capturing them to display and now they are being left to the software.

Reactions: wormdood

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the same thing is happening, just before Luma was capturing them to display and now they are being left to the software.
Yeah.. I dunno. I keep getting hit with "An error has occurred. Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again. For help, visit support.nintendo.com." and I read online that it could be due to damage to the wifi card, so it recommended me turn it off, turn my 3DS off, back on, etc.. But the problem persists. At this point, I have no idea what's going on, and it sucks. I'm hoping maybe it's just a software interference of some kind, and someone will come in here and point it out, but that's just me trying to stay hopeful.

I hope this all works out.. :(

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah.. I dunno. I keep getting hit with "An error has occurred. Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again. For help, visit support.nintendo.com." and I read online that it could be due to damage to the wifi card, so it recommended me turn it off, turn my 3DS off, back on, etc.. But the problem persists. At this point, I have no idea what's going on, and it sucks. I'm hoping maybe it's just a software interference of some kind, and someone will come in here and point it out, but that's just me trying to stay hopeful.

I hope this all works out.. :(
honestly sounds like your sd slot is at fault and there is not much that can be done about that
you can attempt to clean it (the only free-ish solution i can think of it may not work but its definitely worth a try)
or a different sd card (and/or microsd to sd adapter) (depending on what you have this could cost you and is not guaranteed to work)
or as a last resort you can replace it (or pay someone else to do it) (highly likely to fix your problem)
and as an extreme measure you could back up all your saves and take it to gamestop trade it in pay a little out of pocket and get another (2/)3ds (100% fixed replaced)

had to put the douche-iest move last

Reactions: Quantumcat

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
honestly sounds like your sd slot is at fault and there is not much that can be done about that
you can attempt to clean it (the only free-ish solution i can think of it may not work but its definitely worth a try)
or a different sd card (and/or microsd to sd adapter) (depending on what you have this could cost you and is not guaranteed to work)
or as a last resort you can replace it (or pay someone else to do it) (highly likely to fix your problem)
and as an extreme measure you could back up all your saves and take it to gamestop trade it in pay a little out of pocket and get another (2/)3ds (100% fixed replaced)

had to put the douche-iest move last
Well, I'm gonna try a different SD card tomorrow, hopefully to good results, so I'll have to report back on that, but man.. I'm gonna hate to do any of those other things :( Here's hoping for something good!

What's really confusing to me is that before I downgraded Luma, I'd get those CFW ErrDisp messages probably like.. Every day and a half or so, but since downgrading, I've been getting those official messages probably every twenty or so minutes, which makes me -hope- that it's actually a software issue with hopefully an easy enough fix.. I know correlation doesn't equal causation, but dammit, a man can dream, right?

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all! Here with a question.. Quoted screenshot for relevancy

H7NYkHk.png
Part of the problem with my SD card is that sometimes it won't even boot with the SD card in it: The blue light will flash once, and then off. I've been reading online to update arm9loaderhax.bin and put it on the root of the card.. But as you can see in this screenshot, I don't have it. I'm running Luma, I have no idea how my 3DS was modded.. Is there a way I can check/is having this file needed no matter what? It's not located anywhere on my SD card, apparently.

Here's hoping we're getting to the bottom of this!

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Hi all! Here with a question.. Quoted screenshot for relevancy

Part of the problem with my SD card is that sometimes it won't even boot with the SD card in it: The blue light will flash once, and then off. I've been reading online to update arm9loaderhax.bin and put it on the root of the card.. But as you can see in this screenshot, I don't have it. I'm running Luma, I have no idea how my 3DS was modded.. Is there a way I can check/is having this file needed no matter what? It's not located anywhere on my SD card, apparently.

Here's hoping we're getting to the bottom of this!
It sounds like your SD is failing, then. Also, please follow this.
https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

Last edited by Joom,

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like your SD is failing, then.
I'm just sitting here thinking "hopefully not" but then again, hopefully SO if that means finding a conclusive answer. I'm gonna reformat my card and give it another go, but if that doesn't work, I'm gonna probably end up ordering another card from Amazon, and of course, I'll report back with my findings.

Do you happen to know if there are any notable brands of 32GB SD cards to avoid? Because, you know, just my luck..

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Do you happen to know if there are any notable brands of 32GB SD cards to avoid? Because, you know, just my luck..
Don't buy from ebay or third party Amazon sellers. If you can buy from a brick and mortar store that's better than buying online from anywhere. The brand doesn't matter too much!

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now Amazon is selling 64gb micro SD's for $20, which is pretty good. Also, ebay seller "allizwell2k10" ships from Simi Valley, California and has good prices. I get all my storage stuff from them and it's legit.

Reactions: Pezzy

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just sitting here thinking "hopefully not" but then again, hopefully SO if that means finding a conclusive answer. I'm gonna reformat my card and give it another go, but if that doesn't work, I'm gonna probably end up ordering another card from Amazon, and of course, I'll report back with my findings.

either i am too high right now or the perfect amount because i just remembered something . . . this error can be caused by corruption on the sd card look through each and every folder for something unusual (ex a file that takes up more space than the sd card and/or a file with gibberish for a name)

Avoid any that seem too good to be true. If you find a 64 GB SD for $20, don't trust it.
i can get a "stolen" but totally legit one from my corner store for $15 . . . one good thing about living in the ghetto ... fiends make great boosters

Last edited by wormdood,

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I formatted the card tonight, did everything I had to bring it up to par, you know, Fat32 and the sort, and I managed to play Super Mario Bros 2 Gold Edition (a game that would quickly cause errors on my 3DS) for an hour straight without problem, but then when I tried using my SNES emulator, I hit the home button to check something out, and the official message of "The SD card has been removed" popped up. Maybe I need to learn magic or something. I'm gonna try to hit up Best Buy in the next day or two to pick up a new SD card, and God, I hope that's all it is..

either i am too high right now or the perfect amount because i just remembered something . . . this error can be caused by corruption on the sd card look through each and every folder for something unusual (ex a file that takes up more space than the sd card and/or a file with gibberish for a name)
I haven't seen anything like that on my SD card, but I'll take a good look tomorrow.. Thank you :)

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everybody! I bought a new 32GB SD card, and I've been trying everything to trigger a crash on my 3DS, but so far, an hour in, no crashes. I'll let you guys know in a week or so if I haven't experienced any crashes, so hopefully this'll be a good, archived answer to the problem.

Massive thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, and in case I don't respond soon (really hope I won't have to), happy holidays, everyone :)

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just here to provide an update I should've provided a few days ago.. The SD card replacement WORKED!! God, I've been so happy :) Massive thanks to everyone in this thread, you guys are great!! :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Found a bag of unpopped pop corn expired March 23 eating it anyway +1