Hacking 3DS Flashcarts - News, Updates, and Support Thread

groit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol i mean the latest stable firmware version of the GW3D emuNAND is 7.1 Of course I'm using firmware version 4.1-4.5 regular NAND as well.

And gateway is reliable enough.. Ppl say that it's better than getting a clone(other cards). It DID delete my 99 hour save of link between worlds, but I think its rare and there is a workaround to prevent it.

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
-Second question is : I know that Gateway takes plenty of time to release a new update to support the 8.X firmware version but does any knows something more about it ?
And i don't really understand that Emunand system and that it worked on 7.1 but needed 4.1-4.5 support to run. (look at the post just above mine, i really understood nothing of it. Can anyone explain to me what works/worked/will work ?)

That's all ! Thanks ! :)

As to the 8.x firmware support, let's hope beta testers will share with us as soon as they get an e-mail from the Gateway team. Indeed it's taking some time, but let's hope they come through.

As to firmwares, you have to separate between different versions;
1. 3DS/3DS XL internal firmware. This is the firmware that boots after you completely powered down the unit. For the Gateway exploit to work, this firmware can be no lower than v4.1.0 and no higher than v4.5.0. This has not changed since the Gateway was first introduced, and is the same now for Gateway and all of its clones.

2. Gateway "firmware"; this is actually the Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) that's inside it. As it's "field programmable", Gateway can update it. The current version is v2.2 "Omega".

3. emuNAND (external) firmware. Once you use the emuNAND function of the Gateway, an external copy of the firmware will be created on your 3DS's SD card. This firmware will be used as if it's the internal one, when you go in Gateway mode. The awesome part is that this firmware is updatable (know what you are doing!) over the Internet from Nintendo's servers. Nintendo only offers the latest firmware available, so you have to update as soon as a new firmware is available --> but not before creating a backup with emuNANDTool <--. That way, you can inject an older firmware back on your SD card. Also be aware that any games you bought from the eShop will complicate things.

Rizzorules

"What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Two days ago i asked Gateway how they are going in their next update and what interesting developments they are talking about but they just answered me that the will make an announcement "soon". I really hope their announcement says that they have finished their new update and they will send the beta version in a couple of days.

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two days ago i asked Gateway how they are going in their next update and what interesting developments they are talking about but they just answered me that the will make an announcement "soon". I really hope their announcement says that they have finished their new update and they will send the beta version in a couple of days.
That "soon" of their has been since 2013. We are more likely going to be waiting for a long time.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Do you have their private email or are you talking about one of the fake Facebook/twitter pages set up by resellers to funnel customers to their site by pretending they are actually gateway themselves

Reseller dont have any more info than the public generally except irrelevant stuff like when gateway are sending out new stock to the resellers, anythibg else they say is just a random guess like you get from random users on here

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I reckon by the time Gateway have come out with 8.x support, Nintendo will probably have updated firmware

The problem is the new encryption type; on 7.2 it's just Settings that is really affected but on 8.0 it's more titles, one preventing it from booting. Once GW solves how to do the new encryption, a new firmware shouldn't pose much of a problem -- unless of course they come up with yet another encryption type that works on real hardware but fails on emuNAND, or take specific anti-Gateway measures that will need to be patched.

Kamisanmet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were to purchase a Gateway now, would I be able to make use of it? From what I can gather, I've missed the window for 7.x emuNAND? Would that mean I could only play games up to my 3DS' firmware?

Rizzorules

"What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Do you have their private email or are you talking about one of the fake Facebook/twitter pages set up by resellers to funnel customers to their site by pretending they are actually gateway themselves

Reseller dont have any more info than the public generally except irrelevant stuff like when gateway are sending out new stock to the resellers, anythibg else they say is just a random guess like you get from random users on here

I asked to their private mail, they also said that they moved to a faster server and they lost a lot mails

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gateway only works on 4.x, he will mean 7.1 emunand.....

just to clarify

1. the latest gateway firmware is 2.2
2. this will only run on 3DS consoles with a system firmware of 4.1-4.5
3. that latest version of firmware that worked on gateways emunand was 7.1 for full functionality and 7.2 which was semi-broken 8.x will not work for emunand....there is no way to update to 7.x if you missed the window without having a hardware mod and doing some pissing about

So, just to clarify.. there is definitely no way to update the emuNAND firmware to the one that you want then? even by using an original copy of a game that requires an update to ver. 7.1 firmware?

Edit: laurorual: by the way... Tomodachi Life requires firmware ver 7.1, not ver 7.2+ (for both USA & EUR territories) according to this database which i found (when i wanted to update my 3DS firmware to ver 4.5)

Bigbones87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a gateway 3ds for 3ds xl. I read in the comparison chart that it will support up to 128gb sd card, but it says xc. Does it have to be xc, because those are expensive as heck. Can I just use a regular old 128 sd card, or does it need to be hc, or has to be xc? Thanks for any help on the matter.

laurorual

What are you looking for?
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, just to clarify.. there is definitely no way to update the emuNAND firmware to the one that you want then? even by using an original copy of a game that requires an update to ver. 7.1 firmware?

Edit: laurorual: by the way... Tomodachi Life requires firmware ver 7.1, not ver 7.2+ (for both USA & EUR territories) according to this database which i found (when i wanted to update my 3DS firmware to ver 4.5)
no, when you use a cart with an update, emunand just skip it and run the game. only way would be update your original nand, backup it, downgrade to 4.5 and restore this backup to emunand.

well, gateway can't run it, that's a fact. I think only Japanese version is running (maybe it uses early encryption).

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

What he meant is that tomodachi life uses sdk7+ save encryption. (Save encryption method is somewhat independent of firmware requirement)

Reactions: laurorual

groit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So say 8.0(Nintendo) comes out with an awesome game we want to play, and gateway comes out with an 8.0 update, how are we supposed to update emuNAND if Nintendo releases 8.1 before? Are we all going to have to mod our 3DS?

sgtkwol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So say 8.0(Nintendo) comes out with an awesome game we want to play, and gateway comes out with an 8.0 update, how are we supposed to update emuNAND if Nintendo releases 8.1 before? Are we all going to have to mod our 3DS?

That's the risk/reward of using a flashcart. You may have to wait for them to update software, it may work on launch day due to the way the exploit works. If you don't like it, do something else. The flashcart companies could close down at any moment and never be seen again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head