• Views 4,526,554
  • Replies 53,797
  • Likes 43

Kenneth196

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New 3ds does not force an update. Acts just like the old 3ds.

Also, I keep hearing people talk about CIA files but I don't see a guide anywhere. I would've thought there'd be a sticky for something like that. Can anybody point me to one?

Edit: By guide I mean a guide to set up the 3ds (I have the old XL) to be able to use cia files.

For a tutorial on .cia files, I would recommend going here - http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/286487-3DS-N3DS-Gateway-Ultra-Guide & reading at section "Installing a .cia file"

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does New 3DS force updates in the background, or am I OK to leave it on standby?
New 3ds does not force an update. Acts just like the old 3ds.

Also, I keep hearing people talk about CIA files but I don't see a guide anywhere. I would've thought there'd be a sticky for something like that. Can anybody point me to one?

Edit: By guide I mean a guide to set up the 3ds (I have the old XL) to be able to use cia files.
Gateway has guide for set up on their download page written by SonyUSA as well.

Regarding updates you are correct Nintendo doesn't force you to update but they try their hardest by downloading it onto your system and then nagging you everyday. If you have a connection enabled and you are in sleep mode you will get it very quickly. Also Nintendo zones and ATT hotspots will download it on you even if you do not have a connection set up. The only way to prevent it is to shut off wireless communications on the home menu or switch on o3DS.
Is there any way to update the browser without a flashcart? I have a version 4.1 3ds that gives an "The internet browser will be available once you update your system via internet" when I open the browser.

Im trying to hack the 3ds without a flashcart (I have no access to any) but the browser wont open for me to access the Gateway site.
Maybe with a CFW I am really not sure.

Tennin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Not sure if I'm right here with my question, but here goes: Can I just start a thread in this board section asking if someone with a Gateway card can help me?

I essentially want someone to backup the savegame of my SSB cartridge. I'd like to gift the game to a friend, but somehow still don't want to lose all the progress, just in case. I'm living in germany.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if I'm right here with my question, but here goes: Can I just start a thread in this board section asking if someone with a Gateway card can help me?

I essentially want someone to backup the savegame of my SSB cartridge. I'd like to gift the game to a friend, but somehow still don't want to lose all the progress, just in case. I'm living in germany.
You could, the worst that can happen is a mod would close it. I assume this would require mailing the cart to someone. You may never see it again.

Tennin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You could, the worst that can happen is a mod would close it. I assume this would require mailing the cart to someone. You may never see it again.
Well, didn't want to make a thread if it's not allowed. ^_^ And yeah, there's a risk, that's why I would prefer if someone with many posts here could reply or message me.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really stumped right now... I just bought a game so that I could update my 3ds to ver 4.1 from 1.1, but the browser still didn't work.

If i have access to any decent flashcart, this would br easy, but sadly I dont.
PM cearp and ask him nicely. He should be around soon.

imreedeer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I finally updated my emunand to 9.7 :D, now, what do I need to be able to acces eshop?
I think a read some time ago that I need to separate Nands before accesing Eshop (but i dont think I wrote my account info written somewhere, and I understand that you need this info D: )

I want to download the pokemon X updates to be able to play with friends (I have the retail cartridge, but i cant download the update in my 9.2 sysnand obviously).

I also want to download the CODENAME STEAM update, but i dont know if i can without the retail game.

Edit: Old 3ds XL

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I'm really stumped right now... I just bought a game so that I could update my 3ds to ver 4.1 from 1.1, but the browser still didn't work.
PM cearp and ask him nicely. He should be around soon.

it's $3 a PM now (if you want me to reply within 24 hours)

the browser still does not work because cart game updates do not update the browser, sorry.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally updated my emunand to 9.7 :D, now, what do I need to be able to acces eshop?
I think a read some time ago that I need to separate Nands before accesing Eshop (but i dont think I wrote my account info written somewhere, and I understand that you need this info D: )

I want to download the pokemon X updates to be able to play with friends (I have the retail cartridge, but i cant download the update in my 9.2 sysnand obviously).

I also want to download the CODENAME STEAM update, but i dont know if i can without the retail game.

Edit: Old 3ds XL
If you are on 9.7 emunand all you need is to launch the icon and your log in info. I am sure there is some password recovery protocol.

Just search on "updates" and download any that you think you might need in the foreseeable future. You didn't need to own the game. You never know when 9.8 is going to come out. It was 3 days between 9.3 and 9.4. :)

I finally got my Gateway today. Is this still a good and/or the best guide to get me started? I haven't seen any replies or anything newer I should be aware of?

I have:
a. a new 3ds with 9.0
b. gateway
c. cubic ninja
d. 64 and 16 GB microSD cards
That one looks good. The only new thing is the 3.2 GW launcher and there is a thread on that. Meh, I might give it a try if I get bored but I am fine with cubic Ninja. I have cases for my consoles to keep my a cable and my r4 in anyway. Will probably try it on at least one system just so I can say I did it. :)

Get your system setup and have some fun with it, hang out here and learn the ropes and then mess with it when when you feel the need.

it's $3 a PM now (if you want me to reply within 24 hours)

the browser still does not work because cart game updates do not update the browser, sorry.

What is the current play coin exchange rate?

JM47

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I’ve become pretty out of the loop over the past year. I’ve got a 3ds version 4.4.0-4U and when I check the Gateway version it says GW3D 4.4.0 – 4U. At this point what is the best method for me to update and get caught up? I’m not worried about losing save files but I don’t want to inadvertently update too far.

Thanks.

vinnyboiler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi I have a 3DS with a couple of CIA's installed on the system menu, what is the best way of getting rid of them without either a system restore or a bricked console? I backed up the NAND just in case anything goes wrong.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my gateway, how do I know what firmware is on it?

Fresh N3DS.
Bottom right comer in system settings.

Does anyone have a list of all shortcuts inside and when entering the GW menu? Thanks.
Shortcuts to what ?

Hi I have a 3DS with a couple of CIA's installed on the system menu, what is the best way of getting rid of them without either a system restore or a bricked console? I backed up the NAND just in case anything goes wrong.
I would use the same tool you used to install them.
Can I hack my 3DS without buying a flashcart?
Depending on what you want to do, yes. Play new games, no.

I’ve become pretty out of the loop over the past year. I’ve got a 3ds version 4.4.0-4U and when I check the Gateway version it says GW3D 4.4.0 – 4U. At this point what is the best method for me to update and get caught up? I’m not worried about losing save files but I don’t want to inadvertently update too far.

Thanks.
Don't do anything until you are sure of the path. The problem is the browser cannot be updated from cart. Also taking Emunand straight from 4.x to 9.x can have problems. You are going to need to spend a lot of time reading up here on all the latest happenings.

So there's no other way but to buy a flashcart to hack my 3ds?
Do you think people would buy them if they didn't have to?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1