Gaming 3D Classics Excitebike

spiritofcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Didn't see a thread here about this game yet so I thought I'd start one.

I've never played the original Excitebike on the NES or whatever it was on, so this game is all new to me.

I've played a few tracks now and I think I'm getting the hang of it. Managed to get #1 on Track 2.
Seems the only controls are up and down to change lanes, and two buttons, Accelerate and Turbo.
Looks like Accelerate is the button to keep you going and Turbo makes you go a bit faster but heats up your engine.
From what I've experienced, Accelerate takes priority over Turbo when both buttons are held down.
A good strategy seems to be to hold both buttons and just release Accelerate when you want to go that bit faster for a jump or something.

I re-mapped my controls so that right shoulder button is Accelerate and left shoulder button is Turbo.

Just having a look at the course editor now. Looks like you get 32 slots for custom courses.
1-1 to 1-4, then 2-1 to 2-4 and so on through to 8-1 to 8-4.

Just discovered that Selection A means you ride by yourself just trying for the best time and Selection B pits you against AI opponents.

Hmmm, the AI opponents really get away at the start! There must be some kind of boost trick by pressing a button at just the right time.

morphius

The King of the Cosmos
Trophies
Website
pachimod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
its a pretty faithful remake of exitebike. Just wish it had the original tracks (both nes and arcade) and the bonus levels from the arcade.

one thing of interest, mess with the 3d slider ... not only does it change the 3d depth, but it also changes video perspective.

Dash_2

Hello I'm Dash!
Trophies
Website
www.gofundme.com
XP
Country
morphius said:
its a pretty faithful remake of exitebike. Just wish it had the original tracks (both nes and arcade) and the bonus levels from the arcade.

one thing of interest, mess with the 3d slider ... not only does it change the 3d depth, but it also changes video perspective.

yeah i totally noticed that too trippy huh ?

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Played this on a mate's 3DS.

Well I had zero expectation of it being 'must have' and I was right. It's a good remake of excitebike though, but the whole '3D Classics' part of it was a bit meh. It makes me wonder why Nintendo would choose EXCITEBIKE and not STARFOX as their launch for the 3D classics range.

L_o_N_e_R

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NiGHtS said:

Well I had zero expectation of it being 'must have' and I was right. It's a good remake of excitebike though, but the whole '3D Classics' part of it was a bit meh. It makes me wonder why Nintendo would choose EXCITEBIKE and not STARFOX as their launch for the 3D classics range.

probably because they are doing a remake of the n64 version?

i loved excitebike when i got it for the ereader, and im still loving it now on the 3ds

although i kinda wished that links awakening was released too :/

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
L_o_N_e_R said:
NiGHtS said:

probably because they are doing a remake of the n64 version?

Which gives them even more reason to release starfox! It could've generated some interest.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty lackluster, imo. Was hoping for some better features. If they're going to make the custom track system better, why not give us a way to share them?

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The 3D effect is more noticeable as you adjust, it makes a stark effect. It seems to me that different games/menus/OK GO video (r.i.p.) can have varying intensities and qualities.

I don't know what the hell you people were expecting for a free old videogame turned 3D.

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah it's not the most exciting thing in the world. Then again, it is free, and it IS Excitebike, which I never found interesting in the first place, so whatever.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
It's new levels, 3D update, AND a level editor? AND FREE? Why are you guys complaining?

This IS what Excitebike was. If you don't like it you obviously wouldn't appreciate the original either, so stop wasting your time saying it sucks because in turn you're saying so does the original and if that's the case you were doomed to hate it from the start.

I think the fact they included a level editor is SO AWESOME. However... so far I found no way to share tracks. is there a way to? If not then I would have to admit I am a little disappointed too (albeit a different reason).

L_o_N_e_R

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
It's new levels, 3D update, AND a level editor? AND FREE? Why are you guys complaining?

This IS what Excitebike was. If you don't like it you obviously wouldn't appreciate the original either, so stop wasting your time saying it sucks because in turn you're saying so does the original and if that's the case you were doomed to hate it from the start.

I think the fact they included a level editor is SO AWESOME. However... so far I found no way to share tracks. is there a way to? If not then I would have to admit I am a little disappointed too (albeit a different reason).

something like a leaderboard would have been great too

well apps can get updates on the eshop, so hopefully it'll be implemented in the near future

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
It's really boring, but I wasn't expecting anything from it anyway. Nothing new there.
Shame most of the products in the Eshop are overpriced!
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: where are my cute girls