Hacking 3DS hacking questions

fishy31

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From what I've gathered from this forum over the past few days is that out of the two most popular cards the DSTwo is the much superior flash cart as opposed to the cheaper R4i Gold. However my 3DS hasn't been updated as of yet, so I really don't see the point in using the best flash cart for the most recent firmware. I was thinking of playing DS games on the R4i gold, since the DSTwo is WAY too expensive for me being a poor college student (60$). So my questions are...

- Will the newer 3DS games (or the ones already out) ask for firmware updates before loading?

- If I want to play a 3DS game already installed on my SD card will I need to have the latest firmware update?

Also I'm already aware I need the latest firmware update to use the eshop, the internet, and probably to play the game wirelessly.

EDIT: Firmware Ver. 4.2.0-9U. And yes I know I can't dl 3DS games.

Thanks!

fishy31

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As I've said I browsed these forums so I'm already aware of that lol. I meant will the game I PURCHASED ask me to update. Since I've heard Wii games did this on hacked Wii's.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some game will want you to update eventually even if the games you get right now don't.

So long as you update your flashcart before updating the 3DS or have a DS/DSlite, you won't be blocked out. Even with DSTwo this is the recommended way to update rather than updating the 3DS first. Of course this assumes the flashcart you get is still being updated.

Here's a list of what runs on the most recent 3DS firmware http://pongupdates.wordpress.com/flashcards-working-on-3ds/

If the card you're thinking of is on there, go for it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/t290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get
No, only get the carts there, they've proven to not abandon carts just an update or two after release... unlike carts like the R4-SDHC series, which regularly produce carts with not enough internal storage so that people need to buy newer models every so often.

fishy31

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I took a risk and decided to buy the DSTwo since I need something to play GBA roms since I lost my itouch (before I got to finish ANY games). Does anybody know how reliable/long the Honk Kong express mail thing is? It said 12-16 business days so it'll probably arrive in 3 weeks.

The only thing that sucks is nobody's willing to buy it for me on paypal so I have to buy a prepaid visa... Which is like $55 and I still have to pay $20 for the shipping when it arrives... So in total I have to pay $75 for something that's ONLY $40 LOL... I really hope it works... a lot of people with the 3DS XL say they're having problems...

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I took a risk and decided to buy the DSTwo since I need something to play GBA roms since I lost my itouch (before I got to finish ANY games). Does anybody know how reliable/long the Honk Kong express mail thing is? It said 12-16 business days so it'll probably arrive in 3 weeks.

The only thing that sucks is nobody's willing to buy it for me on paypal so I have to buy a prepaid visa... Which is like $55 and I still have to pay $20 for the shipping when it arrives... So in total I have to pay $75 for something that's ONLY $40 LOL... I really hope it works... a lot of people with the 3DS XL say they're having problems...
If your going to rely on the DSTwo's GBA emulation, you might want to be prepared that it is not all that great performance wise, say compared to a $40 PSP, lol. Rydian can tell you all about that.

fishy31

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If your going to rely on the DSTwo's GBA emulation, you might want to be prepared that it is not all that great performance wise, say compared to a $40 PSP, lol. Rydian can tell you all about that.

well actually what I forgot to mention was the main reason I chose the DSTwo since it seems like the most reliable option. And I think i'd rather get another itouch for gba emulation since I tried it once and gba games on retina looks really really good, that and I want to play some ios games too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-