Question 3ds emulation working on retroarch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Knash, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Knash
    OP

Knash Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I see there is a option to download 3ds content, anyone know if i can get a game working? will we ever get 3ds emulation on switch? Tia

2. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2016
    United States
    No

3. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    probably never either even if there are the same Arch (I think Tegra is an arm processor branded under Nvidia correct me if I'm wrong they are different (tegra is aarch 64 where 3ds is arm v7 and v9) if you don't know anything how emulators work basicly you need a more powerful machine just to emulate (example is my 2016 dell barely runs citra 3ds at a playable speed (a good example is the usum rom hack Pokemon stars) but can run desmume without enabling JIT at full or higher speed anyways the switch is more powerful than the 3ds true...but tto emulate the 3ds? i doubt even max OC wouldn't allow any rom to run and you'll damage your switch if you OC it at the highest setting so if you don't want a $300 piece of toast i HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND you to even try

4. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    Let's hope we can emulate just DS at full speed, which with oc is now even possible...3ds, Wii or GC are dreams.

Last edited by Csmrcc, Feb 6, 2019
  5. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    The 3ds has arm 11 and arm 9 not 7 and 9

chrisrlink likes this.
  6. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    I would not be that sure for gamecube

ScarletDreamz likes this.
  7. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    Localhost
    Indeed, GameCube is still possible.

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  8. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    Well, point me toto t patreon for that, I will make him rich.
    Tried few months ago old lakka but it was unplayaule

9. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    my bad thanks Amanda for the correction still what i said of the host (switch) needing alot more power to emulate a 3ds is true tbh most emulators like zsnes use "tricks and hacks" to speed up emulation a more cycle accurate emulator like bsnes (formally higan) needs at least an i3 (or equivalant) to run good

AmandaRose likes this.
  10. Wolfy

Wolfy Person That Never Was

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere In The Aether...
    Unplayable, true, but that was only a POC. It was only to show that it was possible.

And it was already displaying games correctly and at a somewhat acceptable framerate, not playable, but it was already well on it's way to becoming something amazing.

Though personally I'll be content with N64 games until then :P

11. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Not a PoC, literally is THE BEST the switch can do; aarch64 dynarec, hw acceleration, EVEN speedhacks has been done. Sorry guys, no GameCube emulation this time, just let the dreams die alreally.

12. Wolfy

Wolfy Person That Never Was

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere In The Aether...
    Well I was going off of this thread and many others saying that it was being worked on. Since I doubt that it was perfected and fully optimized(as best it could) for the platform after only being worked on for a small amount of time.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-dolphin-emulator-for-the-switch-by-jhiral.510424/

13. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    The Switch’s CPU is ARMv8. The 3ds’s ARM11 CPU (which is used for games & shit) is ARMv6 and its ARM9 CPU (which is used for security shit) is either ARMv4 or ARMv5

Last edited by ZachyCatGames, Feb 7, 2019
    H1B1Esquire likes this.
  14. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    That's why you think it is possible?

15. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    You might be able to do a VM style emulator where the code runs natively or at the very least is minimally translated.

16. dAVID_

dAVID_ Carpinter's Apprentice

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    The Game
    Not happening.

17. ZachyCatGames

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    The person I quoted was wrong about the CPU architectures of the 3ds and I was just correcting them.

But anyways, I think it may be possible, but I can’t really say for sure whether I think its possible or not until there’s a 3ds dynarec for aarch64 (without a dynarec 3ds games run at about half speed in lakka iirc)

Last edited by ZachyCatGames, Feb 8, 2019
  18. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    GameCube and Wii emulation should be very much possible with overclock, it's just that dolphin is not up to the task.

19. ZachyCatGames

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    Wrong. The graphics driver we currently have in lakka isn't very good. Some people are currently working on getting the official nvidia driver working which WILL increase the performance. By how much? Who knows, but it will improve it (it'll probably run about the same as it does on the shield TV though, if you use max OC of course)

Last edited by ZachyCatGames, Feb 8, 2019
  20. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Dolphin on Shield TV most likely has Android optimizations, I doubt L4T will perform the same as the Shield TV (I may be wrong tho).