3DS could feature automatic firmware updates

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Rydian said:
AmitZ said:
definitely don't pirate it, because if you pirate it, it's like you essenitally STEAL it. Say what you want, but if you were at a gaming store and saw a game you want, but you didn't have the money for it, would you steal it? Of course not. Then what so different in piracy?
The fact that nothing is stolen. Durrrrrr.

If you take something from a shop, the shop loses that item. The shop no longer has that item because of your actions. You have deprived that shop of the item.

Not so with piracy.
Yeah, by pirating you're saving gamestop some money, but costing game studios money.

D

Deleted User

...even though I would LOVE a flashcart for the 3ds. I have to say, due to the DS's massive 8/10 piracy rate, I don't blame Nintendo.

miigo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
damn you nintendo. overpriced games here i come
frown.gif

D

Deleted User

miigo said:
damn you nintendo. overpriced games here i come
frown.gif
uh, appreciate that those 'overpriced games' are their ONLY source of income first,yes?

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm laughing hard here.

All I can say is when Nintendo products get unhackable, it's the end for me. No way I'm going to pay loads of money for games. 3D is nice, but still the novelty eventually wears off (just like the DS touch screen did)

Plus the fact that I've got hundreds of DS and Wii games yet unfinished (many even barely touched) makes it even less appealing.

The 3DS really has to come up with better things than 3D or just plain very good games. I mean the 8bit nintendo had very good games too, as did the SNES and N64.

So in a way I hope the 3DS will not be a must for me. I finally can play all the games I never had the time for, because of all the new shit the constantly comes out.

Seicomart

Trophies
XP
Country
$300 for a system you cant use to play wonderful pirated games on?

Nintendo you have failed me.

No free games = not worth purchasing!

All you buyfags can go lick a dogs ass till it bleeds!

ShinyLatios

Not Quite There Yet
Trophies
Website
www.eonaegis.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
BlueStar said:
So, you know all these grave warnings when you update something's firmware about not powering off your system lest you end up with it half installed and an expensive brick? If it's doing this stuff in the background as you pass hotspots, what's to say at that point you're not gonna turn off the system or run out of battery after walking around all day with a constantly seeking wifi mode which you can't turn off?

this will suck. like you said, there'll be some bricks caused by this. Firetruck you Nintendo, you're gonna get problems for this in Europe!

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just have the wifi switch constantly off and when you don't use it, have the system completely off. Can't update and use wifi if it's completely turned off

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Giga_Gaia said:
Just have the wifi switch constantly off and when you don't use it, have the system completely off. Can't update and use wifi if it's completely turned off

Games will likely come with firmware updates, ala PSP UMD.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Giga_Gaia said:

That was hacked, was it not?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
_Chaz_ said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Giga_Gaia said:

That was hacked, was it not?

It was. Which, I don't see the point in this. Sure it will combat some piracy... but as my grandfather always said, if one man put it together, another can take it apart.

It's only a matter of time before those get hacked as well. Nothing is hack proof. But apparently Nintendo seems to believe so.

AmitZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
@shakirmoledina
I didn't say you can't do as you please with your product. You CAN do whatever you want with your product as long as it's LEGAL. Stealing, as far as I know, at least, is illegal.

@t^2
So basically you're justifying your piracy because "Companies have to much money"? Stealing is still stealing whether you're stealing from the poor or stealing from the rich.
And about homebrew, let's face it, most people who hack their consoles, hack it for piracy. Few are the people that actually use it for homebrew and hombrew only, or people who "try before you buy" it.

@Rydian
I was just hoping someone will come with this stupid claim.
Stealing can be a lot of things. Say someone killed another man, he essentially "stole" his right to live, don't you agree?
True, Piracy isn't exactly stealing, but it bears the same effect on the developers.
By pirating you aren't hurting the developers? of course you do. you didn't buy their games and therefore made them lose money.
While it is true that when you pirate you only hurt the developers theoretically, and there's the chance that if you couldn't pirate it you wouldn't have bought it anyway, but in most cases pirating comes over buying the game, and thus you're still hurting the developers.
When you pirate you're not stealing from the store, rather, you're stealing directly of the compay. Game pirated= game not bought= no money for the developers, even though you USE their product anyway.

@ZeWarrior
True enough, but even if I can only convince one man, that'll be enough.

K

Kane91z

While I am not the biggest supporter of piracy, it's not stealing. Stealing means you take something from someone else and they no longer have it. Piracy is copying a bought product, there is no taking away. Personally I like to hack my devices and do neat things with them as a hobby. Another thing I do not consider piracy is using an emulator to play games you already own on another system. Virtual console is just a trick to get you to buy something multiple times.

D

Deleted_171835

I don't blame Nintendo for this.
After all, I don't really care. Sure, I'll pirate if I were able to but that isn't a deal-breaker for me. I wasn't planning on pirating it, anyways. Couldn't this be solved with a CFW, anyways?

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Kane91z said:
While I am not the biggest supporter of piracy, it's not stealing. Stealing means you take something from someone else and they no longer have it. Piracy is copying a bought product, there is no taking away.
Semantics.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Kane91z said:
While I am not the biggest supporter of piracy, it's not stealing. Stealing means you take something from someone else and they no longer have it. Piracy is copying a bought product, there is no taking away.

Funny, all the definitions of stealing that I looked up do not have that bolded part included. Not saying the result doesn't include that, but it does not limit it to just that result.

He's stealing 2nd!
No he's not! The base is still there!
Then why do we call it stealing?

K

Kane91z

I'm pretty sure using a baseball slang analogy is even worse than my argument - and in that sense is it illegal to steal 2nd?
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:unsure::unsure::D:D:wub::D:D