LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Tempers,

I'm converting a almost dying laptop into a poor mans's HD game console (mostly to make the laptop useful again). I installed Windows 8 and OnLive to the thing last night but I was wondering if there was any way I could get the 360 controller to work with Metro UI. It just feels off to have this setup that's perfect for a controller but not be able to use one. Also, if I could figure out a way to use the guide button to turn on this "console" that would kick ass too.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd recommend not using Windows 8, but if you're sure about it...

Find Xpadder, you can map the 360's buttons to your keyboard and mouse.

Most of the games I will run wont be native windows games (this laptop just isnt powerful enough / no pixel shader 3.0). Windows 8 is solely used for Metro Ui and the console feel and 75 % of gaming will be done through OnLive.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

Most of the games I will run wont be native windows games (this laptop just isnt powerful enough / no pixel shader 3.0). Windows 8 is solely used for Metro Ui and the console feel and 75 % of gaming will be done through OnLive.
Okey dokey then.

I'm not too sure Xpadder works with Windows 8, but give it a try and it should work well enough. It supports virtually any controller as well, so you should have no problems getting it to work.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Okey dokey then.

I'm not too sure Xpadder works with Windows 8, but give it a try and it should work well enough. It supports virtually any controller as well, so you should have no problems getting it to work.

Thanks. I appreciate the info :)

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK. Quick Progress report. I managed to get Joy2Key working being as XPadder hates Windows 8. Here is my setup.

Left Stick = Mouse
Left Stick Button = Left Click
DPad = Arrow Keys
Back Key = Switch back to normal controller function (This is pressed after I login to OnLive or begin a emulated game)
A = Enter
X = Left Click
B = Right Click
Y = Ctrl+Esc (This allows me to get back to Metro UI. since the whole point of this project is to turn this old laptop into a game console, I don't want to see the desktop unless I absolutely have to)

There are a few issues.

A - I cant seem to figure out a button command to bring out the on screen or touch keyboards. This would help greatly for browsing with a controller

B - Once you exit out of the Metro UI controller setup with the "back" key, you have to get back up and re open Joy2Key with the physical keyboard and trackpad. This could be eliminated if there was some way to be able to block Joy2Key from interacting with certain programs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok