3DS Custom firmware without Cartridge?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by JoshuaMiranda, Mar 17, 2015.

1. JoshuaMiranda
    OP

JoshuaMiranda Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2012
    Is there a way to write a program for the 3DS, compile it, and run it without a cartrige? I do have a 16gb sd car. No comercial pirated games involved, just nice homebrew 3DS. Is it doable at this time? hack it? nice CFW.

Margen67 likes this.
  2. james50a

james50a Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    james50a is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 4, 2010
    Canada
    If by cartridge you mean flashcard then yes you can run hombres with cubic ninja otherwise no

3. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    You're probably looking for Karl3DS (not yet released), then. It does not yet support MSET or spider, but I'm pretty sure they said they were going to port it to MSET at the least, eventually. Other options include OSKA (not booting into a CFW just yet) and the leaked CFW for 4.x (extremely buggy, crashes a lot, I strongly recommend against using it for any serious homebrew development).

TL;DR: There's no convenient and cart-less solution for running homebrew on a CFW yet. You could get your hands dirty with the spider exploit, but nobody has been working on turning that into a CFW as far as I know.

4. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    All CFW methods need a cart in one way or another, especially for N3DS. For 3DS it might be possible for something to pop up through the spider exploit which is built into the OS.

Margen67 likes this.
  5. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007

The exception would be being on 4.x, using the spider installer for MSET ROP, and then using KARL, assuming you eventually port it to MSET. :P

But yeah, you're right.

6. JoshuaMiranda
    OP

JoshuaMiranda Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2012
    Its fine.

I am looking for a free way to do it. Thanks in advance.