3DS firmware 11.8.0-41 out, is actually stable and broke support for Luma3DS - fix now available

IMG_0093.JPG

The 3DS is reaching its twilight years, with major first party releases slowing down. Updates to the system software are also becoming more and more uncommon. However, Nintendo sent out an update tonight, once more boasting about its beloved stability updates. This time, the claims were actually true, and the new update broke support with Luma3DS. Smealum, a major force in the scene is currently telling users to avoid updating at all costs, as doing so while having Luma will result in a "Failed to apply FIRM patch" error. For now, its recommended to stay below the new 11.8.0-41 update if your console is hacked, at least until there's a fix.

If you have knowledge with compiling files, you can apply the fix, but for the entry level user, it's advised you wait.

• Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

:arrow: Source

:download: Fixed Luma version

:download: Fixed Rei-Six version (final update for the project)

:download: Fixed CakesFW version

Deleted member 350372

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I uninstall freeShop and CIAngel before updating, update to 11.8 and use FBI to install games am I safe?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes you can use the nightly and update to the official release when it comes out
Okay. That's good to know. I don't wanna do anything risky to my 3DS which is why I am asking.

aerios169

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well now we need a emunand, actually This could help us to see if we get banned even using emunand offline. This could be helpful for switch

Kitsune06

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i'm on 11.7.0-40, and my 2ds is hacked. I went to the luma app and it said that there is an update, so i updated it. Is it safe for me now to update it to 11.8? Or should i wait

Attachments

• 20180731_232518.jpg
    20180731_232518.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 618

gamerboy1995

Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
The good thing is, this mainly effects freeShop installations, so FBI installations are safe because FBI uses the Application Manager for installations of CIAs.
So, basically, anyone who wants to use Freeshop should either stay on 11.7 or just stop caring whether they're banned or not? Not like the 3DS has any games with online access actually worth using, after all, so banning doesn't get in the way much.

Reactions: aarti and Jukrae

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
So i'm on 11.7.0-40, and my 2ds is hacked. I went to the luma app and it said that there is an update, so i updated it. Is it safe for me now to update it to 11.8? Or should i wait

Only if you don't plan on using either NTR or dsimenu++/nds-bootstrap

Izual Urashima

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I found a video, Sky3ds+ has been tested , it can support V11.8.0-41U, that's great!

Except that the problems will come from the fact that 11.8 allows Nintendo to easily detect either pirated consoles or consoles using pirated games. So it isn't more useful than Luma's update since it won't let you or others avoid online bans.

Good for Sky3ds+ users, though.

Spearoid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, I got a 2DS XL off eBay from a seller who has never replied to my messages of any kind...probably doesn't even speak English. I have only messed with the homebrew scene on the Wii....I didn't feel like having to figure out all that crap with the 2DS XL I was buying for my son so I went the eBay pre-hacked way. Well it's made this 11.8 update/break thing especially challenging because I knew nothing about how this DS has been configured. Anyway, I now know that it's running Luma3DS v9.0. I tried placing the boot.firm file on the root of my SD card as is and renamed as native.firm. There were no *.firm files on the SD card already...and putting the files there made no difference for the no booting issue.

I see now we v9.1 is out and will fix this...and I've downloaded the archive....coming in in the middle of a hack I'm a little unsure how to go about applying this update. I'm sure it's pretty simple. I used the select + power button to discover the configuration screen...but this one doesn't seem to show any update options

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, I got a 2DS XL off eBay from a seller who has never replied to my messages of any kind...probably doesn't even speak English. I have only messed with the homebrew scene on the Wii....I didn't feel like having to figure out all that crap with the 2DS XL I was buying for my son so I went the eBay pre-hacked way. Well it's made this 11.8 update/break thing especially challenging because I knew nothing about how this DS has been configured. Anyway, I now know that it's running Luma3DS v9.0. I tried placing the boot.firm file on the root of my SD card as is and renamed as native.firm. There were no *.firm files on the SD card already...and putting the files there made no difference for the no booting issue.

I see now we v9.1 is out and will fix this...and I've downloaded the archive....coming in in the middle of a hack I'm a little unsure how to go about applying this update. I'm sure it's pretty simple. I used the select + power button to discover the configuration screen...but this one doesn't seem to show any update options
After you download Luma3DS v9.1, you just need to extract boot.firm and put it onto the root of your SD card. You don't need to rename it.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
After you download Luma3DS v9.1, you just need to extract boot.firm and put it onto the root of your SD card. You don't need to rename it.

Though for those of us who do rename it to something else (only relevant for fastboot3ds users) one of the "bug fixes" was doubling the length allowed for the path/filename for the luma .firm file. Thus it will work even if you have it like this "sdmc:/FIRMS/1-Luma-91-release-[YYYYMMDD].firm".

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Please correct me if i am wrong.
I am currently on 11.7 on my 3DS XL and are palnning to update to 11.8.

1/. Install Luma Updater and update Luma
2/. Boot boot.firm on 3ds sd card.
3/. Update 3ds Firmware

Is this correct please?

Thanks

Spearoid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there must be more to do, or the guy that hacked this one did it a different, perhaps non-standard way. Placing the boot.firm file on the SD root does nothing. It still boots up directly to the error message "Failed to apply 1 Firm patch(es)

There was no .firm file on the root of this SD card to begin with either.

I'm sure there's something simple here I'm missing....again, at a major disadvantage trying to fix a system that someone else hacked

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto