Hardware 3DS Battery Life: 3-8 hrs

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
OP
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
And its only 3-5 hrs if you're playing 3ds games. Ugh.

Looks like we might have to invest in a spare battery to get some decent playing time out of this thing. I'm not happy.
hate2.gif

QUOTE said:
As part of its big Nintendo World event being held in Tokyo at the moment, Nintendo has released a chart outlining the final hardware specifications for the 3DS. Most importantly, that includes details on the handheld's battery life.

It takes 3.5 hours for a 3DS battery to fully charge, which is pretty good. As for how fast that battery drains, Nintendo has only provided a select number of figures, all based on the presumption you're using the handheld on a lower screen brightness level.

With the screen's backlighting turned down (but not off), you'll get 3-5 hours of battery life while playing a 3DS game. That number extends to 5-8 hours if you're playing an older DS game on the handheld.

Of course, the more you increase the screen's brightness, the bigger the hit the 3DS' battery life will take. While people will be upset that these numbers seem low for a Nintendo handheld, they're not that far off what you'd expect from a DSi, and considering the 3DS is a much more powerful device, all that extra grunt takes its toll on a battery.

If you're after definitive battery life tests on a unit under all kinds of circumstances, we'll have to wait until people can use one without Nintendo employees standing over their shoulders.
Source: Kotaku

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
you're*
I'm content with that, since I never use my DS/PSP for more than 5 hours without charging it up.
I think people are just overreacting.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, you hear a small number like 3 and immediately rage, but how long do you really need it to be?

This has been a problem with the PSP community for a while now - how often are you away from an AC plug (can't think of the name right now...you know what I'm talkin bout...willis.) for six hours available for gaming?

Really long car trips, maybe, but that's it.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
Yeah, you hear a small number like 3 and immediately rage, but how long do you really need it to be?

This has been a problem with the PSP community for a while now - how often are you away from an AC plug (can't think of the name right now...you know what I'm talkin bout...willis.) for six hours available for gaming?

3 hours is too little for long trips, or even casual everyday play. Inevitably one will want to play at higher screen brightness due to sun exposure, etc. I think Nintendo should make it easy to replace the battery without having carry around a screwdriver!
wacko.gif

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Meh, it's really nothing we weren't prepared for. Plus, we all use DS flash carts and those cause less battery life, but there aren't that many complaints.
You guys are all used to low battery life, but when you see it on paper (or online text), you don't believe it.

gamerjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:

Isn't that why car adapters exist?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
OP
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
monkat said:

Lol, Monkat's the sensible, rational voice of reason now? I guess I can swallow my pride and live with that.
biggrin.gif

It's just hard to take after being spoiled by my DS lite's great battery life for so many years. I'll just have to chill out and accept a little battery life trade-off in exchange for a badass gaming kit like the 3DS. Rage mode disengaged.
rofl.gif

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the battery looked the same as the regular ds lite battery. I hope that's the case because I have 3 batteries and a charger

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
Meh, it's really nothing we weren't prepared for. Plus, we all use DS flash carts and those cause less battery life, but there aren't that many complaints.
You guys are all used to low battery life, but when you see it on paper (or online text), you don't believe it.
My DS lite's battery on the lowest brightness it lasts me a minimum of 7 hours... that's whilst using an R4 and playing games with it, ofcourse this number varies for people, (especially if they have an scds2) but 7 hours compared to 3 hours is just stuffed...

denieru7

Trophies
XP
Country
Official source

3DS game: 3-5 hours
DS game: 5-8 hours

While I was disappointed too at first glance, after I thought about it I guess it's acceptable...

From the photos of the leak it's a 1300 mAh battery, compared to the 1000 mAh one on the Lite.

Traversal

Soooo cool!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is actually better then I expected! I'll just be sure to get a car charger at launch, or as soon as I can.

Usually when I use my DS, I'm away from a charging source for about 1 to 1 and a half hours, and I usually charge it over night, so I have little to no problem with this battery life.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Like I said on Kotaku, isn't Nintendo known for their handhelds for being great in battery? Always the double digit basically? Sure DSi's battery sucked, but the XL fixed it. This is just a total drag.

I also said that all Sony needs to do is make a great console with battery life destroying the 3DS'. Have a killer library better than the PSP's [Bring Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, a high quality Final Fantasy game, FPS'], and the PSP2 could potentially win, if not put up a great threat to the 3DS sales.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:
Like I said on Kotaku, isn't Nintendo known for their handhelds for being great in battery? Always the double digit basically? Sure DSi's battery sucked, but the XL fixed it. This is just a total drag.

I also said that all Sony needs to do is make a great console with battery life destroying the 3DS'. Have a killer library better than the PSP's [Bring Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, a high quality Final Fantasy game, FPS'], and the PSP2 could potentially win, if not put up a great threat to the 3DS sales.

I'm pretty sure my DS Phat never had a battery life over about 8 hours with the back light on (weak one too compared to the lite and DSi). Without it, I guess it could hit about 12, but if I wanted to play a handheld without a back light, I would pick up an original GBA, GBC, or GB.

Battery life will just never be something we can appreciate once you start stacking on features. Oh well, most people play their DS on the charger anyways, so it isn't a huge deal. Any casual outings with it are sure not to drain the battery completely either. Long trips and such will be a problem, but in that case, pack one of the millions of car chargers that are bound to get released.

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can always buy another battery like Radioshack, Amazon and several other stores sold for the ds. Sure the third party batteries died more quickly but some of them had great battery life for the first month 10-20 hours.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Rasas said:
You can always buy another battery like Radioshack, Amazon and several other stores sold for the ds. Sure the third party batteries died more quickly but some of them had great battery life for the first month 10-20 hours.

Only downside is that once both batteries die, unless you had a spare 3DS to charge one in, then you have to let BOTH of them charge. etc. etc. for more and more batteries. Sure, some people could make it work, but for others, it would be endless charging. I also don't see many splurging for a second 3DS as a charger, where as normal DSlites and such were very easy to get extras of for cheap, that at the very least, worked as a charging station.

Maybe people have other ways to get it done, but I've never done it simply for why I stated above.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it