3DS could feature automatic firmware updates

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wintrale said:
sstomouth said:
Fuck that shit, if it is true, Nintendo will lose sales from me and other pirates. What fags.

One minute, the biggest argument in the defense pirates is "I never would have bought it anyway, so it's not like they're losing a sale" but the second Nintendo bring in a proper anti-piracy measure, it's "Nintendo will definitely lose sales now!". How... Quaint.
If they would not have sold the software anyway, they are at least getting hardware sales if piracy is possible. If it is not, they are getting neither. Then again, I doubt they will eliminate piracy on the system. Nintendo is number one again, so it is not going to be like the gamecube, where cracking took some time.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
omgpwn666 said:
It will be a little annoying to not get free games, but if they can pull it off, I'll gladly buy some games.

or none at all, i don't support game companies who take away our rights sony do it, and now nintendo are taking that route well a big up yours to nintendo, it just shows how messed up this world is.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Good move but I can easily see this being countered by hackers....Though it is a good move. If I leave my 3DS at the house, its can't automatically connected to my router unless I put in the WEP/WPA key and if I do leave it at the house I won't run the risk of hitting a unprotected hotspot which he could just connect to.

I really don't care cause I can easily see myself buying games more often this go round.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheDestroyer said:
Nintendo should provide free internet (like kindles?) for these consoles, now we're talkin.. lol
They've publicly spoken about how they admire that idea.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
or none at all, i don't support game companies who take away our rights sony do it, and now nintendo are taking that route well a big up yours to nintendo, it just shows how messed up this world is.

Yes, it certainly does when someone spouts nonsense like "piracy is our right". We pirate because we're either cheap or poor, not because it's our right. It's Nintendo's right to stop us pirating - it isn't our right to stop them from stopping us from pirating. Nintendo receive practically no benefits whatsoever from pirates, regardless of the nonsense people will spread to try to make it sound like piracy is more beneficial than it is detrimental. Everyone who pirates games is a thief, so stop trying to make us sound like we're Robin bloody Hood. 'Cause we ain't. Stop acting so damn proud of the fact that you're a pirate. There's nothing to be proud of.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Mr Iwata said many people in the past did not updated their system's firmware, so he is looking for new ways to bring updates to the users"

IE : hackers were smart and didn't update to lose their Flashcart functionality. So we are going to FORCE you to lose it. If an exploit is even released...that is...

thebigboss14

Trophies
Website
thebigboss14.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
I think it won't be so automatic because most of the hotspot sometimes have hard security or need identification and also the download won;t complete if the 3DS it's move to another place or interrupted or things like that. Even thought it sounds like a promising feature I don't think it won't be that great and so self-controlled.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Seek01 said:
This won't change anything. Add WEP for your house's wifi and don't give the key to your 3DS. Also, is the 3DS always in sleep mode when its not on? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do it if it were off completely.

This might be a problem for some, but I hardly go by any wifi connection that doesn't have some sort of encryption

then you woulden't be able to go to the 3DStore and download usless Gameboy and GameBoy Color Games (why no advance Nintendo??
hate2.gif
)

or use the web browser

or play online Wifi

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't matter though. Nintendo is lazy as piss when it comes to anti piracy. Plus if your 3DS is only accessing your personal wireless throughout its entire lifespan and you don't have it on your allowed list of MAC addresses, this is entirely futile.

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
Make sure there is no "free access" wifi from where you play.

Turn it off, take the battery out if Nintendo are complete cunts while moving about(Tho it shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't stay in 1 place too long).

Problem solved, even though forcing you to download something(that you specifically don't want) is illegal I think.

zavlin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its funny, not only does this make them look desperate, its an admission that theyr realizing how hackable the 3ds will be.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Seek01 said:
This won't change anything. Add WEP for your house's wifi and don't give the key to your 3DS. Also, is the 3DS always in sleep mode when its not on? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do it if it were off completely.

This might be a problem for some, but I hardly go by any wifi connection that doesn't have some sort of encryptionAs somebody else mentioned, a problem could be avoiding wifi when you go outside.

jalaneme said:
omgpwn666 said:
It will be a little annoying to not get free games, but if they can pull it off, I'll gladly buy some games.or none at all, i don't support game companies who take away our rights sony do it, and now nintendo are taking that route well a big up yours to nintendo, it just shows how messed up this world is.I wasn't aware the capability to play your 3DS without updates was listed as a core human right in your country's laws...

QUOTE(stanleyopar2000 @ Oct 1 2010, 12:40 PM) Mr Iwata said many people in the past did not updated their system's firmware, so he is looking for new ways to bring updates to the users"

IE : hackers were smart and didn't update to lose their Flashcart functionality. So we are going to FORCE you to lose it. If an exploit is even released...that is...
Bull. Most people with a DSi were not people with flash carts, they were normal people. Normal people didn't update because there was no need to update. You didn't need to update to stick a cart in and play (which is what most people did), only if you bought something from the online shop (which as nintendo has stated, was done rarely).

QUOTE(Amber Lamps @ Oct 1 2010, 01:03 PM)
It doesn't matter though. Nintendo is lazy as piss when it comes to anti piracy.
Mnhhh, not really. The wii's architecture prevents most modern anti-piracy methods from being possible on it (see why the wii will never get any better), the DS came out before the common time of updateable firmware (it's almost six years old!), and the DSi couldn't do much since it had to make sure it didn't block legit games as well.

This new system is a new slate for them.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
zavlin said:
its funny, not only does this make them look desperate,Forcing software updates to play games.
HM, WHY DOES THAT SOUND FAMILIAR? =D The same shit done on the wii and other consoles as well as the PSP?
Yeah.

QUOTE(zavlin @ Oct 1 2010, 01:42 PM) its an admission that theyr realizing how hackable the 3ds will be.
No, it's called a "preventative measure".

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eventually someone will come up with a fi.. I really don't mind buying my games until a custom firmware comes up.. Even though Greece's situation is f*cked up
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Intel UHD 4000