3ds on CFW, updated through System Update pls help

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by MadonnaProject, Jan 12, 2017.

1. MadonnaProject
    OP

MadonnaProject Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2006
    Hi Guys, I know this is a daft question but I had my 3ds on CFW and my nephew was playing on it and updated it through the system update utility. It was a limited edition version too. This 3ds was perfect. I am absolutely devastated so please go easy on me (I have seen other such posts where the responses were particularly harsh).

The 3ds turns on, but the blue light comes on with a black screen. I have tried to do a recovery boot holding the shoulder buttons and u+A and it doesn't work. Funnily enough holding the power button again for a few seconds makes it do a hard shutdown so there's some life in it.

Is there anything else I can do?

2. dkabot

dkabot Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    Hard shutdown is, well, hard.
    It doesn't matter what's running (or not), you can always do that.

What CFW were you running, where (sys/emu), what entrypoint... basically, you'd need to list everything that was related to that CFW to get a solid answer (for what happened).

3. VictorMoreno015

VictorMoreno015 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    United States
    Las Vegas
    If you had Arm9LoaderHax installed then your best bet is to update your Luma. The one you have installed is most likely outdated. Theres absolutely no way that it could've suddenly bricked if it updated, only if you have a o3ds ctrnand transfer installed on a n3ds.

4. MadonnaProject
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2006
    Hi guys thanks for the reply. I had A9LH installed which I put on a week ago. It was all working fine then my nephew started an update through the OFFICIAL new 3ds Xl update utility in settings. As it updated I didn't want to switch the console off as it says don't do that or it will damage the system. When it finished it said it will restart and finish updating the system. I thought I'd have to only reinstall the cfw after this but since it restarted its been stuck on a black screen.

How can I update luma? Is it even possible? I'm getting a black screen on the console. Doesn't it mean it's hard bricked? I've tried recovery mode but no help.

Last edited by MadonnaProject, Jan 12, 2017
  5. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    After you installed a9lh, did you upgrade back to 11.2 from 2.1?

6. MadonnaProject
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2006
    I had official firmware 11.2 installed which I "upgraded" to A9LH. However then my nephew updated over that in system settings which would have been an official firmware update.

7. Bu2d85

Bu2d85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Bu2d85 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2014
    United States
    I think the arm9loaderhax.bin on your sd card is corrupt. Try replacing it.

This has happened to me a few times after doing a system transfer. I know you only updated but give it a shot.

8. MadonnaProject
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2006
    But the 3ds is not giving any display. Only blank screen. I've tried using various memory cards and even without a memcard>

9. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    Follow the steps in https://3ds.guide/9.2.0-ctrtransfer to go down, and then back up to 11.2? Or try using luma to boot into decrypt9 and restore backup.

10. Bu2d85

Bu2d85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Bu2d85 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2014
    United States
    Did you put a new arm9loaderhax.bin on the different cards you tried?

11. Ricken

Ricken Crawling from Hell, Falling from Grace

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Shibuya, The small one from Vegas
    The only way that updating would have broke A9LH (Yes, officially) is if you were using Cakes or Corbenik. I bet you were using Luma though, so what the heck happened here...

12. MadonnaProject
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2006
    Guys thanks for your help it is much appreciated. However will your suggestions still be valid if upon pressing the power button the 3ds does NOT come on? The screens stay blank and the only thing which shows signs of life is the blue light.

Hey, thanks for the advice. How do I boot into Luma and/or use Luma to boot into decrypt 9? I am not as technically clued up on the 3ds as the rest of you so a dumbed down version would be highly appreciated.

13. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    Hold select on boot, does anything happen? You have to press power then IMMEDIATELY hold select.

14. MadonnaProject
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2006
    No, nothing happens. I do have a 1.3GB file in the files9 folder on the SD card called NANDmin.bin and strangely enough in the same folder 2.1.0-4E_ctrtransfer_o3ds.bin and 2.1.0-4E_ctrtransfer_o3ds.sha (but I have a new 3ds). This is the only thing which might have been wrong but the CFW was working perfectly before my nephew updated through the official update.

15. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    Follow the 9.2CTRtransfer guide until you get into decrypt9 (you'll know) then restore the backup NANDmin.bin through it.

16. MadonnaProject
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2006
    Does this mean the 3ds is not bricked or dead? Even if there is evidence of an OLD 3ds file being on there do you think? I know you can't tell unless you have it in front of you but you sound experienced in this lol.

17. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    2.1 is only available for Old 3DS, but it's required as part of the install process.

Remove the mIcroSD card, then try turning it on. What happens?

18. MadonnaProject
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2006
    Without the mIcroSD and with the card it boots into a black screen. The same thing happens when holding LB+RB+up+A (recovery mode).

19. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
  20. MadonnaProject
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2006
    Hey, tried that, no joy. Should I be pressing any buttons? Is there a guide on what button combinations to press when various errors occur?