Hardware 3DS AC Adapter Input Voltage Range?

violagirl23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All electronics I have, down to my cell phone charger, have 100-240v as the input, with the exception of my DS charger, which will not take an input of above 110v. Does anyone have a Japanese 3DS and can tell me if the AC adapter for the 3DS the same? It would say on the charger itself what input voltages it will accept. I travel a lot so I just wanted to know if I will have to end up buying a 3rd party charger or not. I wasn't sure if they were still gonna make the chargers region-specific down to the input voltage...
unsure.gif

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Of course they will make it region specific. You can't make a Japanese 3DS with a voltage input for Uruguay.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Ikki said:
Of course they will make it region specific. You can't make a Japanese 3DS with a voltage input for Uruguay.
It's standard now for most plugs to have them accept the full range (of first world countries) of mains voltages.
My Japanese DS Lite's charger did the full range, for example.
Having said that, my US DSi charger needs a transformer for my Irish plug, so oh well.

America and Japan have similar voltages though, so...

QUOTEVoltage levels

All of Europe and most of South America, Africa and Asia, as well as Australia and New Zealand use a supply that is within 10% of 230 V, whereas Japan, North America and some parts of northern South America use a voltage between 100 and 127 V. In general, most of the world uses the 230 V standard. This also means that standard 230 V equipment can be used in most parts of the world, with only a minor change in the equipment's electrical plug for a specific country.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The European DS/DSL charger was 100-240V compliant, the same could not be said about the Japanese and North American chargers though.

I'd guess the same scenario would apply for the 3DS.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
violagirl23 said:
All electronics I have, down to my cell phone charger, have 100-240v as the input, with the exception of my DS charger, which will not take an input of above 110v. Does anyone have a Japanese 3DS and can tell me if the AC adapter for the 3DS the same? It would say on the charger itself what input voltages it will accept. I travel a lot so I just wanted to know if I will have to end up buying a 3rd party charger or not. I wasn't sure if they were still gonna make the chargers region-specific down to the input voltage...
unsure.gif

All the 3DS adapter in Japan is keyed to 110V which is their standard. We can assume the North American versions will be keyed to 120V rather than be region agnostic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 3DS plug the same as the DSi ones? You could just get a region agnostic DSi charger and be set. Personally I just stick with USB cable versions of the charging cables. That way I only need one plug, but can swap out the cables to charge different devices, which is more convenient for travel. You can find USB DSi charging cables online for like $2-3

violagirl23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ikki said:
It's not the 3DS that is region-specific at all, it's the AC adapter. Basically, regardless of what the input voltage is, the 3DS itself can only handle somewhere from 4-6 volts. What the charger basically does is throttle the incoming voltage so that the DS only receives a small amount of the voltage. It doesn't matter how much voltage you start with, so long as it is lowered down the full amount. Therefore, a region-free charger (voltage-wise, not plug-shape wise) isn't that difficult to make, and almost all electronics now DO allow an input range of 100-240v. So you can't just say "of course" as if this is the norm, when in fact, Nintendo is lagging behind on that front; most electronics nowadays are at least dual-voltage.

doyama said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 3DS plug the same as the DSi ones? You could just get a region agnostic DSi charger and be set.
Good point, good point. I'd forgotten the plug was the same. That's a great idea.

QUOTE(Hop2089 @ Mar 3 2011, 08:00 AM)
I have a 3DS and it's 100-120v for the Japanese version
Works on US Outlets, it also has 50/60 HZ on it.
All right, thanks for the confirmation!
nayps3.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton