Hardware 3DS Black Screen After Sleep Mode Battery Drain

Mariemario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hi guys, I have an old 3ds with luma + B9s installed. The region is Japan and I change the region by doing a ctrtransfer to USA. Sometimes ago, I left the 3ds on sleep mode. I forgot for a few days then when I checked it out the battery had drained. I charged it till the battery was full. When I hit power button the screens just stay black with blue light on. The blue light - yup blue light power indicator, not blue screen - stays on for long time and I have to press and hold power button to shut the 3ds down. When I press Select or Start button, Luma and Godmode9 menus show up. I have tried restoring original Nand, ctrtransfer but it just stays on black screen. Thanks in advance guys!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Remove and reinsert your battery.
  2. Turn on the 3DS without the SD card.
Does the 3DS boot to HOME Menu?

Depending what happens will lead to figuring out what we can try next.

Mariemario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
  1. Remove and reinsert your battery.
  2. Turn on the 3DS without the SD card.
Does the 3DS boot to HOME Menu?

Depending what happens will lead to figuring out what we can try next.

1. I have tried that, still black screen.
2. Have done that also, the same.

It can't boot to Home menu. I can install b9s with ntrboot. After configuring luma and press Start button, it stays on black screen. Pressing L+R+A+Up also does nothing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. I have tried that, still black screen.
2. Have done that also, the same.

It can't boot to Home menu. I can install b9s with ntrboot. After configuring luma and press Start button, it stays on black screen. Pressing L+R+A+Up also does nothing

Did you ever check if your card was fake or had hardware defectives?
  1. Copy everything off your card to your computer.
  2. Reformat it in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size. If it's bigger than 32 GB, use guiformat.
  3. While it's empty, do a Full Write + Verify Test with H2testw.
  4. If the card passes without errors, delete the *.h2w test files.
Before ruling out it's not a software problem your 3DS is having, we need to know for sure if your card is real.

If you used a bad SD card when you did the SysNAND restore and CTRTransfer, your restoration wouldn't work because of corrupt data transfer.

Please check that card with H2testw because the next possible reasons why your 3DS doesn't boot are hardware based.

Mariemario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
  2. Reformat it in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size. If it's bigger than 32 GB, use guiformat.
Before ruling out it's not a software problem your 3DS is having, we need to know for sure if your card is real.

If you used a bad SD card when you did the SysNAND restore and CTRTransfer, your restoration wouldn't work because of corrupt data transfer.

Please check that card with H2testw because the next possible reasons why your 3DS doesn't boot are hardware based.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try other sd cards aswell. I have some in the drawers. I'm going crazy, I'm afraid it is hard-bricked. I'll let you know in a few hours

Mariemario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

Hi, I have tried several sd cards with H2testw shows they are fine but the 3ds still stays black screen. Do you think the motherboard busted? How can a feature like sleep mode kills it? I just can't fathom it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I have tried several sd cards with H2testw shows they are fine but the 3ds still stays black screen. Do you think the motherboard busted? How can a feature like sleep mode kills it? I just can't fathom it.
I think your motherboard is fine if you were able to use GodMode9 and perform CTRTransfer.

As for an explanation of your dreaded Black Screens of Death, I would check the o3DS:
  • WiFi module - If it's loose and needs to be reseated.
  • Flex Cables - loose connector or broken traces. Camera, top lcd, and speaker assembly.
If you didn't hear a popping noise and instant shutoff, your speakers are okay.
You saw video output for the top LCD, so that's good too.

That only leaves WiFi module and camera.

My best guess is camera as your symptoms are somewhat similar to this:
If your problem is hardware-based and without knowing which of those two are bad, try replacing both parts if you can afford it.

Mariemario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I think your motherboard is fine if you were able to use GodMode9 and perform CTRTransfer.

As for an explanation of your dreaded Black Screens of Death, I would check the o3DS:
  • WiFi module - If it's loose and needs to be reseated.
  • Flex Cables - loose connector or broken traces. Camera, top lcd, and speaker assembly.
If you didn't hear a popping noise and instant shutoff, your speakers are okay.
You saw video output for the top LCD, so that's good too.

That only leaves WiFi module and camera.

My best guess is camera as your symptoms are somewhat similar to this:
If your problem is hardware-based and without knowing which of those two are bad, try replacing both parts if you can afford it.

I can't hear a popping noise. I tried replacing the wifi module with the one other 3ds uses and still the same. I also detached the flex camera cable like the one in other thread you linked but still black screen. I dunno what I have to do. Thank you for helping! It's very kind of you. I'll try to do a ctrtransfer one more time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't hear a popping noise. I tried replacing the wifi module with the one other 3ds uses and still the same. I also detached the flex camera cable like the one in other thread you linked but still black screen. I dunno what I have to do. Thank you for helping! It's very kind of you. I'll try to do a ctrtransfer one more time
Do you have another 3DS of the same model to swap the camera? I don't think the o3DS will boot correctly if its camera is disconnected.

Mariemario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Do you have another 3DS of the same model to swap the camera? I don't think the o3DS will boot correctly if its camera is disconnected.

I have three 3ds but they are of different models. I swap the old 3ds xl wifi module. I reconnected the camera flex cable but nothing happens. I will do a ctrtransfer tonight. If that does nothing, I will just salvage the parts and kiss it good bye. I thought 3ds would last longer than a gaming pc, but I think I'm wrong. Maybe todays handhelds are not as durable as last gen like NDS or PSP. I have encountered two dead PS Vita fat (gpu crashes) for a year.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality