• Replies 53,797
  • Likes 43

79TAKid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed rxtools and everything at the end of December. Been playing backups and everything fine, but I am still on EmuNand 10.3.0-28U. I just downloaded the latest rxtools "rxTools_2016-03-12T20-38-04"

Am I safe to update my emunand to 10.7 (or whatever the latest O3DS version is)? Sorry if this is easy info to find, still searching for an answer.

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
I installed rxtools and everything at the end of December. Been playing backups and everything fine, but I am still on EmuNand 10.3.0-28U. I just downloaded the latest rxtools "rxTools_2016-03-12T20-38-04"

Am I safe to update my emunand to 10.7 (or whatever the latest O3DS version is)? Sorry if this is easy info to find, still searching for an answer.
Yes, it is safe from both your previous rxtools and the new one.

If you are still not sure you can dump a backup of your emunand

Last edited by Arubaro,

79TAKid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it is safe from both your previous rxtools and the new one.

If you are still not sure you can dump a backup of your emunand

Thanks! That worked, now on 10.7.0-32U :)

Now to install MenuHax or whatever so I dont have to boot from web browser haha

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks! That worked, now on 10.7.0-32U :)

Now to install MenuHax or whatever so I dont have to boot from web browser haha
Then you just need to install menuhax on your sysnand and run emunand from homebrew, running rxtools.3dsx

You could even set up coldboot

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
So, do I need to downgrade from 10.7 to x.xx to be able to get Homebrew? complete and utter NOOB when it comes to 3ds
If homebrew is the only thing you want, you can have it just buying a cubic ninja or an ocarina of time + powersaves or another hacked 3ds.

If what you want is to "play free games", you need the above and besides, downgrade to 9.2

Reactions: KillerSmurf10

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to transfer my physical game's save file to a digital version? I want to extract my game's save file using a powersaves device and use that save file for a digital copy. Is there a program I could use to insert save files?

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible to transfer my physical game's save file to a digital version? I want to extract my game's save file using a powersaves device and use that save file for a digital copy. Is there a program I could use to insert save files?
If you have access to homebrew, you could try this

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Whatever you do, your new sd card will be formated, so you can continue without starter.bin because after that you will paste back the backup of your old sd, so doesn't mater

Thanks for your help! Everything went well.

However everything is remarkably slow now. I went from a class 2 SanDisk 8gb to a class 4 Sony 16gb. I would think a class 4 would be faster than a class 2, but maybe Sony is a crappy brand.

I've ordered a class 10 SanDisk, so hopefully that will help some. :/

AKA-Link77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sup guys.
I was in the process of downgrading my N3DS but when I got to the part where the sysupdater app installs the CIAs, it crashed and said "An error has occurred. Please power off...".
It only booted to black but I was able to just remove the SD card and boot back up like normal but I'm worried...
is the error interruption normal? I'm scared that if I attempt to downgrade a another console It may really brick it.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your help! Everything went well.

However everything is remarkably slow now. I went from a class 2 SanDisk 8gb to a class 4 Sony 16gb. I would think a class 4 would be faster than a class 2, but maybe Sony is a crappy brand.

I've ordered a class 10 SanDisk, so hopefully that will help some. :/
the class of your micro SD card does not matter the problem is that the 3ds has its own limitations in the way it reads the files and as such your SD card class really wont fix anything the bigger the memory card you get the slower the load time will be period

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sup guys.
I was in the process of downgrading my N3DS but when I got to the part where the sysupdater app installs the CIAs, it crashed and said "An error has occurred. Please power off...".
It only booted to black but I was able to just remove the SD card and boot back up like normal but I'm worried...
is the error interruption normal? I'm scared that if I attempt to downgrade a another console It may really brick it.
No. It is definitely not normal. Right now you have what's called "frankenfirmware" something commonly gotten through a failed downgrade. Depending on where it failed, you may be able to fix the problem. If you can get back to the hb menu, try downgrading again (I know it's scary, but frankenfirmware screws stuff up and you don't want that).

Last edited by Just Passing By,
Reactions: AKA-Link77

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the class of your micro SD card does not matter the problem is that the 3ds has its own limitations in the way it reads the files and as such your SD card class really wont fix anything the bigger the memory card you get the slower the load time will be period
Yea... But class 2 and class 4 nowadays? How old are these cards? If you are using emunand than yea, that is your problem. Class 10 bare minimum for optimal performance

Reactions: exangel

Squirtle95IT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, too many replies to read ;)
I have recently bought a new nintendo 3ds and surprisingly it has still the 9.0 firmware (european version). What can I do in order to play rom games on my console, avoiding bricks and buying flashcarts (which are very expensive here and resellers aren't so trustworthy)?
I saw something about converting games into the .cia format, but is that necessary and or convenient?
Finally, I've the 9.0 fw, do I have to downgrade?
Thanks

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, too many replies to read ;)
I have recently bought a new nintendo 3ds and surprisingly it has still the 9.0 firmware (european version). What can I do in order to play rom games on my console, avoiding bricks and buying flashcarts (which are very expensive here and resellers aren't so trustworthy)?
I saw something about converting games into the .cia format, but is that necessary and or convenient?
Finally, I've the 9.0 fw, do I have to downgrade?
Thanks
No. It's not necessary to convert games to the .cia format because there are "certain" sites that provide you with games as cias. Of course, we can't link that but I'll help you find the correct site (I guess doing it this way is ok source in case someone gets on my back about it): http://bfy.tw/3Xqo
Click the top link.

And no. You don't need to downgrade. Just install a cfw (tutorial) and you're good.

Squirtle95IT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks ;)
What if I already have a game in the 3dz format? First of all, what does that mean (I thought that should be .3ds with the S not Z)?
Furthermore, do I risk to be banned from online?

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks ;)
What if I already have a game in the 3dz format? First of all, what does that mean (I thought that should be .3ds with the S not Z)?
Furthermore, do I risk to be banned from online?
I'm not too knowledgeable about flashcarts, but I'm pretty sure the .3ds/z formats can only be run through Gateway or Sky3ds, but can't be installed to your home menu like cias can.
With cias, I don't think there's ever been a proven ban by playing online UNLESS they were playing with cheats or something that'd send a red flag. With flashcarts, you have to patch the public headers or something (meaning if you don't a ban may happen). I'm not the one to talk to about flashcarts though. Someone else could give you a better answer.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not too knowledgeable about flashcarts, but I'm pretty sure the .3ds/z formats can only be run through Gateway or Sky3ds, but can't be installed to your home menu like cias can.
With cias, I don't think there's ever been a proven ban by playing online UNLESS they were playing with cheats or something that'd send a red flag. With flashcarts, you have to patch the public headers or something (meaning if you don't a ban may happen). I'm not the one to talk to about flashcarts though. Someone else could give you a better answer.
naw son you got this . . . although you did not truly answer the (first) question the z in .3dz is to represent its compressed trimmed (but still loadable) status

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: Just Passing By

Squirtle95IT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks. I'm looking forward to download directy the cia file, or maybe converting the format to cia one. The tutorial you linked me... how much time will it require? A couple of hours?

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I'm looking forward to download directy the cia file, or maybe converting the format to cia one. The tutorial you linked me... how much time will it require? A couple of hours?
Yeah a few hours sounds just right.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

naw son you got this . . . although you did not truly answer the (first) question the z in .3dz is to represent its compressed trimmed (but still loadable) status
Oh ok. Thanks for the clarification! So why are there two formats? Do you know? If a .3dz is more "trimmed" why would we use a .3ds?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUpG6mG9x2Y