Homebrew Question 3ds emulation working on retroarch?

Knash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see there is a option to download 3ds content, anyone know if i can get a game working? will we ever get 3ds emulation on switch? Tia

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
probably never either even if there are the same Arch (I think Tegra is an arm processor branded under Nvidia correct me if I'm wrong they are different (tegra is aarch 64 where 3ds is arm v7 and v9) if you don't know anything how emulators work basicly you need a more powerful machine just to emulate (example is my 2016 dell barely runs citra 3ds at a playable speed (a good example is the usum rom hack Pokemon stars) but can run desmume without enabling JIT at full or higher speed anyways the switch is more powerful than the 3ds true...but tto emulate the 3ds? i doubt even max OC wouldn't allow any rom to run and you'll damage your switch if you OC it at the highest setting so if you don't want a $300 piece of toast i HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND you to even try

Csmrcc

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I see there is a option to download 3ds content, anyone know if i can get a game working? will we ever get 3ds emulation on switch? Tia
Let's hope we can emulate just DS at full speed, which with oc is now even possible...3ds, Wii or GC are dreams.

Last edited by Csmrcc,

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3ds has arm 11 and arm 9 not 7 and 9
my bad thanks Amanda for the correction still what i said of the host (switch) needing alot more power to emulate a 3ds is true tbh most emulators like zsnes use "tricks and hacks" to speed up emulation a more cycle accurate emulator like bsnes (formally higan) needs at least an i3 (or equivalant) to run good

Reactions: AmandaRose

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, point me toto t patreon for that, I will make him rich.
Tried few months ago old lakka but it was unplayaule

Unplayable, true, but that was only a POC. It was only to show that it was possible.

And it was already displaying games correctly and at a somewhat acceptable framerate, not playable, but it was already well on it's way to becoming something amazing.

Though personally I'll be content with N64 games until then :P

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a PoC, literally is THE BEST the switch can do; aarch64 dynarec, hw acceleration, EVEN speedhacks has been done. Sorry guys, no GameCube emulation this time, just let the dreams die alreally.

Well I was going off of this thread and many others saying that it was being worked on. Since I doubt that it was perfected and fully optimized(as best it could) for the platform after only being worked on for a small amount of time.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-dolphin-emulator-for-the-switch-by-jhiral.510424/

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
probably never either even if there are the same Arch (I think Tegra is an arm processor branded under Nvidia correct me if I'm wrong they are different (tegra is aarch 64 where 3ds is arm v7 and v9)
The Switch’s CPU is ARMv8. The 3ds’s ARM11 CPU (which is used for games & shit) is ARMv6 and its ARM9 CPU (which is used for security shit) is either ARMv4 or ARMv5

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,
Reactions: H1B1Esquire

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why you think it is possible?
The person I quoted was wrong about the CPU architectures of the 3ds and I was just correcting them.

But anyways, I think it may be possible, but I can’t really say for sure whether I think its possible or not until there’s a 3ds dynarec for aarch64 (without a dynarec 3ds games run at about half speed in lakka iirc)

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a PoC, literally is THE BEST the switch can do; aarch64 dynarec, hw acceleration, EVEN speedhacks has been done. Sorry guys, no GameCube emulation this time, just let the dreams die alreally.
GameCube and Wii emulation should be very much possible with overclock, it's just that dolphin is not up to the task.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
literally is THE BEST the switch can do
Wrong. The graphics driver we currently have in lakka isn't very good. Some people are currently working on getting the official nvidia driver working which WILL increase the performance. By how much? Who knows, but it will improve it (it'll probably run about the same as it does on the shield TV though, if you use max OC of course)

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wrong. The graphics driver we currently have in lakka isn't very good. Some people are currently working on getting the official nvidia driver working which WILL increase the performance. By how much? Who knows, but it will improve it (it'll probably run about the same as it does on the shield TV though, if you use max OC of course)
Dolphin on Shield TV most likely has Android optimizations, I doubt L4T will perform the same as the Shield TV (I may be wrong tho).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0