ROM Hack 3ds game how to add english text support?

k7ra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Okey, I fully unpacked game find scripts and edit them.
But in game only Japanese text appear.
Try English script and game see text as blank.

Found font file, convert it to image and there English symbols there...
Need help understanding how it works and what to do

Last edited by k7ra,

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Hmm, you said there are English letters in the font, but if it's a Japanese game it might be that they correspond to fullwidth characters instead of the usual ones. You can generate fullwidth sentences with this vaporwave text generator (use the first output).

Reactions: k7ra

k7ra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hmm, you said there are English letters in the font, but if it's a Japanese game it might be that they correspond to fullwidth characters instead of the usual ones. You can generate fullwidth sentences with this vaporwave text generator (use the first output).
Just WOW, never expected it can be like this.
All work and English appear in game!
Thanks for help, now I know why text not appear in game that I try translate long ago xD

Interesting thing that Island Days have all code in txt, images and voices can be extracted and packed.
If someone really want to port VN, it can be done with this engine (I think)

Attachments

• ID.png
    ID.png
    127.2 KB · Views: 354
Last edited by k7ra,
Reactions: smileyhead

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Just WOW, never expected it can be like this.
All work and English appear in game!
Thanks for help, now I know why text not appear in game that I try translate long ago xD

Interesting thing that Island Days have all code in txt, images and voices can be extracted and packed.
If someone really want to port VN, it can be done with this engine (I think)
I'm glad I could help! I don't know how to edit 3DS fonts, but if you plan on doing a full translation it might be worth looking into, because if you edit those characters to not be fullwidth, you can get more space for text and also make it more readable.

k7ra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I'm glad I could help! I don't know how to edit 3DS fonts, but if you plan on doing a full translation it might be worth looking into, because if you edit those characters to not be fullwidth, you can get more space for text and also make it more readable.
Yeah, I plan to look on it next.
But never worked with fonts before...
On ps3 all font's always was in game, but they was unusable and when I see same thing on 3DS I was interested how it works
Hope I can manage, on 3ds there are tools for it.
But there 1 problem, game use some combination of letters like "br" for break.
And fullwidth "br" not count :)

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
On ps3 all font's always was in game, but they was unusable and when I see same thing on 3DS I was interested how it works
Yeah, special tags like that are always written with normal letters.

Churroboy187

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey do you have the file of this by any chance

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hey do you have the file of this by any chance
You want to know what file corresponds to the font of this game? Because it looks like the OP never edited it, they might have in the time since but it did look like it was going to be a new concept (one can learn a lot in two years though).

Afraid I have not kept up with 3ds ROM hacking to know the formats used (not that games in general tend to use standard font formats -- Nintendo might well have provided one for use but unlike say sound then few devs really ever bother).
That said it is usually fairly obvious from file and directory names for what is the font. What format/approach it uses then varies dramatically, and if it is a Japanese game you might have to do additional work to have it looking nice for languages that are not fixed width (ilj vs WMZ sort of thing, this being variable width fonts/variable font width aka VFW if you go looking in ROM hacking guides). Typically you start out by opening it in a tile editor and seeing if you can get something sensible though -- fonts however being one of the few things to make extensive use of custom tile sizes rather than the usual multiple of 8 x multiple of 8 that other things use (though other things will use something standard for all tiles and then restrict that down on a per character basis with an internal size value).

Churroboy187

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want to know what file corresponds to the font of this game? Because it looks like the OP never edited it, they might have in the time since but it did look like it was going to be a new concept (one can learn a lot in two years though).

Afraid I have not kept up with 3ds ROM hacking to know the formats used (not that games in general tend to use standard font formats -- Nintendo might well have provided one for use but unlike say sound then few devs really ever bother).
That said it is usually fairly obvious from file and directory names for what is the font. What format/approach it uses then varies dramatically, and if it is a Japanese game you might have to do additional work to have it looking nice for languages that are not fixed width (ilj vs WMZ sort of thing, this being variable width fonts/variable font width aka VFW if you go looking in ROM hacking guides). Typically you start out by opening it in a tile editor and seeing if you can get something sensible though -- fonts however being one of the few things to make extensive use of custom tile sizes rather than the usual multiple of 8 x multiple of 8 that other things use (though other things will use something standard for all tiles and then restrict that down on a per character basis with an internal size value).
I meant the overall complete game file that he had created possible

cristian776

Trophies
XP
Country
Moldova
Hey! I m literally 2 years late but how exactly can one get that rar file in tge nintendo 3ds so when you open island days it ll automatically be in english?
Post automatically merged:

Nvm i just realies you have to get ur modded sd card, connect it to your pc, download this rar file, go to the sd card from the pc and then acces luma>titles. In titles you just have to paste this patch and that s it. After i got the sd card fron the pc and put it back. Went to the eshop, got the game in japanese version and after it installed i opened it and it automatically translated into english. I hoped even the controls would be in english but those aren't...but oh well, i guess we can make do with this. Thank you for the translation! Love it! I hope all the game is translated, didn t manage to play too much of it.🤟♥️
Post automatically merged:

I just played like 2 mins of the game and it started being in japanese...only the beginning is in english :((

Last edited by cristian776,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Broken condoms lead to broken hearts, won't someone think of the children!!! Lol +1