ROM Hack 3DS Games Online Headers

99%Invisible

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys,
Sorry for starting a new thread, I'm probably messing up your forums and all, and I know you guys must be sick of answering questions on this topic. But please, help a noob out.

I have 2 3DS' both on 10.3 with menuhax running on them. I'm currently waiting till the 22nd for Gateways Time Machine thingy, which should allow me to use Gateway. ( I have 2 Gateway cards Btw, one for each 3DS) Though as far as I'm aware Gateways only providing a simpler method?

What I want to do is have Pokemon X and Y running on both machines so me and my brother can play these games together. It will only be local play but is a header still needed? I have other cartridges that I can rip private headers from.

That's the background info just in case y'all need it here are the actual questions-

1. Do you need headers to play local play?
2. Are public headers safe?
3. Can I use the same private header for all my games?
4. As far as everyone's aware Gateway are providing a downgrade system not actual support for 10.3?
5. Anyone got noob friendly guild to applying headers to games?

Thanks for any help guys, and SORRY again if this is in the wrong section, or this is a repetitive post. I probably shouldn't have started a whole thread for this but I couldn't find the specific answers I was looking for. Also in the threads for "Ask Noob Q's Here!" I wasn't getting replies so...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
@99%Invisible
1. Not as far as I know.
2. No, you'll most likely get temp banned.
3. Yes.
4. This is a bit unclear right now. It seems like they may be planning to use ntrcardhax to support 10.3 directly. They haven't specifically said that their 10.3 support is a downgrade method, but they haven't said anything to the contrary either.
5. Use Gateway ROM patcher, it's pretty simple.

Reactions: cvskid

Thelostrune

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
But it would be still nice to get a conclusive answer on the Local Play? Anyone?
I don't know what gets logged, but I'm pretty sure because it's offline that you wouldn't need a private header for that.
If headers do get logged and sent to Nintendo, then I'm not the one to be answering, but would also like to know about this anyway.

nickwhit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could always go A9LH master race.. and use CIAs.
Then you wouldnt have to worry about headers at all.
Or have to deal with the Gatewait.

99%Invisible

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You could always go A9LH master race.. and use CIAs.
Then you wouldnt have to worry about headers at all.
Or have to deal with the Gatewait.

I'm afraid you don't realise just how Noob I really am, that sounds complicated and frustrating, once I have these games working online Gateway will do everything I need, no need to confuse my brain more with A9LH and CIAs. But then didn't gateway say something about A9LH support anyway so ill just use that

nickwhit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm afraid you don't realise just how Noob I really am, that sounds complicated and frustrating, once I have these games working online Gateway will do everything I need, no need to confuse my brain more with A9LH and CIAs. But then didn't gateway say something about A9LH support anyway so ill just use that
Its really not that complicated. Theres a guide and everything.
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
And it would eliminate any wait or paranoia towards headers/playing online.
No need to stay bound to GW just because you spent the money already.

99%Invisible

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Its really not that complicated. Theres a guide and everything.
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
And it would eliminate any wait or paranoia towards headers/playing online.
No need to stay bound to GW just because you spent the money already.

Ok to you that might not be complicated but to me.... Thanks for the suggestion but scanning that is enough for me to know its not for me. Gateway should provide everything I need within the week... or at least soon(tm)

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok to you that might not be complicated but to me.... Thanks for the suggestion but scanning that is enough for me to know its not for me. Gateway should provide everything I need within the week... or at least soon(tm)
The CFW Luma3ds is better thn gate way and easier to install. Just put luma3ds.3dsx in the 3ds folder and luma3ds.dat out the root of the sd card. No long processes needed. Then if you feel ready you can easily move up to A9LH like how i did.

D

Deleted User

I did it while I was extremely nervous, and when I'm like that I make really dumb mistakes really easily, yet I was fine.

nickwhit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think thats the problem people have, is they scan it.. see its a larger tutorial theyre used to, and immediately lose faith in themselves.
If you can read, it is noob and brick proof. Period. Only reason not to upgrade is dyslexia or stubbornness at this point.

Reactions: Deleted User

99%Invisible

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The CFW Luma3ds is better thn gate way and easier to install. Just put luma3ds.3dsx in the 3ds folder and luma3ds.dat out the root of the sd card. No long processes needed. Then if you feel ready you can easily move up to A9LH like how i did.

That does seem about my level. And then where do I put the games. Also In what format (.3ds, .3dz, etc...)

I think thats the problem people have, is they scan it.. see its a larger tutorial theyre used to, and immediately lose faith in themselves.
If you can read, it is noob and brick proof. Period. Only reason not to upgrade is dyslexia or stubbornness at this point.

But to me, its just not worth the time. ALL i want to do is play 3ds games online, dont care about cheats or "Fast boot times" SO is Luma3DS all I need?

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That does seem about my level. And then where do I put the games. Also In what format (.3ds, .3dz, etc...)

But to me, its just not worth the time. ALL i want to do is play 3ds games online, dont care about cheats or "Fast boot times" SO is Luma3DS all I need?
With menuhax and .3ds/3dz you will need to worry about boot rates and headers for online.
With CIAs+A9LH that's not a problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol