3DS game prices as compared to iPhone

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by pachura, Apr 28, 2011.

Apr 28, 2011
  1. pachura
    OP

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Puzzle Bobble Universe 3DS on German Amazon - 39,75 EUR.
    Puzzle Bobble for iPhone on iTunes - 3,99 EUR.

What the hell ?

I have nothing against paying decently for excellent games, involving story, exploration, beautiful graphics, making good use of console's hardware.
    I could also play some simple or sub-par games to kill time - but only if they were priced approprietely (less than 5 EUR). For instance, I could spare a few coins for Steel Diver... but not 44,99 EUR for a game that could be written in 3 weeks ! C'mon, I've seen more sophisticated Flash games (and they were coming for free).

I hope DSiWare will deliver a choice of cheap games for 3DS because this situation is crazy.

2. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    3DS in australia: $328 AUD
    iphone in australia: $859 AUD

are they mad two completely separate products ?

3. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    Your cheap iPhone game come with no packaging, no warranty and almost no support. If someone can really write a 3DS game in 3 weeks should quit his day job and start making shovelware.

iPhone games are always ripoff of another good idea or are repetitive as hell. Not to mention that some game just replace soldier with zombies and pack it as a new game.

Pip'

4. OmegaVesko

Member OmegaVesko GBAtemp Regular

Yugoslavia
    Yeah, the eShop is going to suit you just fine for cheap games like the ones for the iPhone. Heck, that's what it's there for. [​IMG]

5. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    But it's in 3D!
    It's just going for as much money as they can grab.

6. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Just asking... is the eShop going to be like the AppStore/Market to offer games like Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Burger Queen etc.?

7. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Yeah, but it won't have quite as many apps/games as the AppStore/ Market. Angry Birds has been officialy confirmed but I have no idea about Doodle Jump and Burger Queen.

8. chris888222

Singapore
    Burger Queen IMO can be done with the 3DS with ease. The lower screen for preparing all your stuff and the customers on the upper screen. Doodle Jump? Maybe... using the circle pad + 3D or gyroscopic functions without 3D?

Well, I hope to see as much variety. This is one of the reasons why I like the 3DS so much.

9. johnny1233465487

Member johnny1233465487 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    ds games always were expensive compared to apps
    stupid comparison this is --

10. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    .99¢ is asking too much for those titles. They don't deserve to be call games.

Pip'

11. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    But he/she isn't talking about the hardware. Yup, they are very different devices. But if the game is exactly the same, then yeah, there's definitely an issue that can be brought up. Even just looking at DSiWare prices for the same games that can be found on iPhone, there is usually a vast difference in price. Nintendo have been trying to make a public appeal about how mobile devices like iPhone are devaluing software, but once that door's been opened -- which it has -- it's not closing again easily. Games like Bubble Bobble are quick-fix games, and iPhone and similar platforms have done the right thing in terms of pricing and accessibility. That doesn't take anything away from Nintendo's ability to cater to folks wanting more substantial gaming experiences, but if they want to be competitive in this one particular area, they need to embrace the market demand.

12. JoshuaS153

Member JoshuaS153 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Even if it's the same game,
    you'll find yourself playing an expensive version a lot longer than a cheap one.

13. pachura
    OP

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Sell MGS for 40 EUR, but sell Zuma/Puzzle Bobble/Bejeweled/Tetris/Angry Birds/whatever for 5 EUR via eShop.

However, I don't think this will happen as the greedy game studios will prefer to put their games in retail stores exclusively for 10x their real value...

14. Wintrale

Member Wintrale GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Did you really have to pick arguably the worst launch title? If you want to compare a proper game to its iPhone equivalent, you should try Street Fighter. [​IMG]

Either way, Puzzle Bobble Universe's story mode has 88 levels. I'm not even sure the iPhone version has that many levels... [​IMG]

15. chris888222

Singapore
    Street Fighter has soooo much more compared to the iPhone. I bought the iPhone version for US$9.99 but it was lacking in SOOO MUCH compared to the S$49 (about US$37 - 42) 3DS version. Although it was a whopping US$20 - 30 more, but it was well worth the purchase. Same goes for Ridge Racer 3D.

16. morphius

Member morphius The King of the Cosmos

United States
  17. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    [youtube]vxN6ylHH_rM[/youtube]

[youtube]ha7hT45pB0E[/youtube]

I don't know man, without bias intention, do the 3DS one look more appealing?

How much contents the 3DS has vs the iphone?

TBH 3DS version could have a $5-$10 drop. idk