Hacking 3DS Nand Downgrade Test Questions

Parismessios3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Hello, I was between buying Pokemon Y in October or buying Gateway 3DS. I have decided to buy a 3DS flash cart (Gateway 3DS or other) however I will wait until somebody enables homebrew (which is the Gateway 3DS team's long term plan). So I will buy Pokemon Y in October and it will, most likely, require a system update. My 3DS firmware is really old, and most probably is under 4.5 (I don't have it with me to check, but is the latest firmware in which acekard 2i is working). What I want is to dump my 3DS NAND so I can test if downgrading is working (I have read that is working, but I want to try it myself).
My plan is to dump the current firmware's NAND and then update my 3DS firmware to 6.2. After that I will try to revert my 3DS to its current firmware. If my experiment is successful I will make a guide about downgrading the 3DS.

Before beginning my experiment, I have two questions:
1. Does anybody know if the 360 NAND flashers for Xbox 360 will work for the 3DS.
2. Does anybody know if is there any way to validate the 3DS NAND file?

Thank you

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
but take in mind that at there are no anti downgrading measures at the moment, I wouldnt be surprised when nintendo add them in a newer firmware.

KierDran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to pull the NAND and the key, decrypt the NAND, pull the new 3DS crypt key, encrypt and then flash it?

Kontributor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I was between buying Pokemon Y in October or buying Gateway 3DS. I have decided to buy a 3DS flash cart (Gateway 3DS or other) however I will wait until somebody enables homebrew (which is the Gateway 3DS team's long term plan). So I will buy Pokemon Y in October and it will, most likely, require a system update. My 3DS firmware is really old, and most probably is under 4.5 (I don't have it with me to check, but is the latest firmware in which acekard 2i is working). What I want is to dump my 3DS NAND so I can test if downgrading is working (I have read that is working, but I want to try it myself).
My plan is to dump the current firmware's NAND and then update my 3DS firmware to 6.2. After that I will try to revert my 3DS to its current firmware. If my experiment is successful I will make a guide about downgrading the 3DS.

Before beginning my experiment, I have two questions:
1. Does anybody know if the 360 NAND flashers for Xbox 360 will work for the 3DS.
2. Does anybody know if is there any way to validate the 3DS NAND file?

Thank you

Did you ever do the experiment?

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you ever do the experiment?

Did it again man. Every post in this thread is telling him it can't be done, with explanations as to why.
You can only downgrade if you already made a back up of a previous version. It has to be from the same 3DS you're trying to downgrade it with.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
From the looks of the first post that's exactly what he was planning........in which case it would of worked fine, if you have your valid 4.x NAND dump you can downgrade and upgrade as much as you like

Reactions: Kontributor

Kontributor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did it again man. Every post in this thread is telling him it can't be done, with explanations as to why.
You can only downgrade if you already made a back up of a previous version. It has to be from the same 3DS you're trying to downgrade it with.

I can't even count how many times I read in this forum that you can only downgrade to 4.5.0 if you have a NAND backup of 4.5.0. But not once have I read how to do it. Every lead has been a dead end. People keep talking but no one wants to follow through and show how to do it, or at the least, provide a link to a guide. Or did I miss something?

EDIT:
I forgot to mention, the only answers I've gotten was downgrading via hardware mod. When people say you can go back to 4.5.0 as long as you have a NAND backup, I was under the impression that downgrading was possible via software/gateway. My goal was to update firmware => download update for Pokemon X => play online while I wait for Gateway to fix eShop for EmeNAND. Thanks!​

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I can't even count how many times I read in this forum that you can only downgrade to 4.5.0 if you have a NAND backup of 4.5.0. But not once have I read how to do it. Every lead has been a dead end. People keep talking but no one wants to follow through and show how to do it, or at the least, provide a link to a guide. Or did I miss something?

Just write it back with the same software you backed it up.
There should be an option.

(don't quote me on it, not in the 3DS scene)

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a NAND hardware mod that involves soldering directly to your 3ds motherboard. No way to do it with software at all.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

see the second post in this thread?
1. No.
2. Read it a couple times, hash it, if the hash is the same your read was most likely successful. Upgrade, write back your backup and you'll know for sure.

Everything you need to know is in this thread: http://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds-xl.350668/
and to clarify the nand dump has to be from the 3DS you want to downgrade.....you cant just use a random dump from someone else

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And that must of been a lot of reading since you are a new member as of thursday (2 days ago). And since it's been clearly stated in this thread, I'm guessing you didn't do ANY reading at all.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

First you need to solder to your 3DS/XL to an SD card with these pics as reference (note that you can use a USB port or other 4 pin port so you do not have to solder to the motherboard every time):
3DS XL:
xEk44xf.jpg

Original 3DS:
CTR_NAND_pinout.png

Then you use win32diskimager to read/write to it. Remember never to format the disk when windows prompts it.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Oh sure, I won't quote you. ^ But why give an answer without knowing it/having first-hand experience?
he was trying to help.....and he was correct, backup your nand with win32diskimager.......and restore your nand with win32diskimager, you shouldn't try ague with someone who is trying to help....especially if you don't know yourself

Reactions: DinohScene

Kontributor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And that must of been a lot of reading since you are a new member as of thursday (2 days ago). And since it's been clearly stated in this thread, I'm guessing you didn't do ANY reading at all.

I did plenty reading. I forgot to mention, the only answers I've gotten was downgrading via hardware mod. When people say you can go back to 4.5.0 as long as you have a NAND backup, I was under the impression that downgrading was possible via software/gateway. My goal was to update firmware => download update for Pokemon X => play online while I wait for Gateway to fix eShop for EmeNAND. Thanks!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I did plenty reading. I forgot to mention, the only answers I've gotten was downgrading via hardware mod. When people say you can go back to 4.5.0 as long as you have a NAND backup, I was under the impression that downgrading was possible via software/gateway. My goal was to update firmware => download update for Pokemon X => play online while I wait for Gateway to fix eShop for EmeNAND. Thanks!
you should be more clear then, hardware mod is the only way to downgrade....if there was a nice simple nand restore app i'm sure everyone would be using it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or more like...