Hacking 3DS decapping fundraising topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Im sure this must be in "the terms you never read but still agree to" :P
Yeah, that's why I'm careful to point out Paypal's not doing anything illegal and not using words like "theft" and "stole", because they wouldn't legally apply.

Just pointing out it's a total douchebag move.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, that's why I'm careful to point out Paypal's not doing anything illegal and not using words like "theft" and "stole", because they wouldn't legally apply.

Just pointing out it's a total douchebag move.

I've had my fair share of problems with PayPal, so I consider myself a bit of an expert on the subject of how douchey they are. One of the biggest issues―in the UK, at least―is that they seem to be operating unregulated. I know that the FSA and the Financial Ombudsman have said they will listen to complaints regarding PayPal in the past but I've never heard a success story stemming from such cases. In this instance, withholding funds without legal backing seems like a somewhat dangerous issue. Who are they to decide what to do with money that isn't theirs?

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
And if I give somebody I trusted $50 and tell them to go get me something at a store with the understanding that they would.. they return without the item and refuse to give my my money back for six months because they felt like it. But they're just "withholding".

Something about that seem wrong? No?

Yes and it's a totally flawed analogy. PayPal isn't your mate. It's a company. As you have alluded to what they're doing is in the terms and conditions.

Yes it's a dick move. Two business startups I know (one of which I was personally involved in) were totally screwed up by it (and neither were anything to do with flash cards!) But saying "they took the money" implying "and ran with it" at the end as also a dick move.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes and it's a totally flawed analogy. PayPal isn't your mate. It's a company. As you have alluded to what they're doing is in the terms and conditions.

Yes it's a dick move. Two business startups I know (one of which I was personally involved in) were totally screwed up by it (and neither were anything to do with flash cards!) But saying "they took the money" implying "and ran with it" at the end as also a dick move.
Even if they tell you they'll give it back in six months, they have still taken your money. It is in their possession and they refuse to give it back to you for a sizeable amount of time.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Even if they tell you they'll give it back in six months, they have still taken your money. It is in their possession and they refuse to give it back to you for a sizeable amount of time.

We're arguing over semantics here. Point is you said "they took his money" and you knew very well (or should have, for you're intelligent enough) that that would be read as "they took his money [forever]"

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
We're arguing over semantics here. Point is you said "they took his money" and you knew very well (or should have, for you're intelligent enough) that that would be read as "they took his money [forever]"
What is this, the lesser of two evils? They took the money, whether they want to give it back after half a year doesn't mean they didn't take it or that it wasn't wrong of them to take it.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
What is this, the lesser of two evils? They took the money, whether they want to give it back after half a year doesn't mean they didn't take it or that it wasn't wrong of them to take it.

Ok Conversation closed. I'm pretty sure that everybody is now aware that PayPal will be returning the money, unfreezing the account, whatever you want to call it. You can continue spreading mis(leading )information if you like. There's not much point continuing with this debate.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Legal definitions...semantics...oh, hello Rydian.
Considering that multiple people in this thread, me included, sent donations to the project that then got "frozen" (without legal authority) by Paypal and the runner of the project is instead contributing that same amount of money from his pocket to make up the difference (since Paypal "has it and is refusing to give it back"), it's quite important to note.

EDIT: Typo.

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I did find it awfully nice of gshock to do that, taking the burden of his project's hiccups and all so it wasn't anybody else's problem or a setback for them...

AliBabasFreeDelivery

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just threw $5.00 at you. Good luck, hope this keeps growing. Is there any way to grab some more attention to this, maybe tapping into other homebrew/hacking communities with similar interests?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I was just thinking, what if the 3DS people end up with a usable hack because of this fundraising but have the same excuse not to release it like the Wii U people?

AliBabasFreeDelivery

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was just thinking, what if the 3DS people end up with a usable hack because of this fundraising but have the same excuse not to release it like the Wii U people?

I'm new to the 3DS scene but from my limited impression so far the point of decapping process is to dig up something more "permanent" than other methods so that it cannot be easily circumvented by Nintendo and thus doesn't require the level of secrecy that we've seen from the other communities? I could be totally off base with this though.

EDIT: VVVVVVVV (This too ;))

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
That's a risk every donor makes. Its like an investment, you could either profit or waste your money.

Captain Obvious o/c, but it needs to be said.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
That's a risk every donor makes. Its like an investment, you could either profit or waste your money.

Captain Obvious o/c, but it needs to be said.
Yeah but the general expecation is that if the 3DS people find anything after decapping, they would release it. Contrary to this, the Wii U people did find something but don't want to release it. Nobody would have donated or would donate if they know they wouldn't release a hack anyway, regardless if they find something.

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the expectation is actually that the scans would be released to donors. not that any work coming from looking at them will be released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol