Hardware 3DS NAND Hardmod Restore

Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So earlier this year, I had Avalynn hardmod my 3DS to restore the firmware in case it got updated.. Sure enough, my 6 year old nephew accidentally updated it. Only problem is, I cannot find the cord/adapter Avalynn sent me in order to hook the 3DS up to the computer and restore it.

Where can I get one of these? It was a Mini-USB plug to an SD card. Also I'm not even sure how to restore it, I have the NAND.bin but is there a specific program I use..?

D

Deleted-236924

You use Win32diskimager to write the NAND.bin to the 3DS.
It'll ask you to format the disk once you plug it in but if you do it'll just erase the nand. So say No when it asks, and then just write the nand backup with win32diskimager

Said cable is a custom-made cable and I don't think they could be found anywhere. You have to get a mini USB cable and modify it to solder the wires to certain specific pins on a microSD to SD adapter. Someone else may be able to point you to a guide on making your own (requires fairly precise soldering), or maybe someone sells them here.

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since you'll need to make your own cable... Here's some info you may need
So let's take a quick look at a micro USB port shall we?
micro_usb.jpg

Alright so what the heck is this do these little 2 or 3 work letters mean Ava? Glad you asked lol.
1. VCC is the Positive supply voltage with a potential measured from GND in this case, 5V
2. D- is Used for transmitting data packets back and forward
3. D+ is Used for receiving data packets back and forward
4. ID is only really used in OTG cables to let them host device know it's host, the microUSB end, while the other device is slave.
5. GND or ground is the at point with zero voltage potential.

The need for two Data lines allows for full duplex of sending and receiving at the same time. Vcc is at 5V while the data lines have a max of 3.6V, again this is measured between that mine and GND.

Alright enough about that, what about my 3DS??
Well a lot of people that started using this would just chop up a standard cable, these do NOT use the ID pin, heck they aren't even connected. Knowing this you are left with VCC / D- / D+ / GND, well that 4 pins and the 3DS only needs 4 pins for the eMMC right? great....

Now here is the hazard, since people just chop up a standard USB cable that means that Vcc will be used on the eMMC, and well THAT is the problem, cause the eMMC is NOT 5v tolerant at most it can handle 3.6V as that is highest the pins can handle any more and it becomes destructive.

So my simple solution is why the heck don't we just use the ID pin and stop chopping cable but make our own? We are already buying female USB heads with all 5 pins, let's make use of it. Alright so what I do is use ID for DAT0 on the eMMC, D+ for CMD, and D- for CLK, GND is still GND. Great that leave Vcc, the 5V potential outta the picture. But wait we can then use this to charge the system since the system takes in 4.5 to 5.5 V to charge, and we know this because while it says 4.7 on the charger a lot of stores sell 3DS USB charging cables.

Alright so the switch I like to add is two fold, it's so you can plug a normal cable in and it won't affect the 3DS or the computer, because it attaches the two USB data cables together while leaving the 3DS eMMC alone. flip the switch the other way and now you can plug in your SD adapter to read and write the eMMC.

But wait Ava! what if I accidentally plug in a normal cable but forget to switch it back to charge mode? Well don't forget and don't do that!! Buuut on the off chance that you do, I've done this before on purpose as a test with my N3DS, computer USB ports just error out and the 3DS errors out, unplug it and turn it back off then on and it should be fine, why is this? because the USB data lines do not exceed 3.6 V which means they will not be destructive towards the 3DS eMMD.

Since you bought it from Avalynn, She detailed her micro usb connector pinout in there... (i made it red)

Anyway, you'll either need to make your own... Or pay someone to make one for you
The red highlighting is how she probably wired her connector.. You'll essentially need to make the same thing..
You can use an SD adapter (which is small and difficult to solder to if you don't have experience, or something like this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11468 and just solder to the nice holes on that thing...

Last edited by LameNobody,
Reactions: Haloman800

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you'll need to make your own cable... Here's some info you may need

Since you bought it from Avalynn, She detailed her micro usb connector pinout in there... (i made it red)

Anyway, you'll either need to make your own... Or pay someone to make one for you
The red highlighting is how she probably wired her connector.. You'll essentially need to make the same thing..
You can use an SD adapter (which is small and difficult to solder to if you don't have experience, or something like this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11468 and just solder to the nice holes on that thing...
He will need a 5 wire micro USB cable for that pinout to work. Most USB cables are 4 wires, and do not use ID.

Reactions: LameNobody

Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I bought a custom cable from LameNobody, however when I plug it up to my PC and boot the 3DS, nothing happens. How do I get it to recognize?

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a custom cable which plugs into the SD slot. It's not a normal microSD cable.
Edit: I get this error message
oWw7TSb.jpg
That looks about right, actually. While it's hanging on that screen, your computer should ask you if you want to format your 3DS, to which you should say NO.

If it's not doing anything at all, you need to get yourself one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Anker®-Reader-RS-MMC-Support-Warranty/dp/B006T9B6R2

Use WinDisk32Imager to "Read" the drive and let it dump your NAND.bin. Report the filesize of the NAND.bin you dumped before you attempt to write anything to the NAND: you need to make sure the connection is truly functional. (By the way, what model is that 3DS? XL, N3DS, O3DS, 2DS, etc)

Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That looks about right, actually. While it's hanging on that screen, your computer should ask you if you want to format your 3DS, to which you should say NO.

If it's not doing anything at all, you need to get yourself one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Anker®-Reader-RS-MMC-Support-Warranty/dp/B006T9B6R2

Use WinDisk32Imager to "Read" the drive and let it dump your NAND.bin. Report the filesize of the NAND.bin you dumped before you attempt to write anything to the NAND: you need to make sure the connection is truly functional. (By the way, what model is that 3DS? XL, N3DS, O3DS, 2DS, etc)
I bought one of those card readers, I'll report back once it comes in.

Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally came in.... Two drives appear, windows loads, then they disappear, windows loads, etc. This happens over and over & win32disk imager doesn't detect the drives.

3P3H8Dr.png

What can I do?

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try testing it out on a different computer or clean out the connection with some rubbing alcohol (not too much, use a cottonswab or something and dab it a little)

Try turning on the 3ds after you've plugged the connection into the adapter, with the adapter connected to the computer USB port.

My next guess is that your wires don't line up with the adapter you bought. You'd probably have to open up the 3DS and the adapter to ensure all the pins match up correctly, but that might be dangerous if you haven't messed with it before.

EDIT: Actually, as nice as it would be to get your hardmod working, you could also try downgrading from your current firmware using the sysupdater downgrading method. Just know that you only have one chance to do it, or you'll have to resort back to getting a working hardmod.

Last edited by CrispyYoshi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs