~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not one of those people who is foaming at the mouth for a 3DS, I'm actually pretty ambivalent about the whole thing. However, from my perspective I feel it is not overhyped, even though I lack sufficient interest. We are talking about a handheld with enough power to almost rival current gen consoles (though it dedicates much of that power to 3D which gives the illusion that it is less powerful), with a massively impressive game lineup from the word go, and the only device in the world currently to offer true 3D without the need for $150 glasses.

I feel I am coming at this from a fairly objective standpoint of disinterest, and from that perspective even I feel there really doesn't seem to be anything about this product that isn't impressive.

Erdnaxela

Trophies
XP
Country
France
3DS Overhyped?
Nah..

Quincy said:
And just to get you all excited:

Boxshot_3dsrood.jpg
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG
closedeyes.gif

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh dear. haha.
Well hold on. Cause the DS was hyped pretty bad too, but looking back is the touch screen a gimmick like the Wii is?

I think the DS touch screen is a good thing. And i hope the 3DS follows suit.

The Wii is another boat all together.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Son of Science said:
BortzANATOR said:
NO the 3DS is going to be awesome. I cant wait to get my hands on one.
This reminds me of the Wii hype. We all know how bad the Wii turned out to be
biggrin.gif

Goodnight, sweet prince.
The thing about the Wii hype, was that nobody had experienced motion-control on a home console, so the possibilities were very interesting. The Nintendo DS is already established, and if you're like me, you are getting amazing entertainment out of the DS Lite. Since I already feel so enthusiastic about the older DS Lite hardware, with upcoming games like Okamiden, it's easy to get excited about the 3DS......

Take something you already enjoy, add 3D technology, an analogue stick, beefed-up graphics, and perhaps the most amazing game library possible, and you simply can't lose. I have no doubts that the 3DS is going to satisfy me, flashcarts or not, and I'll be among the other happy tempers that own one from the getgo.

Link2999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS will be a great handheld for maybe 2 years, but after that it'll get filled with shovelware just like the Wii and DS systems. That's the problem with games today, a good release only comes out once or twice a year now and even then they aren't too great. It looks like all the best games are going to be available at launch for the 3DS. It's funny how the Gamecube and Gameboys did a good job at avoiding most of the shovelware as even the no-name publisher games were fun to play.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Link2999 said:
The 3DS will be a great handheld for maybe 2 years, but after that it'll get filled with shovelware just like the Wii and DS systems. That's the problem with games today, a good release only comes out once or twice a year now and even then they aren't too great. It looks like all the best games are going to be available at launch for the 3DS. It's funny how the Gamecube and Gameboys did a good job at avoiding most of the shovelware as even the no-name publisher games were fun to play.
You really need to go back and look at the game libraries for the Gamecube and Gameboy systems to realize that nothing has changed. Romsets for said systems exceed 1,000 games, yet only a couple dozen games are worth playing. I work in a store that still sells games for older systems, and trust me, the only crap left behind is shovelware at it's finest. Anything worth owning, playing, collecting, is posted on eBay, and for good reason.

The popularity of the Wii has created perhaps the worst shovelware onslaught in recent history, but crap games have always existed, and dominated the consoles we've come to love, even the Super Nintendo. You only need to stop and ask yourself why you buy a Nintendo console in the first place. Most likely it's for the Mario, Metroid, Zelda, or perhaps Pokemon titles that continue to be exclusive to Nintendo systems. Then there's the occasional third-party game that is exclusive to Nintendo, which is fantastic, but those are far and few between.

When I look at my Gamecube, I only see a few games that really made the system stand out:

1. Eternal Darkness: Santity's Requiem.....Perhaps one of the greatest exclusive game I've ever played....ever.....
2. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.......great game
3. Resident Evil 4.......Yeah it came out on PS2, but the GC version came out first, and it' possbibly my favorite game of all time.
4. Viewtiful Joe.....Again, released on PS2, but the GC version was first, and this game was amazing.
5. Ikaruga....how vertical shooters were destined to be
6. Animal Crossing....my heroin hero in a nutshell....
7. Chibi Robo....the best game nobody ever played.

There are a couple other great games, but most everything else was shovelware, just like the Wii. Just remember to look at the ration of "must play" games, to the otherwise forgettable crap that youl'll find in abundance in your bargain bins.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes of course it is, that's what you want when releasing something new. Get people into a frenzy, and even if people are slightly disappointed the fact that shit sold so well adds to the hype and product shortages adds to desire.

Nintendo have recently discovered the power of decent marketing and are getting very good at it. Until the Wii I hadn't seen an ad outside of games magazines for a Ninty product (or any games) since the launch of the SNES.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
I just realized...

Quincy said:
Lmao, still, When the Wii came out the popular tab wasn't filled with Wii stuff!

Wii came out in 2006, and the popular tab didn't come until this year, like prowler said... *checks his join date* Hmm, maybe he was a guest then...

Quincy said:
QUOTE(CrimzonEyed @ Oct 12 2010, 10:28 AM) Neither was i:P but i did check this forum as a quest
smile.gif
I didn't do that either
tongue.gif

*checks join date again* Oh, right, 2008. Yup, he be trollin'.

KinGamer7

Trophies
XP
Country
Quincy said:
And just to get you all excited:

Boxshot_3dsrood.jpg

*drool*
Quincy, all you're doing is teasing me in a very evil way; the red 3DS is what I was hoping to get at launch, but only Cosmos Black and Aqua Blue will be available at first!
ohnoes.png

I personally don't feel that the 3DS is over hyped by any means; from the details released, Nintendo has truly created yet another handheld console with enough innovation and horsepower inside to be something really special. March couldn't come sooner!

Eighteen

Trophies
Website
3DGamelayer.yolasite.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, I totally love handhelds, and since I've got the DS (the big stupid fat brick one)..
..I've been playing it almost everyday, even today (just finished 999 btw
yay.gif
)

And the 3DS has even better graphix, so for me I know I won't be disappointed.. besides if you are a 3D vision wh*re like me
happy.gif
You know the hype is just about right!!
yay.gif

on the otherhand, if you totally don't give a poop about 3D gaming and you rarely touch your DS today..
You will likely do the very same to the 3DS after a few weeks/months the 3DS has been released.
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up