OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
http://kotaku.com/5578822/3ds-games-will-l...ey-ditch-the-3d

QUOTE said:
According to "developers working on the system", games running on the Nintendo 3DS can look (and perform) even better than those we've seen on one condition: they lose the 3D.

That's what a report on IGN says, as developers "could theoretically use the extra processing power for additional texture passes and more complex object and environment geometry, or even up a framerate from 30 frames per second to 60".

To be honest, I hadn't even considered that. But they're right: it takes processing power to render the images in 3D, since they're essentially creating the same image twice (one for each eye), so freeing that up should indeed result in better-looking games with more stuff on-screen.

Whether a developer or publisher would risk bypassing the system's main selling point is up for debate, but surely somebody is willing to take a chance considering the potential benefits. I know I'd trade 3D in a lot of games for smoother performance and better graphics.

Ooo looks like we haven't seen anything yet what the 3DS is capable of, another reason why I'm looking forward to this machine
tongue.gif

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
if they loose the 3D on some games it will make the 3DS preform in the range of the strong consoles.
intresting, they could also make the game work in a way that if the 3D is turned off it uses the processing power to increase the preformance.

DeviousTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hardkaare said:
Why not just turn it off?

Well if the game was developed to play in 3D, then it wouldn't look any better if you turned the 3D off and played it regularly, but if the game was developed without 3D in mind, the developers could add more textures because they wouldn't have to worry about making the game 3D (which requires more processing power, therefore less graphics). I don't think the devs could make a 3DS game that you could just change graphics while playing (like a PC game), but I could be wrong.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I shall now act surprised at this shocking revelation.

BasTaart-NoShitSherlock.jpg

And the PS3 and X360 could perform even better if the output was 640x480. So what?

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo should release a 3D and a non-3D version of the 3DS. But i just realised, the processor must be incredible if it can manage ps2-like graphics in 3D. If it was all dedicated to normal non-3dness how would it look, like the ps3? (ok I'm exagerating but they have to be really good)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
metamaster said:
Nintendo should release a 3D and a non-3D version of the 3DS. But i just realised, the processor must be incredible if it can manage ps2-like graphics in 3D. If it was all dedicated to normal non-3dness how would it look, like the ps3? (ok I'm exagerating but they have to be really good)

All 3DS models can have the 3D turned on and off for apparently any game (provided the game supports 3D). And what's the point of calling it the "3DS" if it doesn't have 3DS. Besides, some games will use the 3D effects for gameplay aspects, odds are. I'll guess the next WarioWare will.

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Raichy said:
I can't wait for someone to disassemble the 3DS, I'm very curious about what guts it has.

The internals of the 3DS have already been seen, just google it.
A sort of prototype version of the circuit was photographed for the patents, when those photos leaked (about a day before nintendo's E3) it was said that it could feature a analog stick (which turned out to be true)

D

Deleted_171835

I knew it!

SoulSnatcher said:
The increased processing power is for 3D games because displaying two things at once is processor-intensive. For 2D games, wouldn't we be able to dedicate all the processing power to the game allowing to the game to have better graphics.
Or does the game depend on the GPU to render better graphics.

toot.gif

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wouldn't mind having 2D games for 3DS, a GTA would look great if the full processing power was used just for graphics. Something tells me Ubisoft will be the first company to experiment with it.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giratina16 said:
I wouldn't mind having 2D games for 3DS, a GTA would look great if the full processing power was used just for graphics. Something tells me Ubisoft will be the first company to experiment with it.
A GTA for the 3DS would be amazing! Either top view like 1 and 2 or 3rd person like 3 and 4 would work extremely well.

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
giratina16 said:
A GTA for the 3DS would be amazing! Either top view like 1 and 2 or 3rd person like 3 and 4 would work extremely well.
I would like a San Andreas port personally, or a completely new game but with all the features of San Andreas.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giratina16 said:
_Chaz_ said:
giratina16 said:
I would like a San Andreas port personally, or a completely new game but with all the features of San Andreas.
San Andreas was arguably the best GTA in the seires. I loved the character customization aspects, now if only full customization was an option...

Range-TE

Trophies
Website
random-arrow.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Indonesia
_Chaz_ said:
giratina16 said:
_Chaz_ said:
giratina16 said:
San Andreas was arguably the best GTA in the seires. I loved the character customization aspects, now if only full customization was an option...
Create a Sim mode in GTA?

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Range-TE said:
_Chaz_ said:
giratina16 said:
_Chaz_ said:
giratina16 said:
Create a Sim mode in GTA?
Grand Theft Auto The Sims Bustin' Out sounds like a good game.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I'm just gonna copy what I said in another thread about the same subject.

IMO, I have a feeling that if developers had a choice between having the 3D effect or having more processing power to push the visual threshold, they'd choose the latter.

But, maybe they can have both, just not at the same time. If the 3D slider setting can be read by developers as a number that the hardware stores (from 0 to 100, for example, 0 meaning no 3D, 100 meaning complete 3D), the developers can take that, and for each frame, if the value is 0 (meaning the 3D is completely off), they can adjust their graphics engine to do more.

For those that played RE2 on the N64, you probably have an idea of what I'm talking about. For those that haven't, RE2 on the N64 ran at 640x480 until the game had to display a lot of enemies, of which the graphic engine reduced that resolution to 320x240 in real-time to gain some processing power to handle the load, and then reverted back to 640x480 when that heavy load wasn't present.

Then again, if the developers can set the 3D like a switch, either on or off, they can turn it off where they feel 3D wouldn't be the best times to use it, and instead use that power elsewhere.

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
i completely agree with discostew developers could use it in parts of the game that could take advantage of it and turn it off when its not really needed using the extra processing power for improved graphics. I love this idea I'm sure it will become the norm to do this, the initial release 3ds games will all be in full 3d but as the novelty wears of we will find developers opt to turn 3d off completely focusing on creating amazing graphics.

The other place the non 3d will come in useful is emulators I'm sure a n64 and ps1 emulator would be possible if they turned off 3d since it is more powerful than a wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.