3-5 Hours of Battery Life

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Slyakin said:
I'm just surprised at all the hate.

Wasn't this expected? I'm okay with this, because I'm not gonna play for 3-5 hours in one sitting.

What are the chances you'd play 3-5 hours in a row without a power source to recharge next to you?

SmokeFox

Trophies
Website
www.romhacking.net
XP
Country
Brazil
This is something that i have fear, because if the battery is that bad, will generate a lot of complains, so Nintendo will do another 3DS with better battery. Like Nds and NDS lite.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What worries me is that Nintendo has always exaggerated battery life. I never got the juice they promised out of my DS Lite... can't help but feel that 3 hours will be the absolute best you can get out of the system in a normal usage environment.

That's not alright. The bus trip I take to my aunt's house is 6 hours long. It's a reasonable trip time, and any handheld I take with me should be able to hold out at least that long. I can't imagine having to take an extra battery with me for such a short trip!

I'll stick with my DSL until the 3DS SUPERBATTERY DX comes along, thank ya.

There's still good games I haven't played yet... plus GBA.

hakujintanuki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slyakin said:
I'm just surprised at all the hate.

Wasn't this expected? I'm okay with this, because I'm not gonna play for 3-5 hours in one sitting.

Quite possibly the most sensible thing I've heard said on this topic, here or elsewhere.

The people who are upset by this seriously need a reality check. Will you really be playing for more than 3 hours in a single sitting while you're away from home?

This is why Nintendo is including the docking station/cradle deal with the system. You're meant to drop it there when you are done playing, so it's ready to go next time you are gonna play.
If you're gonna play for more than 3 hours while at home, plug it in when the need arises.
If you know you're going to be away from home, but will perhaps play more than 3 hours, then plan ahead in such a case and bring the AC Adapter with you.

With Nintendo encouraging charging often, the battery is most likely of the infolithium type that constant recharging without the battery being mostly drained doesn't affect the overall longevity of the battery.

cyberninja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MarkDarkness said:
That's not alright. The bus trip I take to my aunt's house is 6 hours long. It's a reasonable trip time, and any handheld I take with me should be able to hold out at least that long. I can't imagine having to take an extra battery with me for such a short trip!

They should make the battery easily removable so that people can buy extras and keep them charged and switch them over when needed.

milkchocolate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats a joke 3-5 hours it will in reality be 2 hours battery life, thats not mobile gaming even my netbook lasts 8 hours with a dual n550.

could this be in relation to problems with the eyes from looking too long at 3d?!

D

Deleted User

I've been hyped about the 3DS for ages. Along comes the NGP and I'm instantly taken.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
cyberninja said:
They should make the battery easily removable so that people can buy extras and keep them charged and switch them over when needed.
can be even easier than changing the batteries.
some company could easily modify the design of the charging dock a little by inserting a battery and make it clip onto the 3DS.
may make the 3DS a few mm thicker, but it could add a few hours of battery life.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well until battery technology improves this will become even more true for next generation of portable devices. Even if they have lower power CPU the problems are those screen with their stupid energy hungry backlight. So until backlight tech or battery tech evolves theres not much to do about it unless a new type of screen brings us the answer...

dryganaye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
It's a shame that battery technology doesn't seem to have advanced in tandem with cheap and powerful pocket gadgets. I've taken to having on battery for my HTC Hero in my phone, one in my jeans watch pocket and one charging at home because one battery wont last a day if I'm out all day geocaching or at a football match and checking the scores and my fantasy team all day.

Yup, its no use blaming Nintendo or Sony; this is the basic crux of the problem: Battery storage technology just hasn't kept pace with the other sectors of technology. We're up into the terabytes of storage for hard drives, billions of operations a second for processors and batteries are still stuck with lithium-ion technology (which was discovered in the 70's, I think!!). If someone would/could perfect a long-lasting and safe fuel-cell battery they'd make billions - easily - with the overwhelming need for batteries nowadays (Not just handheld gadgets, but the nextgen electric vehicles).

Either that or we need an entirely new and less energy-demanding way of processing and computing information. (Light-based instead of electrical-based computers/processing technology, quantum processing??)

Freudian Lemur

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Another World said:
The 3D aspects require different lighting per-eye which means a high brightness setting to maintain the correct light needed for 3D effects.
You sure about that "per-eye" bit? I thought it was that the parallax barrier made the screen appear darker, so the backlight had to be brighter. Are you maybe getting confused with the power save mode? That's where the backlight is lowered when the overall image on screen is darker (also allowing for blacker blacks on screen). Sounds like a good feature to me!

milkchocolate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just spoke with a guy from nintendo PR and the battery is in fact so short cos of the stress on the eyes from 3d. its solely health reasons.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
milkchocolate said:
i just spoke with a guy from nintendo PR and the battery is in fact so short cos of the stress on the eyes from 3d. its solely health reasons.
And you believed that BS?
mellow.gif

QUOTE(pyrmon24 @ Jan 29 2011, 05:44 PM) More reasons to turn 3D off.
Probably won't help. As I understand it, the screen is made to show one picture to the left eye and one to the right. This won't change when you turn 3D off, it will simply show the same picture to both eyes.

Couldn't Nintendo have made the 3DS and thus it's battery a little bit larger? 3 hours is pretty ridiculous, most train trips take longer than that. The Pandora has 10-14 hours of battery life, and that's under full load, not just playing mp3s.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
heartgold said:
3DS battery life:

3-5 hours - with 3D on
8 hours - no 3D and max brightness
8+ hours - no 3D, low brightness, wireless off

I didn't read anything saying this in the source. It says, at most, 5 hours with backlight to the lowest settings. Give me a new source or I'll call bull honky.

For everyone complaining about the NGP going to have "Shit battery life" and the 3DS having "better battery life", they're about the same. So stop complaining.

I've posted sources regarding battery life some time ago, I can't be bothered to search now.

If you missed it, too bad.

EDIT: My thread
Well there you go

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...So it means you gotta charge it every night like you really should do anyway? Okay, not a big surprise again. I already do that anyway. It doesn't kill you people to plug it into the wall, you know. And it IS playable on the charger. Get one of those USB DS/DSlite/DSi charger cords, if anything. Stop being surprised at lower battery life. These things aren't phones. They do far, FAR better at games then phones ever will.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heartgold said:
8+ hours - no 3D, low brightness, wireless off
This'll probably be me, in fact, I keep my DSiXL on brightness setting "1" 99% of the time and have no real intention of using the 3D very much. So I'm okay with it I guess.Still pretty disappointed, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah been there had that no fun +1