3D-Printed Handgun Project Hits Roadblock

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Oct 3, 2012.

Oct 3, 2012
  1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    If you haven't been reading up on 3D printing lately, you should. While the technology is still very much in its infancy, the potential it holds is staggering. They may soon be used to revolutionize factories, construction, and space exploration. (Please note: I'm not stopping there because I ran out of things to list; I'm stopping there because if I kept on going, I'd be here all night.)

3D Printing isn't just something large corporations and government agencies will have access to, either. Consumer models for the home are already being sold and marketed. Their use is a bit limited right now, but one group has been looking into changing all that.

The Defense Distributed project, lead by University of Texas graduate Cody Wilson, recently received funding to design a 3D-printable firearm. Anyone with a 3D printer and the proper materials would be able to forge their own handgun in the comforts of their home.

However, it looks like the project has suffered a bit of a misfire.

[​IMG] CNET

Considering the aim of this project, this sort of backlash isn't much of a surprise. The law around an initiative like this is pretty murky, and worry over the scope of it is certainly understandable. After all, how can you hope to regulate firearms when everyone can easily make their own?

Defense Distributed is not deterred, yet. Despite this wave of setbacks, they're refusing to recoil from the project's aims.

So, what do you think? Do these guys have a shot, or should they be suppressed in the name of safety?

2. Santee

Member Santee JalapeƱo

United States
    If they don't do it some other group will, it's not like they can prevent it completely, or at all for that matter.

3. Tom

Member Tom Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder

United States
    Yeah I saw, maybe they should just get a mendle reprap

4. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Once the plans hit the net, It's game over. Regardless of the legality of it. For that matter, it doesn't matter who publicly releases the plans for the first 3D printable handgun, because in the end SOMEONE will. The only way to combat this would be to combat the sale and distribution of 3D printers.

5. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    This should be stopped immediately! The United States already has a huge gun problem. Every day/night there's a new murder in the news and that's just the five county area I live in. Being a person who survived a armed home invasion, I can say from experience that allowing people to just print guns willy-nilly is a horrid idea.

1 person likes this.
  6. TwinRetro

United States
    I'll give you a hint: Guns never were the problem.

8 people like this.
  7. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    Woah....this sounds....mad. I agree with what TwinRetro is saying, perhaps 3d should be limited to where they are sold and used

8. LightyKD

United States
    People (especially on the right) say that all the damn time but frankly, easy access to handguns is not the solution either. There needs to be a national effort to deal with the mental health of its citizens and teaching better conflict resolution.

9. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    techcrunch had an article on this, which lead to another a site for building your own printer. I think there was a guy on there who printed his on assault rifle and claimed to have shot off 200 rounds

10. TwinRetro

United States
    If you take a look in any history book, you know that killing has been an unofficial pastime of the Human race long before the idea of propelling tiny bits of metal out of a narrow tube. If you take the guns out of law abiding citizen's hands, only criminals and the mentally unstable will have guns. Even if you somehow manage to rid the entire country of firearms (which is a large stretch), people will still kill people. If someone REALLY wants you dead, they certainly don't need a gun to do it.

4 people like this.
  11. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Don't have guns freely available here, people just stab each other instead.

1 person likes this.
  12. LightyKD

United States
    Yes, because humanity is destined to be barbaric for the rest of our specie's existence right? I swear, that mindset sickens me! I know that there have been great atrocities in the past but we are not a bunch of rabid killers. Humans have sensibility, free will and the ability to do what is right, we dream great dreams and create great things. It all boils down to mindset and frankly there just needs to be a better effort in this less than great country to teach people how to deal with their problems in a way that does not result in death.

13. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    If guns kill people then spoons make people fat.

3 people like this.
  14. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. frogboy

Member frogboy lacking both style and grace

United States
    I think I'm getting good, I can tell what topics are started by Gahars by reading the title.

16. TwinRetro

United States
    We are animals. Fact. We are Human. Fact. The "mindset" may sicken you, but we as a global people are not going to change our spots overnight. It might be several generations from now until we will survive as a peaceful race...or we will exterminate ourselves in that pursuit.

The fact of the matter is, it's cheaper to put people in prison, and ship people off in body bags than provide mental health to everyone that needs it. This is the society that we as a people have let grow and prosper, and if we want change, there is going to have to be a lot more people aware of their situation than there currently is now. That's going to be quite a task considering Television and Internet is more used as an escape from reality than a portal of information.

2 people like this.
  17. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It does not all boil down to "mindset." Some of it boils down to biology. There's a reason we all have four pointy teeth called "canines" in our mouths. Some truths cannot be changed by a mindset. That doesn't mean a human being cannot control their primitive urges and exercise reason over rage. In fact, most do. But the weak-minded and evil-hearted will always lose that battle to control their greed, lust, and hate, and resort to murder as a solution. Sorry, you don't want to hear that, but this is the human experience. Better look around and figure out what's up, and while you're at it, get a Remington 870.

18. LightyKD

United States
    Ever heard of "being the change you want to be". Sorry but I'm going to go running around packing a handgun just because everyone else thinks it's the cool/macho thing to do.

19. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    What's a 3D printer anyway? Is that one of those computerized thingies that carve miniatures of stuff?

Anyways, why print, it's relatively easy to build a wooden single-shooter. It's even easier to modify into a fist-shooter (one of those knuckle contraptions that, when you punch it into someone, triggers into firing a slug). Of course, you can't expect much range from that though.

You just need to know how to get the firing pin to the bullet. The rest is easy.

20. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States

A Remington 870 is a pump shotgun, for home defense. You know, to give you a fighting chance of keeping the people you love alive.