Hacking 3DS Custom Code Execution?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something came to my mind today

If the exploit allows to run unsigned code with full access and is booted from the bluecard (that is no more then a regular ds flashcard), this would mean that a loader could in theory be run from any of the DS-mode cards available

Or i'm missing something?
Theoretically, with enough work, you wouldn't even need a flashcart in order to run ROMs; you could put them in your 3DS' SD card. But I'm guessing it will be a long time before that happens.

But yes, that would be possible, in theory.

D

Deleted User

To whoever re-uploaded the video, that is very disrespectful. It's because of people like you we can't have nice things

Reactions: signz and NEP

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To whoever re-uploaded the video, that is very disrespectful. It's because of people like you we can't have nice things
Some guy does something that could get him arrested if he released his findings, and then he proceeds to upload a video to youtube (without making it private) and complains when more than 3 people see it? And then you call the re-uploader disrespectful? It's because of people like you we can't have nice things.

Seriously, once you upload something to the internet, it stays there. Have you learned nothing from Facebook?

Reactions: yuyuyup and cearp

lightenup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
For those who missed it.
something on the internet seems to stay on the internet and comes right back with unwarranted insults (I refer to the youtube description)...

I didn't remove the video to censorship (what by the way?), but because it was seen by everyone we wanted to actually show it (a handful of people) and because it seems to lead to great unnecessary emotional reactions in people we don't even know.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Something came to my mind today

If the exploit allows to run unsigned code with full access and is booted from the bluecard (that is no more then a regular ds flashcard), this would mean that a loader could in theory be run from any of the DS-mode cards available

Or i'm missing something?

Im pretty sure its executed via the launcher.dat and just uses gw exploit, as it happens when he goes into profile, pretty sure they decrypted the second layer to some extent or made sense of it to be able to launch to something else

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
something on the internet seems to stay on the internet and comes right back with unwarranted insults (I refer to the youtube description)...

I didn't remove the video to censorship (what by the way?), but because it was seen by everyone we wanted to actually show it (a handful of people) and because it seems to lead to great unnecessary emotional reactions in people we don't even know.
No need to contact us concerning details - find them yourself.
If you only wanted to show this to a handful of people, then that line would have been unnecessary. Chances are that the people you wanted to show already know how to do so. The fact of the matter is that you did something that does nothing but confirm what everyone knows is possible and then proceeded to act all mighty by saying that you don't want to allow or aid piracy, even though you broke into a closed system and then said "Don't buy closed systems if you don't like them."

If you don't wanna release your efforts, fine, don't, that's perfectly acceptable. But don't go around, showing off your new toy, saying "You can't play with it, na-na-na-na-na!" and then get upset and prevent the other kids from even looking at your toy.

lightenup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
If you only wanted to show this to a handful of people, then that line would have been unnecessary.
That we didnt mind at first that others see it too, doesn't make my earlier explanation of the removal invalid, does it?

If you don't wanna release your efforts, fine, don't, that's perfectly acceptable. But don't go around, showing off your new toy, saying "You can't play with it, na-na-na-na-na!" and then get upset and prevent the other kids from even looking at your toy.

lightenup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Just ignore the children here. Their presence is to be expected on a forum for a Nintendo product ;-)
ah, its fine - I love to reason :) at least if there is some time to kill and its something we didn't have yet. Also it's not that I don't understand the frustration - I hate to not release too.. still I hate the other previously explained consequences more; much more.

XiTaU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i really dont mind the release of such details its cool just to see people putting hard work in and doing the once unthinkable was a cool little video.

Gurjas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First off I wouldn't say spending $80 on the gateway is for no reason as others have said it is going to be a long ways off (likely) till we get another solution for running roms (either from another flashcart or if ever the 3DS SD slot). Gateway gives you every rom from every region now accept Animal Crossings. Bravely default is awesome but unless you read japanese what good will it do you to play an in depth rpg that you can't read the text. The westernized version is supposed to be out in EU later this year and in US early next...if you get the gateway you should be able to play the EU version by the end of the year.

I can read Japanese ive been taking classes since last year and jrpgs usually lose a lot of there content and humor for western releases

xyzmanas

Trophies
XP
Country
Lol, epic BS happening over here. I guess all those who spent 80$ on the gateway are pissed of because of the video. They really want the hack to come at a cost because they paid for it.

lightenup Sure you can say what you want and keep all the info discreet but that display of the video really tells to whom and what you wanted show :P

I guess all the people who were in the scene for the past 2 years would have been able to achieve this in a matter of days after the Gateway was released but they didn't come up uploading a video on YOUTUBE and telling see we did it in a matter of days from all the public info... yeyeyeye, but look we can't support you in piracy because we are getting money from Gateway to keep our mouth shut and we are happy with it.

Benshannon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can read Japanese ive been taking classes since last year and jrpgs usually lose a lot of there content and humor for western releases

Wow, You have got quite a talent there.
I've been studying Japanese in university as a profession for 2 years and got a N3 certificate but still, sometimes, can not even make out a Jap. 3DS menu screen.Let alone understanding games.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
ah, its fine - I love to reason :) at least if there is some time to kill and its something we didn't have yet. Also it's not that I don't understand the frustration - I hate to not release too.. still I hate the other previously explained consequences more; much more.
I'm not on 4.5, so no kernel mode hack for me, but it's still rather disappointing to see homebrew being held back by hackers. Granted, there's a lot of people out there who want it for piracy, but I have a hard time believing that's what stops hacks being released. In fact, I wouldn't at all be surprised if there was some collaboration between #3dsdev regulars and the Gateway team. Don't get me wrong, by no means do I feel "entitled". It's yours, you did it, what you do with it is up to you. It's just that the hacking communities used to be sharing communities where a hack was developed and released despite the obvious consequences, and it's sad to see how we've moved away from that mindset. Let's not forget that you were able to do what you did thanks to the sharing of others, and them thanks to the sharing of others before them.

iOS hacking managed to keep that sharing mindset. Those guys work hard to release a public jailbreak for every iOS version released, and nobody ever posts a video and then says "by the way, we're not releasing because we don't want people using installous/appcake/that other chinese pirating app". And the figures aren't likely that much different: the ratio of pirates to homebrew users is still going to be extremely high―for what it's worth, I don't know anybody who pays for apps. Then you have people like bushing and marcan that are members of the iPhone dev team happy enough to blow iOS wide open for pirates but suddenly their moral compass points in a different direction or they say they can't be bothered when they gain access to a games console. And don't get me wrong here either, it's difficult not to have a lot of respect for them especially with everything they have released. But I think that's part of the problem: other developers/hackers respect them too, so then everyone adopts the same philosophy, despite many of them being involved with piracy in the past and likely even having illegally downloaded material on their systems at this very minute.

The Geohot/fail0verflow lawsuit is another excuse I take exception with. Geohot had a massive ego, for him the world had to know that he was the one to blow the PS3 wide open (even though it was fail0verflow who did all the legwork). But what if he'd taken a train to the nearest city, sat in a McDonalds restaurant, registered an anonymous email address and an anonymous account on a PS3 hacking forum and uploaded all the stuff without revealing a single thing about himself?

It's such a shame, it seems like we could do a lot with the 3DS. 3D homebrew, 3D emulators, system tweaks, etc. There's always going to be a lot of pirates. Even I would be more selective about which games I purchased. But, alas, every time it seems like we're close, someone else tells us that what we're seeing will never see the light of day outside the elitiste hacking circles.

lightenup got job offers? for what?
Well, there's more than a few DS flashcard manufacturers out there just itching to get a slice of Gateway's pie. I seriously doubt anyone's going to pay them to write not-for-profit 3DS homebrew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    This was one of the craziest movies I've seen about our food industry, lots of stuff I didn't know. A must see. https://youtu.be/OqzjC-ENrl8?si=GYxmdY5nShzGniVi
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Oh, that dude?
    I stopped believing or caring about that dude when I found out about some of the more questionable nonsense he did in his life.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Like what? I didn't know or hear.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean like every famous person that ever existed
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get so tired of hearing oh I liked him until...
    I just know dude was a chronic alcoholic and such.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been to his chicken restaurant he started in his 2nd movie, Holy Chicken, was pretty good. It is only 15-20 miles from me in Ohio. It only lasted 1 yr or so then closed tho.
    There are very few people I just have just an immense dislike of and he's one of those very few people, the only other example is Gene Simmons. My musician uncle on my mother's side of the family actually met Gene once during some event and said he was the most unpleasant person to be around.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I met myself once turns out that guy is a giant piece of shit that doesn't deserve any of my respect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn alcoholics! (Sshhh- Opens another beer)
    Agreed, Ken
    I can't say I've ever tried even a sip of beer tbh-
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You met yourself also and is a giant piece of shit?
    +1
    Then again, I don't think I'd really enjoy it //shrug
    I'm sure it's an acquired taste :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Poor lad can never enjoy the amazing taste of four loko
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Root beer is a gateway drink, don't ever try it either.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, don't you love how smooth MD20 is
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mad dog 20 20? Oh yea fixed the typo. I haven't seen that or had forever. Do they still make it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think it's why I'm alive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What happens if when playing Paper Mario, you start a fire in-game?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Paper Mario is a drug dealer and he is all about the paper yo lol
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Paper Mario is a drug dealer and he is all about the paper yo lol +1