3DS could feature automatic firmware updates

Shebang

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Shoot. The DS and the WII were money printing machines, they want to get back to that to make pirating a bit harder.

Well I don't want to miss the comfort of my 8 GB SD card and the cheats. Neither can be done with the originals so f*ck you Nintendo

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Don't worry guys, geohots promising a hack for it, you'll just have to not update and wait a few years for it. He said he stopped work on the PS3 when he heard about the 3DS.
wink.gif

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If I can install my games to the device, then it's not much of a concern to me. I'll hate that I can't easily play fan translations that make it possible to play awesome games that publishers sometimes leave un-localized, and region-locks may be problematic.

My primary concern is that Nintendo will release a firmware update that bricks or otherwise damages 3DS systems, and there's no way to stop or deny the update without physically avoiding accessible wi-fi (which is getting to be nearly impossible in urban areas). At this point, it becomes like a semi-virus.

Now, just imagine if they have 3DS's firmware update EACH OTHER automatically, so when you walk by someone on the street, they transfer a firmware update to you!

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omatic said:
If I can install my games to the device, then it's not much of a concern to me. I'll hate that I can't easily play fan translations that make it possible to play awesome games that publishers sometimes leave un-localized, and region-locks may be problematic.

My primary concern is that Nintendo will release a firmware update that bricks or otherwise damages 3DS systems, and there's no way to stop or deny the update without physically avoiding accessible wi-fi (which is getting to be nearly impossible in urban areas). At this point, it becomes like a semi-virus.

Now, just imagine if they have 3DS's firmware update EACH OTHER automatically, so when you walk by someone on the street, they transfer a firmware update to you!
Then this would make 3ds users agoraphobics... Oh noes!

Catman44

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt this would stop piracy. Pirates would find a way to block updates and remove updates from the gamess (i.e. Wii) or install a custom firmware (i.e. PSP).

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
i can just see the ds trying to upgrade while driving in a city or on a train
.01% from 1000 different sources could mean massive write errors to the system

abaddon41_80

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has already been said but I am fairly certain that Nintendo cannot make something that automatically connects to unsecured Wifi hotspots without permission. Besides, even if that is legal, 95% of people have security on their networks nowadays and if you don't give the 3DS the passcode then it can't download the updates.

TheDestroyer

GBAtemp's Official Keyblade Master™
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Meh, this update thing won't work for me since I live in a place where people secure their wi-fi. 3DS won't be able to connect to a secured network doesn't it? Nintendo should provide free internet (like kindles?) for these consoles, now we're talkin.. lol

omatic said:

I've been thinking the same thing, but no worries for me since there's like few to none of my town's people have DS/DSi lol what more for 3DS.. But yea, this is a good way to stop piracy. A good solution would be to walk faster so they won't transfer the data lol.. i dunno..

I would still DL games (i.e. pirate) if the opportunity comes in.

Relf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The NDS game cartridges holding firmware updates is an awful idea. Many people buy games they truly love and pirate stuff that borders on shovelware or that they would simply not purchase in ordinary circumstances. This just makes it an all or nothing sort of thing, you either must buy all your games or none of them.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Here's a proof of concept. It needs a cracked firmware file, Nintendo WFC emulator, a PC and a wireless router. Set up your 3DS' WFC to connect to your home router, but input your PC's local address under DNS instead of your ISP's or the auto-obtain DNS feature.

The 3DS connects to your router but instead of querying a real DNS for the Nintendo WFC IP address, it queries the local computer, at which point the WFC emulator returns the PC's own address as being both the DNS and Nintendo WFC's update address. Once the 3DS is convinced that your PC is the official IP of NWFC, it will try to connect to it. At this point the WFC emulator takes over. It then serves the 3DS with a phony update, which is actually a cracked version of the 3DS firmware, with no region lock and any autoupdates or piracy killers of the sort disabled. The scene could then release regular cracked counterparts of Nintendo's official updates.

Nintendo can't do anything to stop people from tricking their 3DS in this way with any sort of update. The best part about this is that since updates are done via WFC they're fault tollerant and won't brick your console if you interrupt mid-way....... unless the cracked firmware has a flaw in itself.

Prof. 9

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Even if automatically downloading updates is illegal, couldn't they make the system lock certain things down (like games and 3DSWare) when it finds out through SpotPass a new firmware version was released?

Codc

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Eh, this isn't a big deal for pirates.

I'm sure there'll be a fix à la PSP to stop the 3DS from updating automatically. I guess we'll just have to wait a few days/weeks after it comes out.

mangaTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Well,I have been pirating my games, I once supported against this method(I think it was already discussed in a previous thread) since it's like "WTF?! Oh crap,oh s**t,%&#!@$^$%^".But then I realized that if piracy continues(probably will),we could get less support from good devs out there meaning low selection of good games since they're afraid of developing high profile games for a piracy infested system.I mean not all devs/publishers out there are like square enix and capcom,which are big companies that could still make up for the damage.Though the I would really like the updates to be user controlled.Maybe this will help me start buying games again cause no matter what others say its worth it,considering the effort during the dev stage(though I would really like demos so I can try it first before buying cause sometimes looks can be deceiving).
unsure.gif
happy.gif

Beige

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Truth be told, I have very high doubts about buying a flashcard for the 3DS even if we get a full-featured one. I currently have a Blue DSi and a Red DSi XL and the DSi is gonna be traded in after buying the 3DS (or until I hear more about the DSiWare transfer system) to buy a few 3DS games. I'll still have the XL to use my flashcard with, but I feel that I just don't really want it anymore.

Isabelyes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Prof. 9 said:
Even if automatically downloading updates is illegal, couldn't they make the system lock certain things down (like games and 3DSWare) when it finds out through SpotPass a new firmware version was released?

This. I can totally see this happen.
It'd be legal - more or less - and everyone that hasn't hacked their 3DS would just be like, "Eh, whatever.", and they'd download the update.

Most importantly, however:
What if hacked 3DSes would send out bricking programs to any 3DS that would happen to come in its range?
Note that this isn't meant as a joke. It's been made before, and it's not funny enough to post and risk getting comments like "Dude gtfo be original".
I'm seriously concerned about this.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
sstomouth said:
Fuck that shit, if it is true, Nintendo will lose sales from me and other pirates. What fags.

One minute, the biggest argument in the defense pirates is "I never would have bought it anyway, so it's not like they're losing a sale" but the second Nintendo bring in a proper anti-piracy measure, it's "Nintendo will definitely lose sales now!". How... Quaint.

If the 3DS proves as hard to crack as the PS3 was, then I'll be happy. I only pirate out of convenience, so the lack of a usable flash card won't really change anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night