3DS could feature automatic firmware updates

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Opium said:
Spotpass mode is a new feature where the 3DS will seek out wifi hospots and automatically download content while in sleep mode.
Content = Firmware + DLC?
smileipb2.png

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just hope it isn't region-locked, if it is then the only hack I'd want is unlocking region-locking so I can import my games from America or Japan. UK always get shit last and sometimes good games don't get released here.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
heartgold said:
I just hope it isn't region-locked, if it is then the only hack I'd want is unlocking region-locking so I can import my games from America or Japan. UK always get shit last and sometimes good games don't get released here.
You think you guys get it last?
angry.gif

WE DO
GODAMMIT
We always get our games last and they always cost like fucking 100$+
and we got that stupid censor board...

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope it works for them I really do, I'm tired of little children on this forum (like that certain poster in this thread) who think its a right to pirate. I really doubt Nintendo would give a shit about losing hardware sales when they'll more than make up for it with software sales and good support from 3rd party devs.

Wii was doing fairly well for 3rd party sales up until the soft mods arrived, sadly most of the 3rd party publishers were late to developing.

I would like some demos though, just like with what the DS offers only more so.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Cortador said:
Don't setup an internet connection at all?
Doesn't matter.
The 3DS will search automatically for wi-fi (Wi-Fi from hotspots like Starbucks or even maybe a neighbors Wi-Fi) and download these updates.

Sly Nintendo, sly.

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
Cortador said:
Don't setup an internet connection at all?
Doesn't matter.
The 3DS will search automatically for wi-fi (Wi-Fi from hotspots like Starbucks or even maybe a neighbors Wi-Fi) and download these updates.

Sly Nintendo, sly.
Isn't it illegal to download and intsall something without the approvement of the system's owner? At least in Europe?

Seek01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This won't change anything. Add WEP for your house's wifi and don't give the key to your 3DS. Also, is the 3DS always in sleep mode when its not on? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do it if it were off completely.

This might be a problem for some, but I hardly go by any wifi connection that doesn't have some sort of encryption

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gullwing said:
Isn't it illegal to download and intsall something without the approvement of the system's owner? At least in Europe?
Well they could have something you have to sign when you buy the console saying you agree to installing without notification.

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gaydrian said:
Gullwing said:
Well they could have something you have to sign when you buy the console saying you agree to installing without notification.
Wha? Signing stuff? I think that automatic firmware updates won't happen.. Nintendo would be in huge trouble to make it happen

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Gaydrian said:
Gullwing said:
goddamn cell phones >_>

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo will most likely not be doing this
it is still seen in many places as unethical to piggy back off wifi

think of potental lawsuits where kids playing 3dses piggy backing of unprotected wifis which can get you introuble with the law in many places where owners get brandwith stolen eg 100 un upgraded 3dses say near a school getting a 20 meg upgrade each can easily eat away 2 gigs of data and depending on where on earth you are that can be pretty expensive especialy when you go over the limit.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...rom-his-car.ars

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Gullwing said:
Gaydrian said:
Gullwing said:
Wha? Signing stuff? I think that automatic firmware updates won't happen.. Nintendo would be in huge trouble to make it happen
Put it in the EULA and your done

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Seek01 said:
This won't change anything. Add WEP for your house's wifi and don't give the key to your 3DS. Also, is the 3DS always in sleep mode when its not on? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do it if it were off completely.

This might be a problem for some, but I hardly go by any wifi connection that doesn't have some sort of encryption
lol, wep's bad.
use wpa2.

Also lol at you having the wifi switch on for some reason when you don't want it on a network.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Seek01 said:

http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2010/09/s...nnect24_for_3ds

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nollog said:
Seek01 said:

lol, wep's bad.
use wpa2.

Also lol at you having the wifi switch on for some reason when you don't want it on a network.

All shit, I broke past my WPA2 security with some tools and software lol, with given time everything is hackable no matter how you wanna hide it.

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
from

Nintendo will allow you to set how much information you want to give or receive, with a set of privacy controls letting you determine your 3DS's level of engagement with the Internet.

Wherever you are, it seems the 3DS will be able to send and receive new data all the time. Skynet is only a few small steps away.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
So, you know all these grave warnings when you update something's firmware about not powering off your system lest you end up with it half installed and an expensive brick? If it's doing this stuff in the background as you pass hotspots, what's to say at that point you're not gonna turn off the system or run out of battery after walking around all day with a constantly seeking wifi mode which you can't turn off?

In the UK its still very rare to find true open wifi hotspots, you get wifi on trains and in pubs and coffee shops but you usually need to ask at the bar for a password or complete a portal registration agreeing to terms and conditions first. Unless they're going to force me to steal my next-door-but-one neighbour's internet whether I want to or not? Can imagine 3DS pirates walking around with their systems in a lead lined case to keep the updates out.

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
deathking said:
from

Nintendo will allow you to set how much information you want to give or receive, with a set of privacy controls letting you determine your 3DS's level of engagement with the Internet.

Wherever you are, it seems the 3DS will be able to send and receive new data all the time. Skynet is only a few small steps away.
I shall be restored and resume terrorizing the local populace then.

EDIT:
Oh, and updates in carts

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
The only reason why this may be a big deal is because it is very likely the 3DS will be region locked (which is totally stupid). So I await the day the 3DS can be hacked to make it region free.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill